David Williams

Breakfast allowance

Looking at recent tweets, there seems to be a change in the CV breakfast allowance in that it is worth £8.50 in the self service or £10.60 in the a la carte (ie no supplement for the buffet).

I have my tickets for two return trips this year, all of them clearly state, "You have an allowance of £8.50 towards breakfast items only, this must be spent in
a single transaction at any food outlet x 2". I would have thought such a change as you mention would have led to an amended ticket being issued.

Club Voyage Newsletter – January 2020.     ...................     arrived yesterday and featured the following.......

One of the many benefits of your Club Voyage membership is the saving you receive on dining on board; including 10% off a minimum spend of £15 in the restaurants and that fantastic allowance of £8.50 per person off breakfast when you travel overnight in a cabin*. But did you know that you can also enjoy your buffet or continental petit déjeuner in the à la carte restaurant? Whereas you could expect to pay £10.60 for this delectable start to your day, with your membership you can enjoy it for absolutely free!

However I think the cooked breakfast still costs a couple of pounds more ?

• Like 1

We were on the cap portsmouth to bilbao on Monday morning,so did not have breakfast on that day.yet on tuesday morning we had breakfast in the restaurant and with our club voyage discount it still cost £8pounds.at the time I thought it was a bit steep and after reading this it looks like we were done either by accident or other reasons.

8 hours ago, nodwad said:

We were on the cap portsmouth to bilbao on Monday morning,so did not have breakfast on that day.yet on tuesday morning we had breakfast in the restaurant and with our club voyage discount it still cost £8pounds.at the time I thought it was a bit steep and after reading this it looks like we were done either by accident or other reasons.

Nodwad, it would be worth you emailing customer services about this as we had a similar experience a couple of years ago when travelling to Spain for a winter holiday.  We presented our cabin key as usual to cover the cost of breakfast but were told we must pay so we did.  Back in the cabin I checked my ticket and it clearly stated we had a breakfast allowance so I went to the reception desk to query it but didn't get any joy there. Once I got home I emailed customer services who were very apologetic and sent me a voucher to use in any of their food outlets on a future crossing.

At breakfast we have always had to present our printed booking slip which shows the amount of discount - I forgot it one morning so showed my cabin key which wasn't accepted so had to return to the cabin to retrieve the ticket.....

24 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

At breakfast we have always had to present our printed booking slip which shows the amount of discount - I forgot it one morning so showed my cabin key which wasn't accepted so had to return to the cabin to retrieve the ticket.....

That’s odd on Pont and cap I always show my club voyage card and they always ask for the cabin key which SWMBO keeps in case I loose it so she has to delve into the bottomless bag to find it!

For me it's always been given on production of the cabin key, I've never had to show a CV card. On last years sailings the staff weren't even taking the couple of pounds extra for the full breakfast... didn't save anything as the few quid went into the tip bowl instead.

• Like 1

I’ve always got my discount with my cabin key never had to use anything else on any ship , Armorique,MSM,Normandie,Pont or Bretagne.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

For me it's always been given on production of the cabin key, I've never had to show a CV card. On last years sailings the staff weren't even taking the couple of pounds extra for the full breakfast... didn't save anything as the few quid went into the tip bowl instead.

Seems to be a hit and miss - so since that one time I always use my printed ticket and never have a problem. 

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

I’ve never printed a ticket for a few years now.

Belts and Braces for me... always have print copies for Hotels, flights, cruise, ferries and all..... a flat iPhone battery is a worst nightmare....

On 18/01/2020 at 00:55, BZH29 said:

Club Voyage Newsletter – January 2020.     ...................     arrived yesterday and featured the following.......

One of the many benefits of your Club Voyage membership is the saving you receive on dining on board; including 10% off a minimum spend of £15 in the restaurants and that fantastic allowance of £8.50 per person off breakfast when you travel overnight in a cabin*. But did you know that you can also enjoy your buffet or continental petit déjeuner in the à la carte restaurant? Whereas you could expect to pay £10.60 for this delectable start to your day, with your membership you can enjoy it for absolutely free!

I wondered about this as well. We usually travel on the Spanish routes and our CV membership is for Spain. We have only ever shown our cabin key to get discounts and have never had the cooked breakfast so did not know that this too comes free with CV membership...if it indeed does.

A nice touch is 2 free breakfasts if you do the Sunday night to Tuesday morning sailing to Bilbao. Mind, you do have to be up early to enjoy the Tuesday one.

14 minutes ago, Cassie said:

I wondered about this as well. We usually travel on the Spanish routes and our CV membership is for Spain. We have only ever shown our cabin key to get discounts and have never had the cooked breakfast so did not know that this too comes free with CV membership...if it indeed does.

A nice touch is 2 free breakfasts if you do the Sunday night to Tuesday morning sailing to Bilbao. Mind, you do have to be up early to enjoy the Tuesday one.

It is not free but you supposed to have a hefty discount and remember you are also paying every year to be a member of club voyage.mind you I don't object to this because if you only do one crossing a year it is still a saving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

Belts and Braces for me... always have print copies for Hotels, flights, cruise, ferries and all..... a flat iPhone battery is a worst nightmare....

I won’t be doing that when I do the Velo tour in September, 23 hotels and 2 ferry crossings bookings printed out and transported in  a bike pannier 😂

Edited by neilcvx

8 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I won’t be doing that when I do the Velo tour in September, 23 hotels and 2 ferry crossings bookings printed out and transported in  a bike pannier 😂

Why don't you get all the booking details printed up on biodegradable loo-roll and kill two birds with one stone. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.toiletface.co.uk/personalised-toilet-paper&ved=2ahUKEwjzk9yPwpHnAhUiA2MBHdwcAuAQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw3ScoCcQy__t05EkQ3_qDIi

Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Enjoyed reading all the contributions on this, and feeling rather jealous, as moving to Ireland meant losing Club Voyage membership (doesn't work on Cork-Roscoff. Still enjoy trips on Pont Aven.

15 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Well - Good luck with that 🤣 .........….........

Just booked using the latest 4 Day Stay Special Offer, and find despite paying full price for an overnight cabin (Portsmouth -St Malo), the ticket excludes breakfast.  Thought the Breakfast Offer was dependant on booking a cabin, so why so harsh? 

1 hour ago, juliadream said:

Just booked using the latest 4 Day Stay Special Offer, and find despite paying full price for an overnight cabin (Portsmouth -St Malo), the ticket excludes breakfast.  Thought the Breakfast Offer was dependant on booking a cabin, so why so harsh? 

It can depend on the offer, sometimes you get the breakfast allowance sometimes not.  I take it you are a full Club Voyage member.

6 hours ago, juliadream said:

Unfortunately the breakfast allowance isn't available for promotional fares.

Just as an aside on the breakfast you can have on the ticket.  I returned Caen - Portsmouth overnight  26th Feb with my wife and sister, they went for breakfast first while i had my shower and my sister proudly showed me with amazement how many yogurts and croissants she had and not been charged! I had a coffee and cooked breakfast and was asked to pay after giving my room key. The explanation given was the two other card holders had used up my allowance. 

Last time i'm being polite and letting them in front of me .

• Haha 4