Sign in to follow this  
JiveDancer99

One Week Cruise on Pont Aven

I have worked out that once Pont Aven returns with her new engine she will be operating a weekly schedule visiting Portsmouth, Santander, Plymouth, Roscoff, Cork, Roscoff, Plymouth, Santander and Portsmouth.  Has anyone ever booked all of these crossings in succession to make a week's long cruise?

Edited by JiveDancer99
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JiveDancer99 said:

I have worked out that once Pont Aven returns with her new engine she will be operating a weekly schedule visiting Portsmouth, Santander, Plymouth, Roscoff, Cork, Roscoff, Plymouth, Santander and Portsmouth.  Has anyone ever booked all of these crossings in succession to make a week's long cruise?

That’s her normal in-season schedule.  She had to deviate from it last year because of the engine problems, but otherwise she has been operating that schedule pretty much since BF opened the Portsmouth-Santander route.

19 hours ago, JiveDancer99 said:

Add up the cost with a cabin and meals all the way and let us know please.  

I thought about it (and may even have researched / asked about it) once before.  I’m pretty sure that one of the issues I discovered was that it would be tricky to achieve a booking for the whole cruise to use the same cabin.  And, even if you could get around that problem, you probably wouldn’t be able to keep your stuff in the cabin in any case.  At each port there would be a need to fully disembark, with all your stuff, including vacating the cabin.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

I thought about it (and may even have researched / asked about it) once before.  I’m pretty sure that one of the issues I discovered was that it would be tricky to achieve a booking for the whole cruise to use the same cabin.  And, even if you could get around that problem, you probably wouldn’t be able to keep your stuff in the cabin in any case.  At each port there would be a need to fully disembark, with all your stuff, including vacating the cabin.

I think that it would be a bit boring !  I am sure that BF would cooperate with looking at cabins available for more than one crossing, however the hanging space is not that great so moving cabins will not be that much of a chore and would allow cleaning to be done.

I would imagine that the 2 night cruise (https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/offers/ferry/mini-cruises/whale-dolphin-cruise/itinerary#tab-3) is in the same cabin.

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

I am not certain but I have seen signs on cabin doors saying do not clean on trips to Santander. I assumed these were for the cruise passenger's who would not change cabins on the return. Also on the Bretagne to St Malo tonight we can leave our stuff in the cabin for the return on Tuesday. (Thanks for the BFE offer)

Ian 

Wessex Continental travel offer (or used to) a double rotation Mini Cruise which would be the best value.

You could do:

Plymouth - Santander - Portsmouth - Santander - Plymouth, (or similar).

I don't think they still offer it, but you may be able to do it directly. Not sure if BF are advertising mini-cruises this year?

When the Val de Loire operated the Roscoff/Plymouth/Santander/Plymouth/Roscoff/Cork/Roscoff rotations you could book one of two "Stages de navigation en mer", a one week hands-on cruise learning about either technical/engine room operations or navagation/safety. The price included all meals, accommodation and a certificate of competence. I did email BF about whether this was still available when PA entered service, but never received an answer.  Also, I often do a quick trip to Le Havre, Cherbourg or Ouistreham (and indeed Hoek Van Holland) and have always been allowed to keep my belongings in my cabin during the turn-around. On some BF ships they put a sticker on the cabin door saying "Mini-Croisiere" so the cleaners know not to bother going in. I've noticed this on PA in Santander too.

• Like 2

I believe the nav or engine courses ended due to the usual bag of health and safety, security and insurance.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

Who was the certificate issued by?  Was it a recognised certification body?

No, it was purely an in-house BF course. 

6 hours ago, Jean Bart said:

On some BF ships they put a sticker on the cabin door saying "Mini-Croisiere" so the cleaners know not to bother going in. I've noticed this on PA in Santander too.

Yes, that's certainly the case when doing a mini-cruise to St Malo. Your ticket usually has the below on it:

image.thumb.png.abfafad036aef4a2727e20e14054cb15.png

and your cabin door will have a sticker similar to this one:

image.png.bd267bfc13b02036eb78bd05439324d0.png