Sign in to follow this  
David Williams

BF operations to Le Havre (and related history!)

13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Can’t see what routes these use.  But honestly, Ed, I don’t think you can draw much with confidence from these dodgy bits of software.  You really need a chart, to draw the route, and then measure it.  To repeat what I said previously, Cork-Santander is a straight line course (once out of port confines) but Rosslare-Santander cannot possibly be.  The TSSs will either have to be followed for a bit, or crossed at right angles, off Ushant and Land’s End.  And it is quite possible that Rosslare would have slightly different distances northbound and southbound for that reason.  Alternatively, the TSSs could be avoided by passing outside them, but that would entail a slight detour from the great circle route and would introduce a slight dogleg into the couse.

Anyway - bearing in mind what Chef said about time navigating in port, I suspect that there may not be a significant difference in crossing time, and I concede that the premise behind my raising this as a possible issue was probably not correct.

• Like 1

I'm on the train right now so don't really have the space to spread any charts out, even if it had them with me which I don't. So let's agree that the distances are relatvely comparable and saiing times are too given the navigational obstacles. Therefore any change of port will not result in significant timetable upheaval.  Ed. 

• Like 1

Just to mess things up a bit more, there is always the issue as to what speed a  vessel would operate at from the respective ports , 

• Like 1

So we’re back to BF could move the Santander route to Rosslare if they wanted to. 😃

I suppose we’d better get this thread back to the Le Havre end of the rumour.  (But the brief excursion to Ireland was rather forced by the fact that the Cork thread has been hijacked from serious discourse by the emergence of a seemingly popular limerick competition!) 🤣

10 minutes ago, Chef said:

Just to mess things up a bit more, there is always the issue as to what speed a  vessel would operate at from the respective ports , 

No matter which ship they use, it's bound to be faster heading south as it's all downhill. Ed. 

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

No matter which ship they use, it's bound to be faster heading south as it's all downhill. Ed. 

Just to throw another consideration into the loop - I reckon CF could bring Ireland to Spain down to 24 hours.

• Like 1

So how about this for a theory:  CF does 1 round trip Rosslare to Santander and 2 round trips Rosslare to Le Havre per week...

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

So how about this for a theory:  CF does 1 round trip Rosslare to Santander and 2 round trips Rosslare to Le Havre per week...

Seems reasonable. Would she also be able to fit in a dash to Portsmouth and back between the Rosslare trips? Ed. 

Something like this, which fits around the timings of the main Le Havre ship as well as PA's Monday call at Santander.  It's predicated on CF requiring 24 hours for Rosslare-Santander, 18 hours for Rosslare-Le Havre (ICL used to take 21) and 5 hours Portsmouth-Le Havre.  It also allows generous catch-up time and turn round times for the longer routes.  Timings the same for both Rosslare - Le Havre sailings in both directions:

Monday: 1700 arr Santander; 2000 dep Santander

Tuesday:  1900 arr Rosslare; 2200 dep Rosslare

Wednesday:  1700 arr Le Havre; 2000 dep Le Havre

Thursday:  1300 arr Rosslare;  2200 dep Rosslare

Friday:   1700 arr Le Havre; 2200 dep Le Havre

Saturday:  0700 arr Portsmouth; 1100 dep Portsmouth; 1700 arr Le Havre; 2000 dep Le Havre

Sunday:  1300 arr Rosslare; 1600 dep Rosslare

On 22/01/2020 at 22:17, LHCity said:

All major French ports are blocked by professional unions (CGT !!!) because of the pension reform:

Le Havre, the first and largest port in France
Marseille, the second port in France for containers
Dunkirk
Bordeaux,
Nantes-St-Nazaire,
Rouen

These are the major national seaports of interest. The other secondary ports are not affected by blockages.

Professional unions fight the Prime Minister, Edouard Philippe, former mayor of Le Havre ... and likely future candidate for mayor of Le Havre

So is that why currently BF's other ports unaffected ?

35 minutes ago, Gareth said:

So we’re back to BF could move the Santander route to Rosslare if they wanted to. 😃

I suppose we’d better get this thread back to the Le Havre end of the rumour.  (But the brief excursion to Ireland was rather forced by the fact that the Cork thread has been hijacked from serious discourse by the emergence of a seemingly popular limerick competition!) 🤣

Just "roll" with it , could someone please pass the butter ! .

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, hf_uk said:

So is that why currently BF's other ports unaffected ?

Because there are two kinds of ports in France: National ports (Le Havre, Marseille ...) and regional ports (Cherbourg, Dieppe, Toulon ...). The very powerful CGT union in national ports is at war with the government against pension reform. The French Prime Minister is Edouard Philippe, Mayor of Le Havre.

These strikes were very political at the expense of the French economy. Le Havre is the 1st port in France, 5th port in Europe by volume.

I'm not sure what thread this was discussed on but I read just now, from a reliable source, that when the charter of 'Kerry' ends, 'Connemara' will take over (as predicted by many). However, 'Cap Finistere' will be replacing 'Etretat', not Baie de Seine. - 'Etretat' will be changing to 'Baie de Seine's timetable when she leaves. I believe many said that 'Cap Finistere' would be replacing 'BdS'.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I'm not sure what thread this was discussed on but I read just now, from a reliable source, that when the charter of 'Kerry' ends, 'Connemara' will take over (as predicted by many). However, 'Cap Finistere' will be replacing 'Etretat', not Baie de Seine. - 'Etretat' will be changing to 'Baie de Seine's timetable when she leaves. I believe many said that 'Cap Finistere' would be replacing 'BdS'.

I think whoever wrote that has been on the duty free sherry Tony.

Connemara is covering for BDS until Galicia arrives in September, it's why they brought Kerry in. Unless there's a fundamental implosion within the walls of BF towers Cap Finistere won't be replacing Etretat, firstly that's Normandie's job, currently taking over in September and secondly only A SOMANOR vessel can do that.

• Like 1

Well considering my source is a crew member on Connemara, I'm going with his comment for now. As Jim commented earlier, timetables can change.

Or maybe I mis-translated the comment Jonno.

Capture.JPG

Edited by TonyMWeaver

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Why such big writing LHC?

Yes I feel a little belittled by the big writing. But Le Havre is a big city I suppose :D

• Haha 1