Sign in to follow this  
Penlan

Incident involving Stena Europa

This seems a good site for people in the know.

I heard a tale that, fresh back from her chaotic rebuild the Europa was entering Rosslare and somehow managed to pile into the linkspan at 7 knts.

This is alleged to have done a bit of damage including making a hole under the waterline meaning she is now permanently taking water and the pumps are running continuously.

She has been running sporadically the last few days but the rather draughty weather and choppy seas could well account for that.

The grapevine  suggests this is going to need an out of the water type repair and cost a fair old wad of money.

Anyone know anything?

R

I would think that even a hole above the water line would be sufficient to be taken out of service .

• Like 3

One would hope so, but my source is a frequent flyer who commutes between by here and by there weekly. I just hope he stays a frequent flyer and not one time submariner...

R

If the incident described above really did take place then Stena and/or Stena Europe's captain would have been obliged to notify Ireland's MCIB.  Failure to notify would leave them open to prosecution.  There's no mention of the above incident on mcib.ie. I doubt it took place, or if it did, it's far less serious than described above.  Also, I can't see a linkspan surviving being hit by a 25,000 ton ship travelling at 7 knots. 

If such an incident had occurred, it would have been public knowledge. As has been said the announcement of an investigation would have given it away. Even without that, the press would have been all over a passenger ship accident.