Hinkley

Cork-Santander to become Rosslare-Bilbao

Heard last night that Cork Santander will be cancelled at end of February. Has anyone else heard any news of same?

5 hours ago, Hinkley said:

Heard last night that Cork Santander will be cancelled at end of February. Has anyone else heard any news of same?

What's the source of that information?  Both Kerry and Connemara are still listed on the timetable until the end of the current season.

https://www.brittanyferries.ie/ferry-routes/ireland-spain-ferries/cork-santander/timetable

Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

10 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Pont-Aven, Connemara, and  Kerry are all timetabled until the end of October.

Bore Bay is still in the timetable until the end of March !

However I thought that Kerry was on a 1 year contract so unless BF have other plans for her, it is unlikely (unless it will be used to replace the Pelican !)

ps - maybe it is just a ruse to get some EU subsidies to connect Ireland and Spain !

pps - this is probably not a sailing update topic !

Edited by David Williams

38 minutes ago, David Williams said:

pps - this is probably not a sailing update topic !

My thought too.  Neither can it (yet) be considered "news".  Have moved to a more appropriate place.

58 minutes ago, Gareth said:

My thought too.  Neither can it (yet) be considered "news".  Have moved to a more appropriate place.

I could start more rumours for you if you would like .

• Like 1

Whilst agreeing that this, as it stands, seems baseless... to those citing the timetables, just remember they can be changed(!)

• Like 2

If the Admin want to close this I have no problem with that. It seems to me that the investment BF have made on this route would indicate that they are in it for the long run. I was enquiring as to if anyone else had heard rumour's that there may be a change. H.

3 minutes ago, Hinkley said:

If the Admin want to close this I have no problem with that. It seems to me that the investment BF have made on this route would indicate that they are in it for the long run. I was enquiring as to if anyone else had heard rumour's that there may be a change. H.

We may do, Hinkley, but before we get there, it would be useful if you could give us a pointer to where you found the information. 😀

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

We may do, Hinkley, but before we get there, it would be useful if you could give us a pointer to where you found the information. 😀

We need to know who the identity of the whistleblower .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hinkley said:

I heard it wasn't very busy. But unlikely to close now I would have thought when there are fewer sailings to Spain, with the PA being out. Also no Irish ferries in Roscoff now, which means (I would have thought) that BF needs to keep a presence, especially if this new Grimaldi route every starts! 

I suspect it’s more likely to be a case of someone hearing something and getting the wrong end of the stick than a whistleblower.  If it’s true then it will become more widely known in time.  For the time being, I suspect (and I believe Hinkley agrees) we should treat this as just a rumour and nothing more.

• Thanks 1

A few observations...

BAI have a berthing agreement at Ringaskiddy & Santander for Connemara which runs for an initial two years, this ends in May and is in effect a get out of jail free card. If not the agreement automatically renews until 2023.

SOMABRET's agreement is longer at Ringaskiddy and runs until 2026, the 40th anniversary of when the society took over the route from the bankrupt Brittany Ferries.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

I heard it wasn't very busy. But unlikely to close now I would have thought when there are fewer sailings to Spain, with the PA being out. Also no Irish ferries in Roscoff now, which means (I would have thought) that BF needs to keep a presence, especially if this new Grimaldi route every starts! 

Grimaldi have denied any knowledge of any proposed route from Vigo so too have GNV and none of the ports mentioned have even been approached for a discussion. Neither of them own or operate the vessel in question either. I'd also love to know what vessel travelling at 24kts would cover the distance from Vigo to Cork (the rumoured first port of call) in 28 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Grimaldi have denied any knowledge of any proposed route from Vigo so too have GNV and none of the ports mentioned have even been approached for a discussion. Neither of them own or operate the vessel in question either. I'd also love to know what vessel travelling at 24kts would cover the distance from Vigo to Cork (the rumoured first port of call) in 28 hours.

Condor Liberation?😊

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Condor Liberation?😊

I was going to make the same suggestion but didn't dare. It would certainly be a civilised way of getting there. Ed. 

On 24/01/2020 at 02:58, Hinkley said:

Returning to Hinkley's original question, I've just tried a dummy booking on the Spanish website for Cork-Santander and it would have accepted payment if I had completed the booking, I can't imagine this to be the case if there was any question of the route being withdrawn shortly. However I wonder whether the rumour has arisen because if as anticipated Cap Finisterre takes over from Kerry once Galicia arrives later this year, and opinion is that she is too long to operate out of Cork, there is plenty of speculation about her moving to Rosslare to operate (maybe) a twice weekly rotation to Santander and a French one to either Roscoff or maybe Le Havre.

If that is the case, and it does make sense, then Cork - Santander will effectively be curtailed, just not yet.

Chris

• Like 1

It wouldn’t make sense for BF to run from two different Irish ports (sailings are not frequent enough), so if Chris is right then that would surely signal the beginning of the end of BF’s association with Cork.  I think that would be a shame, if that happened.

5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It wouldn’t make sense for BF to run from two different Irish ports (sailings are not frequent enough), so if Chris is right then that would surely signal the beginning of the end of BF’s association with Cork.  I think that would be a shame, if that happened.

Would it partly be Corks fault, instead of increasing the berth size from reports they seem to be restricting the access to the berth.  With the increasing size of ferries, at the moment only one of BF's cruise fleet is able to use Cork, they might be shooting themselves in the foot when there are other ports that BF could sail to.

• Like 1

One of the things that has distinguished BF in the past (I’m sure by accident rather than design) is the fact that, in general, its ports and their environs are worthy destinations in their own right.  The classic BF ports of Portsmouth, Poole, Plymouth, St Malo, Roscoff and Santander are gems of places that are a delight to sail in and out of and where is is more than possible to spend an enjoyable day visiting.

Ouistreham itself may not have much to commend it, but the surrounds of D-Day heritage give it unique appeal.  Cherbourg is worthy of a visit.

The move of the Bilbao terminal out of town, and operating to Le Havre, marked a move away from this phenomenon.  But dropping the charms of Cork harbour for the functional industrial blandness of Rosslare Europoort would be in a different league.  It would actually become the first BF port that I would have no interest in sailing to just for the sake of it.

I think this may stem from this announcement yesterday...

A Brittany Ferries rail line from Cherbourg to Bayonne... this would surely mean more Ireland-Cherbourg services possibly replacing the Ireland/Spain route...?

https://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/la-brittany-ferries-prend-le-rail-6705595?fbclid=IwAR2KCQ2sgp7jqAHrFU8tOiS1f9NsPZqpkIAqb4CQlBZxU5eMZIMjQ0u85LQ

Companies that do not adapt are doomed to disappear. It is by relying on this formula that Jean-Marc Roué, president of Brittany Ferries, formalized this Friday evening the launch of the new major project of the shipping company.

He took advantage of the company's corporate vows ceremony in Bénouville near Caen.  We must take into account the challenges of Brexit which are already disrupting traffic, insists Jean-Marc Roué. For example, over the past year we have seen a 30% increase in truck traffic between the Iberian Peninsula and the United Kingdom. 

Brittany's response to this phenomenon:  The launch of our rail motorway between the Basque Country, the United Kingdom and Ireland via the port of Cherbourg

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Gareth said:

But dropping the charms of Cork harbour for the functional industrial blandness of Rosslare Europoort would be in a different league.  It would actually become the first BF port that I would have no interest in sailing to just for the sake of it.

Indeed Gareth and many will agree with you, but these days they need to follow the biggest growth of the Dinero...Rosslare might give them more bang for their bucks, as they say..

I'd better get a move on and book a weekend trip from Roscoff to Cork in that case before the opportunity dissappears. Ed. 

26 minutes ago, ollie@portsmouth said:

I think this may stem from this announcement yesterday...

A Brittany Ferries rail line from Cherbourg to Bayonne... this would surely mean more Ireland-Cherbourg services possibly replacing the Ireland/Spain route...?

https://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/la-brittany-ferries-prend-le-rail-6705595?fbclid=IwAR2KCQ2sgp7jqAHrFU8tOiS1f9NsPZqpkIAqb4CQlBZxU5eMZIMjQ0u85LQ

Companies that do not adapt are doomed to disappear. It is by relying on this formula that Jean-Marc Roué, president of Brittany Ferries, formalized this Friday evening the launch of the new major project of the shipping company.

He took advantage of the company's corporate vows ceremony in Bénouville near Caen.  We must take into account the challenges of Brexit which are already disrupting traffic, insists Jean-Marc Roué. For example, over the past year we have seen a 30% increase in truck traffic between the Iberian Peninsula and the United Kingdom. 

Brittany's response to this phenomenon:  The launch of our rail motorway between the Basque Country, the United Kingdom and Ireland via the port of Cherbourg

That makes a route from Cherbourg to Rosslare using either CF or Normandie an interesting idea. The railway spur from Cherbourg's station to the port is still viable, could be brought back into service and may well be tested from time to time. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

13 minutes ago, Paully said:

Indeed Gareth and many will agree with you, but these days they need to follow the biggest growth of the Dinero...Rosslare might give them more bang for their bucks, as they say..

Absolutely Paul.  It won’t have any bearing on decison-making.  Just another indication of the changing character of the company’s product.

• Like 1