Hinkley

Cork-Santander to become Rosslare-Bilbao

The below suggests that the Irish rail operator is also about to make an announcement which perhaps ties in with the BF rail plans. 

10 minutes ago, Jim said:

As shared by @tarbyonline in the Ferries! Group, the above suggests some kind of announcement is imminent

41 minutes ago, Chef said:

At the moment Stena Superfast X is providing cover for Stena Horizon  on the Rosslare Cherbourg route , is Superfast X similar to CF . 

As far as I know they are near enough identical,  except perhaps when it come to scrubbers. Jonno will be able to confirm that I'm sure.

Ed. 

2 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

The whispers are it’s Brittany Ferries but until it’s official its not official!  Could it be Regina Line? 😜

I thought that it would be Seaborne Freight

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The below suggests that the Irish rail operator is also about to make an announcement which perhaps ties in with the BF rail plans. 

As far as I know they are near enough identical,  except perhaps when it come to scrubbers. Jonno will be able to confirm that I'm sure.

Ed. 

SSFX is very much a day ferry.  Hull form is the same AFAIK though.  She’s available apparently if anyone wants to buy a pre-loved ferry 

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tarbyonline said:

Hull form is the same AFAIK though.

That's what I assume the question was about. Could they both dock in the same places given their relative lengths etc. Ed. 

8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I suspect it's more that IR own the port...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Exactly that

someone just commented on a Facebook group it’s BF Rosslare - Le Havre.  Discuss 👀

Edited by tarbyonline

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

True, l forgot that but it makes sense logistically. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

That's what I assume the question was about. Could they both dock in the same places given their relative lengths etc. Ed. 

Maybe, maybe not.  SSFX is still modified from original, albeit not as much as she was at Dover.  There’s also the economics of running the Cap on the route as well to consider, especially when the competition is a visentini.  The cap would be good for pax no doubt, but as a year round mainly freight ship? 🤔. SSFX is on the route at the moment because she is spare (and with less than 50 cabins she obviously isn’t carrying many pax) - a bit different from a long term deployment.

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

Not exactly.  IR operate Rosslare.  But Rosslare is owned by "The Fishguard & Rosslare Railways & Harbours Company".  It was originally a joint venture, back in 1899, between the respective railway companies that operated into Fishguard and Rosslare.  The "Irish shares" came to be vested in Irish Rail.  The "UK shares" came to be vested in British Rail and are now owned by either Stena or the UK's government, I'm not sure which.  So Irish Rail operate the port, but they don't own it in it's entirety, which makes investment and development problematic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buzzbee said:

Not exactly.  IR operate Rosslare.  But Rosslare is owned by "The Fishguard & Rosslare Railways & Harbours Company".  It was originally a joint venture, back in 1899, between the respective railway companies that operated into Fishguard and Rosslare.  The "Irish shares" came to be vested in Irish Rail.  The "UK shares" came to be vested in British Rail and are now owned by either Stena or the UK's government, I'm not sure which.  So Irish Rail operate the port, but they don't own it in it's entirety, which makes investment and development problematic. 

Thanks for clarifying!

4 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

It’s Stena.  The ownership excuse is used a lot for the lack of investment, but Fishguard is also owned by the same company.  It wasn’t stopping Stena investing in a new berth at the port (the escalating costs did). The difference between Fishguard and Rosslare is the port operator, not the owner.

Edited by tarbyonline

17 minutes ago, nick hall said:

Any info on start date?

that may give a hint on the vessel.

The fact that this thread started with a rumour about the Cork service stopping end Feb might give a clue to that?

7 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The fact that this thread started with a rumour about the Cork service stopping end Feb might give a clue to that?

Cheers Gareth. Read the forum daily but I missed that.

I’m a very naughty boy........

with apologies to Terry Jones

6 minutes ago, nick hall said:

Cheers Gareth. Read the forum daily but I missed that.

I’m a very naughty boy........

with apologies to Terry Jones

Not at all - I didn’t mean my post sarcastically (sorry if it came across that way).  The two may not be connected - so it may be a clue or it may not be 😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

The only other one Identical  to the Cap is SFVI now Cruise Olbia. SFXI is similar although where the Planets bar is located there's an open deck at the stern similar to Bretagne's decks 7 & 8.

Superfast X is configured in the same way as No's VII & VIII which sail from Belfast and doesn't have scrubbers.

Assuming it's not a full-on RoRo for rail carriages modification, how could this work then? BF would offer and end-to-end service, and haul up freight containers on train carriages to load on a specific sailing? (the mention of a possible rail tie-in)

Edited by hf_uk

Ugh. The drive to Rosslare from this side of the country isn't great. From further West it's even worse. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. 

46 minutes ago, jonno said:

The only other one Identical  to the Cap is SFVI now Cruise Olbia. SFXI is similar although where the Planets bar is located there's an open deck at the stern similar to Bretagne's decks 7 & 8.

Superfast X is configured in the same way as No's VII & VIII which sail from Belfast and doesn't have scrubbers.

SSFX is quite different to VII and VIII.  To the point that she isn’t really interchangeable with them.  She’s not a great fit at Belfast for instance.  Deck 8 is unrecognisable from 7/8 too.  Not least because X has 40 odd cabins up there and a mostly open plan arrangement.

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there enough in the schedule for the Etretat and Connie to do Pompey - Le Havre - Rosslare - Le Havre - Pompey on an opposite rotation pattern ? 

Edited by Stena Invicta

2 hours ago, Stena Invicta said:

Is there enough in the schedule for the Etretat and Connie to do Pompey - Le Havre - Rosslare - Le Havre - Pompey

LD tried that (using none other than Etretat, in her original guise), and it didn’t work.