Jump to content

Cork-Santander to become Rosslare-Bilbao


Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

SSFX is quite different to VII and VIII.  To the point that she isn’t really interchangeable with them.  She’s not a great fit at Belfast for instance.  Deck 8 is unrecognisable from 7/8 too.  Not least because X has 40 odd cabins up there and a mostly open plan arrangement.

Yup the conversions were very different, and I don't think the X has the improved vehicle deck headroom the other two have? But none of them would be very good for sustained use on overnight routes any more, although the X would be easier to convert back to an overnight ship again.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doing a Kerry I like that... it's a bit like doing a Dexy's, you know... "Ay mate you better give yer toes loads an' get after 'im, he's doin' a dexy's with the petty cash la." A bunk, a runner..

I hope that they can schedule some sailings between the strikes.

I thought that it would be Seaborne Freight

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

Yup the conversions were very different, and I don't think the X has the improved vehicle deck headroom the other two have? But none of them would be very good for sustained use on overnight routes any more, although the X would be easier to convert back to an overnight ship again.

She doesn't have the 5m headroom but can take 4.65m high vehicles across her decks which is the ROI max.  I imagine she might need a rebuild of some sort to go anywhere but if anyone can Stena RoRo can!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gareth said:

I believe the whole Superfast concept was designed for the Mediterranean.  To my knowledge, none of them were designed for Northern European use.

But SF7,8,9&10 where built for the Baltic & North Sea.

It seems strange to use a flawed design when you’re building new.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nick hall said:

But SF7,8,9&10 where built for the Baltic & North Sea.

It seems strange to use a flawed design when you’re building new.

 

I think they were more built to the Superfast "concept" as much as anything.  If memory serves they were ordered before the routes were announced as well (not too sure, its getting late here in tarby land).  

As I posted in the Le Havre thread, that port has been mentioned on FB and the bits I've been hearing from sources I trust suggest its a Rosslare - France route.  Thinking out loud here, but was the Cork - Santander trial not originally due to end around the middle of the year?  It was subsequently "extended" with the arrival of Kerry, but assuming there are no extended agreements in place with the port then they could walk away.  I've been hearing reliable reports that the carryings on the route are still not very good at all ("dire" was one word used to describe them), so perhaps they could be tempted to give Rosslare a try - especially with the Brexit outcome still not certain?  At Rosslare they also get the benefit of a "hub" with Stena and Irish Ferries routes from Wales as well, and as has been pointed out the port is easier to access than ever.  As I said in the other thread, theres definitely been BF people at Rosslare and there has been talk of them starting a service from Rosslare for a while.  How that will work in practice with the fleet and the operation at Ringaskiddy remains to be seen.  It would be closing a long chapter in the history of the company if they left Cork totally after all!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I can see them keeping the Pont in Cork due to it being more of a passenger / holiday route ,  a lot of visitors from Germany , Belgium , France  and Holland use it to get to their preferred destinations in West Cork , Kerry  , Galway and Donegal , in fact these areas are a big part of  BF holiday packages .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

It would be closing a long chapter in the history of the company if they left Cork totally after all!

It would actually be a first in the history in the company.  An ignominious one.  It would be the first time ever that the company has, as Brittany Ferries, stopped operating to a port.  They’ve closed down routes before, but never pulled out of a particular port entirely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If BF were to leave Cork the uproar from affected parties would be heard  from far and wide , it would become political  as well . Maybe BF are doing a bit of "Sabre Rattling " in regards to the development of Ringaskiddy   for not extending the ferry jetty .

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

  They’ve closed down routes before, but never pulled out of a particular port entirely.

These are straightened times. The days of BF being run `heart on the sleeve` by Gourvennec are long gone. Accountants rule the roost and they will have done an in depth Cost Benefit Analysis. If Rosslare looks likely to be a longer term profit service than Cork then that`s more likely to be the course of action. If they can still make money out of Cork, then fine. If not it goes. Sentiment only leads to bankrupcy I`m afraid as too many others have found out. Time will tell as always.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gareth said:

It would actually be a first in the history in the company.  An ignominious one.  It would be the first time ever that the company has, as Brittany Ferries, stopped operating to a port.  They’ve closed down routes before, but never pulled out of a particular port entirely.

Don't forget till recently Corks' operation was PA once per week. If that made money (which I believe it did) then they will leave Cork for that reason alone. 
(focusing Cork as a tourist hub, and Rosslare as a freight hub, perhaps?)

Edited by hf_uk
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I don’t follow hf - you think if Cork makes money they’ll leave?  Doesn’t make sense.

Sorry, OK so I mean, so keep Cork - as a once per week PA route to Roscoff (seasonal), and then use Rosslare (if that is true) as the other port, for Connemara /  Kerry to Spain... right?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has a booking made for Roscoff-Cork on Kerry in May, I’m left wondering whether it will now go ahead into Cork or a different port, or at all?

Surely all these rumours are going to make customers think twice about making a booking, which isn’t going to help matters at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, shar^k said:

As someone who has a booking made for Roscoff-Cork on Kerry in May, I’m left wondering whether it will now go ahead into Cork or a different port, or at all?

Surely all these rumours are going to make customers think twice about making a booking, which isn’t going to help matters at all. 

BF wouldn’t take a booking if they were not intending to honour it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes, at worst they'll just transfer you to another sailing. It will be like old times! 😉 Ed.

And I thought last year was just a distant memory!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes, at worst they'll just transfer you to another sailing. It will be like old times! 😉 Ed.

Yes, BF will always transport you from somewhere to somewhere else, however not necessarily the places that you were expecting at the time expected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Methinks Shar^k isn't dreaming of visiting Rosslare!  Brest? Maybe. Seriously, the chances of BF abandoning Roscoff-Cork are slim.  And Santander-Cork is probably safe until there is clarity on the post-2020 UK-EU trading relationship.  BF is an obvious contender to fill the gap on Rosslare-France left by IF.  But I don't think that it will be at the expense of Cork services, at least not this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...