Hinkley

Cork-Santander to become Rosslare-Bilbao

The well known site CorkBeo has an article today

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/cork-santander-ferry-route-move-17642356

Extracts include:-

The route has only been in operation since May 2018 and was initially set up for a two year "trial period". A spokesperson for the company - which has had a strong connection with Cork for over four decades - told CorkBeo this morning that options are being looked at but "no firm decision has been taken".

Somewhere else it mentions that it probably won't happen until next year !

21 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Yes, BF will always transport you from somewhere to somewhere else, however not necessarily the places that you were expecting at the time expected.

Reminds me of my profile in the crew list of the Irish Admirals' Cup team a long, long time ago...

"Our beloved navigator.

Essentially used charts to keep food and coffee stains off the chart table. Could fall asleep at the drop of a pair of knickers. Generally got the boat from where it was to where it wanted to go – but not necessarily in the shortest distance or time. Local expert on Solent tides, which generally carried the boar away from its destination, or towards a hazard. By profession a Yacht Broker, which is a form of coastal marine life found in south coast harbours, and generally thought to occupy a position on the evolutionary scale above algae, but below barnacles."

We also had the Biggles of the combine harvester, a non commissioned hit man for Mothercare, the Stitcher, the king of the jewels, the Mad Max of offshore racing and Tom (Mumms the word) name withheld...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

Methinks Shar^k isn't dreaming of visiting Rosslare!  Brest? Maybe. Seriously, the chances of BF abandoning Roscoff-Cork are slim.  And Santander-Cork is probably safe until there is clarity on the post-2020 UK-EU trading relationship.  BF is an obvious contender to fill the gap on Rosslare-France left by IF.  But I don't think that it will be at the expense of Cork services, at least not this year. 

I live five minutes from Ringaskiddy and two hours from Rosslare! So the above statement is correct!😂😂

46 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Yes, BF will always transport you from somewhere to somewhere else, however not necessarily the places that you were expecting at the time expected.

I thought that's what the Irish were used to, with a certain airline.

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

Apart from when they don't even run (strikes etc)!

The point is that they don’t take bookings with no intention of transporting you on the route booked and at the time booked for.  So they won’t have taken a booking for a Cork sailing if their intention at the time of taking the booking was not to run the sailing.

3 hours ago, shar^k said:

As someone who has a booking made for Roscoff-Cork on Kerry in May, I’m left wondering whether it will now go ahead into Cork or a different port, or at all?

Surely all these rumours are going to make customers think twice about making a booking, which isn’t going to help matters at all. 

You have nothing to worry about, I'm sure it will still go ahead as scheduled.

17 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Wow - that’s a bold prediction! 🤣

7 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

With good reason.

Well I’m very impressed!  Not many people can see that far into the future.  You could make a fortune with that talent!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Solo said:

I thought that's what the Irish were used to, with a certain airline.

You don't have to be Irish to avail of that perk .

2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

2 Irish ports are better than 1. Twice the chance right?! :)

A few weeks ago, who'd have thought,

That BF might change their preferred Irish port.

W'd all like to know,

Where the ferries will go,

As holiday tickets still need to be bought. 

Ed. 

• Like 3

A daring and bold move to Rosslare,

But which ferry is it that will go there,

Will it be Kerry or Connie,

maybe it will be Pontie,

the E Flexers are needed in Santander...

• Like 1

Thanks Neil.  So this is either the end of the route, or the route is transferring to Rosslare and we don't know that bit yet.

• Like 1

Moving the Spanish port to Bilbao at the same time makes a lot of sense.  The move to Rosslare is clearly aimed at making it a primarily freight-orientated route, and Bilbao is the more freight-orientated of the two Spanish ports.

Assuming the ship still runs once a week to Roscoff, this means the introduction of a Rosslare - Roscoff route too.  So the key question remains, will all Ireland to Roscoff sailings move to Rosslare?

Rosslare Port have confirmed on Twitter that there will be a seasonal service to Roscoff.

• Like 1