Hinkley

Cork-Santander to become Rosslare-Bilbao

3 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

If Santona takes over Rosslare wonder if Cap would move to Plymouth, thereby allowing Pont to go to St. Malo. Was reading the project pegasis blurb again, and at that time Pont was moving to St. Malo. At a planned length of 210m there must have been plans afoot for Cork to take pegasis, they could take Cap...

I reckon BF are a bit too strapped for cash to have a purpose built ship for StMalo so it would make sense to move Pont there, but it’s a bit dangerous to guess what they are definitely going to do.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I reckon BF are a bit too strapped for cash to have a purpose built ship for StMalo so it would make sense to move Pont there, but it’s a bit dangerous to guess what they are definitely going to do.

I'd be willing to bet that thanks to FSG, Honfleur won't cost as much as was expected. Not sure if its anything to do with finances though, St Malo will invariably be popular given the route and timings so long as there's a half decent ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gareth said:

There would have to be a very significant upsurge in traffic to justify putting a Flexer on the Rosslare route.

I didn't think of that when I posted, a very good point considering as the press release mentions, the traffic numbers are not where they want it to be.

Perhaps, when Santona was announced, it was a possibility, but now maybe not. All three E-Flexers for Portsmouth then.

Now visitors from the Emerald isle,

Have an extra reason to smile.

BF have decided its sailings should share,

Cork with its rival up in Rosslare,

But for people like shark it'll probably rile.

Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, ccs147 said:

However it looks like its a day off work and a drive to Rosslare

But as @Chef pointed out, as of today you can bypass New Ross..  btw, I'd say Nolan Transport are pleased.  Their head office is in Co Wexford, same county as Rosslare, and the last time I was in Santander they had 5 HGVs on the dock waiting to board..

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

But as @Chef pointed out, as of today you can bypass New Ross..  btw, I'd say Nolan Transport are pleased.  Their head office is in Co Wexford, same county as Rosslare, and the last time I was in Santander they had 5 HGVs on the dock waiting to board..

Good point. TBH as long as the return leg brings me back to Cork we dont really mind where the outward leg begins. Over the years I reckon we've had used Rosslare for outbound legs 3 or 4 times as much as Cork.

45 minutes ago, Jim said:

so long as there's a half decent ship.

At the moment there's half a decent ship. The other half has either been peeled open like a tin of sardines or is being swept up with a dustpan and brush. Ed. 

47 minutes ago, Jim said:

I'd be willing to bet that thanks to FSG, Honfleur won't cost as much as was expected. Not sure if its anything to do with finances though, St Malo will invariably be popular given the route and timings so long as there's a half decent ship.

She'll be 2 years old when they get her, so depreciation alone would make that stand true!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Buzzbee said:

There's more than enough Irish media coverage to believe Kevin Nolan will be jumping for joy this evening.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jonno said:

There's more than enough Irish media coverage to believe Kevin Nolan will be jumping for joy this evening.

Well as long as he doesn't start singing, that's fine. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Tumnus2010 said:

At a planned length of 210m there must have been plans afoot for Cork to take pegasis

I don't see how as she would not have fitted Roscoff or Plymouth either. The Grimaldi car carriers which use the opposite quay are all sub 190m and many of those used are under 180m.

The area is to have an increased land mass making the passage to the linkspan narrower and will berth 35m wide container ships, you'll not get a 200m ferry on the berth once the work is done plus a vessel such as a Superfast or even a Visentini has too much freight space which would be wasted at Ringaskiddy. This move to Rosslare proves that accompanied freight doesn't want to go there hence why Pont Aven will remain, she's a passenger ferry not a RoPax.

• Like 1

Media confirmed Rosslare-Bilbao connection twice a week with mv Kerry from March.

There are several articles including few showing words by CO.

it talks about a more secure facilities in view of increasing stows problem.

https://www.britanea.com/rutas/desde-espana/irlanda-santander-https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.elcorreo.com/bizkaia/santander-arrebata-bizkaia-20180116221533-nt_amp.html

Just thought - now there will be a new port for Armorique to visit.  From March, she will no longer have served every BF port! 🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Just thought - now there will be a new port for Armorique to visit.  From March, she will no longer have served every BF port! 🤣

Good idea, base her there !

• Haha 1

On a serious note, I genuinely did only book my crossing on Monday. It’s annoying me that they took the booking in the knowledge it was not going to happen. 

8 minutes ago, shar^k said:

On a serious note, I genuinely did only book my crossing on Monday. It’s annoying me that they took the booking in the knowledge it was not going to happen. 

You are obviously free to cancel one or both (I assume) legs of your trip now they have switched the outbound sailing to a different port. I can imagine it's frustrating but do you have a viable alternative if you cancel?  Ed

It’s the inbound that has been switched. We have all accommodation and golf paid for so canceling is not an option. 

Also arriving into Rosslare now means a two two and a half hour drive home instead of a 5 minute drive. Our original arrival time of 8am into cork meant I would have made it into work. Now I need to take an extra day off. 

These are the knock on effects of the decision. We made the decision to take this trip based on the fact that we could depart Cork on the Saturday and arrive back into Cork on the following Wednesday morning. There are no other viable alternatives so we will just have to go with Rosslare now. 

I guess that the positive spin on this decision is that BF will continue the Ireland - Spain route.

Given the comments about disappointing freight figures BF must have been seriously considering closing down the route.

18 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Given the comments about disappointing freight figures BF must have been seriously considering closing down the route.

I suspect that the move to Rosslare is make or break.  If that doesn’t yield the expected traffic levels then the route may yet close.

• Like 3

New Cork-Spain ferry route could replace lost Santander service

Talks to open up a new ferry route between Cork and Northern Spain are progressing - even as tourism and business chiefs on Leeside deal with the shock loss of one of our two main ferry routes.

Brittany Ferries yesterday confirmed the news first revealed by CorkBeo - that the two-year direct link between Cork and Santander in Northern Spain will end on February 24th.

The service had offered freight and no-frills passenger services on a year-round basis and had been seen as a vital link with Spanish markets - especially as Brexit looms on the horizon.

However, as revealed by CorkBeo in November, there are talks to start a new, possibly year-round freight and passenger service between Cork and the port of Vigo in Northern Spain, which will now become more urgent following the decision by Brittany Ferries to move their Spain service to Rosslare from the end of February.

A spokesperson for the Port of Cork authority confirmed to CorkBeo that talks are progressing on the Vigo link.

"We have been in discussions with the port of Vigo and the talks have been very positive," said the spokesperson.

"There is still a number of issues to be worked out but we believe this would be a very positive development for Cork".

One option for the planned joint venture involving one of Europe's largest ferry companies would link the port of Bouzas in Vigo with Cork and Plymouth - operating a three-times a week service between Spain, the UK and Ireland.

The year round "Ro-pax" (roll-on/roll-off freight and passenger) service would serve tourism as well as being a so-called "Brexit Buster" that provides a new link between Ireland and the continent for imports and exports.

The planned service underlines just how important the port of Cork could become in a post-Brexit environment, especially with major new port and freight facilities about to come online in Cork.

The passenger side will see tickets on sale for €350 to take a car and two passengers over and back on a trip that will take up to 28 hours between Spain and Ireland.

The ferry - which is reported by Spanish media to be on its way from China to enter service on the new route - will have room for 200 trucks and 150 passengers.

A spokesperson for shipping logistics company Incargo Galicia told the Spanish media they could still get the ferry into operation this year.

The port of Vigo and the backers of the new route say they want to capitalise on tourism travelling in both directions - as well as the increased trade and transport needs between Spain and Ireland that will follow on from Brexit.

Vigo is also a great access point to the Camino Way, the hugely popular pilgrimage route along the coast of North Western Spain, as well as the popular tourist regions of northern Spain and Portugal.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/new-cork-spain-ferry-route-17652516?fbclid=IwAR2f9WVknZViyHFbiZElunn_GCUtntR60212F2wAdfbS2Pf5vL5_3acaVSQ

This is the ship that they are supposedly using, although there seems to be a lot of optimism involved,

Rizhao orient, (cheesy music warning)

Edited by neilcvx
  • Like 1

Hangon didn't some tell me recently that nobody had heard of this and it was a grande bit of pie in the sky!?

48 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

There seem to be more holes in that article than a sieve... though, there have already been a few people proved wrong this week!

Given the BF move is seemingly based on the preference of hauliers it does seem a bit daft to effectively try to set up a route that goes against what prospective clients have asked for! 

The article states the vessel is being reported as on the way, even though it starts noting there are 'still a number of issues to be worked out' and a logistics company who 'could still get the ferry into operation this year'... so if said vessel is on the way, it might be waiting a while! It also seems to suggest said logistics company have a hand in running the service even though there's previous talk of a major European operator... and trumpets the values of tourism on a vessel that can accommodate less than one of Mick O'Leary's 737s...

I suppose we can at least watch Marine Traffic to see if the proposed vessel identified by @neilcvx (previously the Audacia for Transmed and Grimaldi) starts heading this way... 

• Like 2