Isle of Wight Visit - Where to Stay?

If I wished to have short break on the Island which Ferry company should I use or should I not bother ? We would travel from the Midlands

I'd just choose the most convenient mainland port for you. The Cowes and Fishbourne routes terminate on the Island just 5 miles/15 minuets apart. Southampton to Cowes is more scenic but takes longer, not necessarily a drawback if your are travelling for leisure.

The Island is still a pictureque destination but ferry fares remain high. If you intend staying at a hotel then some of them can arrnge cut price ferry travel with worthwhile savings if you book direct with them but at the moment these offers seem to be confined to Red Funnel only.

4 hours ago, rileyman said:

If I wished to have short break on the Island which Ferry company should I use or should I not bother ? We would travel from the Midlands.

Definitely an attractive place for a short break - lots of stunning scenery, a great network of footpaths, some big attractions (Osborne House, Carisbrooke Castle, IW Steam Railway), and some good places to eat. (Full disclosure - I live here!).

But the cost of bringing a car over is a big issue. It can help if you book early or can find special offers. As to which route, you will see from this thread that Wightlink are particularly unreliable at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

Definitely an attractive place for a short break - lots of stunning scenery, a great network of footpaths, some big attractions (Osborne House, Carisbrooke Castle, IW Steam Railway), and some good places to eat. (Full disclosure - I live here!).

But the cost of bringing a car over is a big issue. It can help if you book early or can find special offers. As to which route, you will see from this thread that Wightlink are particularly unreliable at the moment. 

I do not recall where on the Island - but we did find a dog friendly hotel (so much so they'd cook them a sausage for breakfast) which if booked suitably in advance would arrange a return crossing for you or subsidise it. 

Even at promotional rates, it's cheaper to go to France on the BFE offer with a car + 2 than the IoW a lot of the time!

• Like 1

We do have codes for money off ferries if anyone needs them just ask ..mainly red funnel just paid £39 day return with car and up to 7 people ....Wightlink wanted £56 

Edited by eagleeye