vitor

"BRETAGNE" looking perfect

I have sailed twice on "BRETAGNE" this year, the ship looks amazing, the new livery suits her lines perfectly, already a legend, "BRETAGNE" is here to stay to the delight of her many many loyal followers. Well done to BF and her crew for keeping "BRETAGNE" on top. Photo taken at Saint-Malo, 21.1.2020

DSC_0007 (1).JPG

Edited by vitor
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't exactly say she looked 'perfect'.

She looked perfect when she was launched in the late 80's - mid 00's livery along with the unique striping across her superstructure.

She now looks naked, bland and devoid of all character.

L'Q.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

She now looks naked, bland and devoid of all character.

Bit harsh!  She may not look as good as she used to, but she’s still the best-looking ship in the fleet.  CF may have usurped her had she still got her wings.  But as things stand, Bretagne still shows a distinct advantage over the rest of the fleet in not having had her appearance trashed by the installation of scrubbers.

• Like 3

When Gourvennec commissioned the Bretagne he wanted the Architects to produce a `cruise liner` with the emphasis on `Liner`. It had`nt been done before. I think it was loosely based on Lloyd Triestinos` Africa and Europa or the Portugese `Infanta Dom Henrique` active in the 60`s. It came with classic lines and that`s why she is still admired. Simply because she looks better. Other ships can instantly tell its the Bretagne. The present crop like the Amorique is a box boat. Its functional, everything built as a job lot and slotted in like Lego. She has a loyal following among crew as well as passengers.

In my sea days, everything, even the tugs looked like ships. Some of course prefer the bigger interiors/better dining/ accomodation which is fine. Thats what Easyjet came into being for..get you there quicker but just as soulless.

I`ll love her to the end

image.jpeg

• Like 3

I think Armorique suits the new livery the best and if we are judging the fleet from their outward appearance Bretagne has the old fashioned classic lines , internally well,,,

• Haha 2

As you all surely know, she is nicknamed the "Paquebot" by her crew members. It's all a question of taste of course, I personally think she never looked more a liner than now and this is a lot to do with the new livery. The idea behind the new livery was to give a more modern look to the ships, which was successful in my opinion again. I think with time a lot of people will change their minds, sometimes it takes time to adapt to these changes. I think the photo attached is a clear example of her "Liner" profile, at  Saint-Malo 21.1.20202644948_BRETAGNEforBFE.jpg.87cdf668f574ef07ed7e84a215b690c5.jpg

• Like 4

Compare her to the other ship Chantiers de l' Atlantique built at the same time, the original Danielle Casanova. For all of her growing faults due to age and lack of refurbishment l know which is the classier and highlights the greater focus and effort on style... Bretagne.

Yes she's getting old and yes the new livery doesn't suit her but she has been one of the most reliable ferries of the last 30 years and having had a bit more TLC over this period would have aged internally far more gracefully.

As @neilcvx points out she has classic lines and is a different concept to the glorified freight first RoPax ferries on the other routes.

Although 15 years younger, larger and far more spacious, the current flagship is a cobbled together bag of hammers.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Paully said:

When Gourvennec commissioned the Bretagne he wanted the Architects to produce a `cruise liner` with the emphasis on `Liner`. It had`nt been done before. I think it was loosely based on Lloyd Triestinos` Africa and Europa or the Portugese `Infanta Dom Henrique` active in the 60`s. It came with classic lines and that`s why she is still admired. Simply because she looks better. Other ships can instantly tell its the Bretagne. The present crop like the Amorique is a box boat. Its functional, everything built as a job lot and slotted in like Lego. She has a loyal following among crew as well as passengers.

In my sea days, everything, even the tugs looked like ships. Some of course prefer the bigger interiors/better dining/ accomodation which is fine. Thats what Easyjet came into being for..get you there quicker but just as soulless.

I`ll love her to the end

image.jpeg

Very interesting text, three very elegant liners mentioned here.

If you read Tripadvisor most of the reviews are positive but the same 2 shortcomings keep cropping that don’t happen on reviews of the other ships , claustrophobic cabins on decks 1 and 2 and cramped car decks, that’s why I drive a small car and have booked a commodore on her 😉

7 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

If you read Tripadvisor most of the reviews are positive but the same 2 shortcomings keep cropping that don’t happen on reviews of the other ships , claustrophobic cabins on decks 1 and 2 and cramped car decks, that’s why I drive a small car and have booked a commodore on her 😉

Depends on the load I guess - no issues parking an SUV on Deck 5 last weekend and having enough space to get out. Deck 5 on the Normandie is worse when busy IMHO with lower headway. 

Not much can be done about the cabins, they were much better on Decks 1 & 2 than other ships in service at the time - just gives an excuse to go and spend some more time out on deck or in the bar.

• Like 5

I think the cabins on deck 1 & 2 come as a bit of a shock when people get allocated them and haven’t experienced being below the waterline and I know my parents who despite being in their 70s are still fairly mobile found it a bit of a struggle with the steep staircases and narrow corridors.

The picture posted above by Vitor has a striking feature that I had not noticed before.  The two logos (hull and funnel) line up along the same line in which the logo is pointing.  This looks particularly smart - I wonder if it was accidental or intentional.  Is it like that on any other members of the fleet?  (Or, indeed, on Bretagne's starboard side?).

Edit:  Yes, it is the same on her starboard side.  Checked a few of the other photos of her in the forum.  The logos line up on both her sides.  Doesn't seem to be the case with other members of the fleet - might just be a function of the central location of her funnel.  But it does explain why the new logo suits Bretagne particularly well.

• Like 1

Very few vessels are improved in appearance after initially entering service. At best they are 'different' but the marketing people always feel it is necessary to ring the changes to 'refresh' the image. Just like software companies fiddle interminably with their user interfaces without delivering any real improvement, often the opposite...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Although 15 years younger, larger and far more spacious, the current flagship is a cobbled together bag of hammers.

The PA was built to the maximum size for Plymouth and Roscoff, at the time, and then get as much into it as possible.  As you say the space aboard is the main thing with her.

As you say the space aboard is the main thing with her.

But that extra interior volume is not effectively used. Much is wasted in the unnecessary atrium with its glass lifts and in the underused pool space. There is insufficient comfortable seating out of range of the bar area.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Very few vessels are improved in appearance after initially entering service. At best they are 'different' but the marketing people always feel it is necessary to ring the changes to 'refresh' the image. Just like software companies fiddle interminably with their user interfaces without delivering any real improvement, often the opposite...

The early mock-ups of Bretagne in the new livery did at least retain the stripes on the front and side , but this never materialised into reality 

image.png.f00388f8c747ec0e4e92d39d43b24b72.png image.png.886b0e907dd66fa091093e306be0ff5e.png

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Which again betrays her age, there has been a step change in what is now exceptable in terms of personal space on board, safety and the size of vehicles.

I don't find the deck 2 cabins claustrophobic but I do find them stuffy and the walk up to anything that resembles civilisation is like climbing K2. Most of them were like that in the '70's & '80's - PoB's swimming pool, Jacuzzi & saunas are below the water line and sailing from Newcastle, Jupiter/ Color Viking/ king of Scandinavia had large numbers of cabins, a conference room and a cinema down in the depths. @hhvferrywebsite is a fantastic source of deckplans and is a great aid in appreciating the changes made over the years.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Solo said:

The PA was built to the maximum size for Plymouth and Roscoff, at the time, and then get as much into it as possible.  As you say the space aboard is the main thing with her.

The PA was designed by Mr Magoo.

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

The picture posted above by Vitor has a striking feature that I had not noticed before.  The two logos (hull and funnel) line up along the same line in which the logo is pointing.  This looks particularly smart - I wonder if it was accidental or intentional.  Is it like that on any other members of the fleet?  (Or, indeed, on Bretagne's starboard side?).

Edit:  Yes, it is the same on her starboard side.  Checked a few of the other photos of her in the forum.  The logos line up on both her sides.  Doesn't seem to be the case with other members of the fleet - might just be a function of the central location of her funnel.  But it does explain why the new logo suits Bretagne particularly well.

It was intentional Gareth, very smart agree with you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim said:

The early mock-ups of Bretagne in the new livery did at least retain the stripes on the front and side , but this never materialised into reality 

image.png.f00388f8c747ec0e4e92d39d43b24b72.png image.png.886b0e907dd66fa091093e306be0ff5e.png

Beautiful pics Jim, a lot lighter on the right, therefore showing her classic lines much better, the new logo is fabulous and particularly smart on "Bretagne's" funnel. A true "Paquebot" with a modern look.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Depends on the load I guess - no issues parking an SUV on Deck 5 last weekend and having enough space to get out. Deck 5 on the Normandie is worse when busy IMHO with lower headway. 

Not much can be done about the cabins, they were much better on Decks 1 & 2 than other ships in service at the time - just gives an excuse to go and spend some more time out on deck or in the bar.

Her cabins on decks 1 and 2 are her downside today, but she is 30 years old, agree totally there's nothing that can be done. I always travel with my car and it was really good to see the deck 5 looking like new, wonderful work during last refit.

3 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Still never sure what all the fuss is about this boat

Her name begins with B!  (Fuss over "boats" (as you call them) with names beginning with B seems to be a forum tradition!) :D

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Her name begins with B!  (Fuss over "boats" (as you call them) with names beginning with B seems to be a forum tradition!) :D

Ah...Bai de Seine. Say no more

• Haha 1