vitor

"BRETAGNE" looking perfect

1 minute ago, VikingVoyager said:

Ah...Bai de Seine. Say no more

She's a bit too long to be able to be the object of fussing!

1 hour ago, vitor said:

Her cabins on decks 1 and 2 are her downside today, but she is 30 years old, agree totally there's nothing that can be done. I always travel with my car and it was really good to see the deck 5 looking like new, wonderful work during last refit.

I would rather see the cabins looking like new after a refit than a car deck but each to their own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I get the impression that BF’s own expectation of the longevity of Bretagne in the fleet has changed over the past few years.  When she didn’t / couldn’t get scrubbers, and she spent several years in winter layup with minimal attention, BF cannot have expected her to still be in the fleet now.  Now I get the impression she is going to be around a while yet - to the point that, had BF known that a few years ago, they’d have invested a bit more in her back then rather than just let her languish.

• Like 4

@Gareth the way I see it is if they are desperate to get rid of her she will be gone when the 3rd Eflexer comes into service if they aren’t then it will be when “Bretagne II “ gets built and comes into service either way it’s a couple of years away yet.

4 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

@Gareth the way I see it is if they are desperate to get rid of her she will be gone when the 3rd Eflexer comes into service if they aren’t then it will be when “Bretagne II “ gets built and comes into service either way it’s a couple of years away yet.

My money’s on the latter.  (They clearly aren’t desperate to get rid of her, because if they were they’d have done so by now).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

My money’s on the latter.  (They clearly aren’t desperate to get rid of her, because if they were they’d have done so by now).

Well at least the car deck looks nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well at least the car deck looks nice.

Just as well, if you can't get your car doors open after parking you could be looking at it for a while...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jim said:

For some reason, this only just popped up for the mods to approve - stunning images, thank you!

I saw the email and thought they were pictures of the balsa wood model set in “water”!  But you’re right, they do look real.  It looks very strange - she’s in the middle of the sea but making no way and generating no wash!  Are the engines actually running?  You’d think she must be at anchor, yet the image where you can see the starboard bow has nothing to indicate an anchor chain.  She’s not flying an “at anchor” day mark.  Can I just make out a possible anchor chain coming from the port bow in the second photograph?  This is presumably the day when her St Malo rotation was cancelled due to last-minute strike action.

In the top photo we can see that the new logos don't line up on her starboard side. Ed.

Yes, I noticed that too. The after end of the Britanny Ferries lettering plus logo lines up vertically with the back of the funnel on both sides though.

8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

In the top photo we can see that the new logos don't line up on her starboard side. Ed. 

On both sides there will be a parallax effect.  There will be a single angle of viewing for which they will line up.  From all other angles they won’t.

But the logos can't line up due to the logo being at different ends of the lettering on each side.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I saw the email and thought they were pictures of the balsa wood model set in “water”!  But you’re right, they do look real.  It looks very strange - she’s in the middle of the sea but making no way and generating no wash!  Are the engines actually running?  You’d think she must be at anchor, yet the image where you can see the starboard bow has nothing to indicate an anchor chain.  She’s not flying an “at anchor” day mark.  Can I just make out a possible anchor chain coming from the port bow in the second photograph?  This is presumably the day when her St Malo rotation was cancelled due to last-minute strike action.

I think it was that day. I noticed that initially she was at anchor at St Helens then went off `stooging` about. Drifting for hours off the shipping lanes and this must be when she was filmed.

29 minutes ago, Paully said:

I think it was that day. I noticed that initially she was at anchor at St Helens then went off `stooging` about. Drifting for hours off the shipping lanes and this must be when she was filmed.

Clicking through to the images on Flickr, the photos are dated from Wednesday 5th at 13.48.

On another note, @Euryalus - photos are stunning across the board. Thanks for sharing them with us!

• Like 1

Yes, i took these on Wednesday 5th, off Bembridge. I too was a little confused as she didn’t appear to be making any way.

They look like "For Sale" photo's for a new magazine called Shiptrader.

On 07/02/2020 at 15:40, neilcvx said:

Although it makes sense to sell Bretagne once all of the new ships arrive allowing the Pont take over, I can't see it happening. To lose a vessel with the capacity PA offers on a destination which is growing - ( the reason the E-Flexers are coming in the first place) - doesn't make sense commercially., there would need to be a replacement of similar length and design in order to function in the role she currently performs.

Just having the three E-flexers would mean SOMABRET lose revenue and to serve Spain the group wouldn't be gaining anything in terms of lane metres, 7500, and would be losing 852 berths, 3000 against the 3852 the have now.

The train from Bayonne isn't the answer, that'll just take the volume left by Pelican, nor is a fourth E-Flexer as although one could be shoehorned into Roscoff and it would give them 10000 lane metres & 4000 beds in order to expand their Spanish offer, with the best will in the world you won't squeeze one into Plymouth or Ringaskiddy not to mention the winter cover for St Malo.

• Like 1

Jonno, you would only lose 400 berths per week to Spain if you replaced the current vessels with 3 e flexers, I would imagine that would only be an issue for upto 6 weeks a year if at all. In fact the increase in lane meters would offset any lost revenue in cabin sales.

i don’t think BF will run 3 e flexers and pont aven for 8 or 9 sailings per week. How they link Ireland with France would be an issue, maybe Cork Roscoff will be collateral damage from the introduction of the e flexers

Not sure if this has already been covered, but in an interview with Jean-Marc Roue last Friday on the opening of their new offices in St Malo, he stated that the 'Bretagne 2 Project' is on hold due to the present uncertainty surrounding Brexit.

https://www.20minutes.fr/economie/2713491-20200208-brexit-brouillard-patron-brittany-ferries-inquiete-avenir

The situation does not prevent you from moving forward. You will invest heavily to renew your fleet.
We had not invested for a long time so our debt is low.
 We have an ambitious but careful acquisition plan because we remain a small business . We have ordered three ships ( Honfleur , Kerry and Santoña , three ships powered by liquefied natural gas). But we will have to postpone the order for Bretagne 2 . He's been waiting for a long time, but I can't convince the bankers without a proven business plan. We are told nothing. As of January 1, 2021, I don't know how we will work.

Well it may be “on hold”, but that is a pretty clear indication that Bretagne 2, even though delayed, is the current plan.  Which must mean that the current plan does not involve moving PA to St Malo.

7 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Well it may be “on hold”, but that is a pretty clear indication that Bretagne 2, even though delayed, is the current plan.  Which must mean that the current plan does not involve moving PA to St Malo.

That’s assuming that “Bretagne II” is taking over Bretagnes current schedule and not her previous one.

Second guessing BF is dodgy .

Edited by neilcvx
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

That’s assuming that “Bretagne II” is taking over Bretagnes current schedule and not her previous one.

Not really.  If the plan was for a ship to take over Bretagne’s former schedule (aka some version of Pont Aven’s current one), it would be called Pont Aven 2, not Bretagne 2.

As for second guessing what BF will actually do in the end, I agree that it perilous.  But I was not second-guessing anything, just analysing what is inferred by a statement that BF actually put out, about its current plan.