Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

English Channel Dam?!

Jonno, you might need to add an hour to  your calculations for the route via Plymouth (and BF too for the E-flexers) as they are all going to have to pass through a lock if this plan comes to fruition. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7996965/Dutch-scientist-proposes-two-DAMS-France-England-Scotland-Norway.html

(If you have a dam in the southwest them you might as well put a road and rail line on top of it and close the Plymouth to Roscoff route entirely)

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Jonno, you might need to add an hour to  your calculations for the route via Plymouth (and BF too for the E-flexers) as they are all going to have to pass through a lock if this plan comes to fruition. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7996965/Dutch-scientist-proposes-two-DAMS-France-England-Scotland-Norway.html

(If you have a dam in the southwest them you might as well put a road and rail line on top of it and close the Plymouth to Roscoff route entirely)

Ed

The projected cost is interesting especially when you contrast it with the cost of HS2. Millions more would benefit at a twentieth of the cost. Turbines in the walls to generate power from a vast tidel pond to help protect the environment. The only downside I can see is Europe would be making a contribution. It's a no brainer HS2 it is.

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

Plymouth only really has one road in and out (not a motorway), no airport, and a train line limited to about 40mph in parts. Please don't suggest closing the ferry too! 😮

44 minutes ago, G4rth said:

The projected cost is interesting especially when you contrast it with the cost of HS2. Millions more would benefit at a twentieth of the cost. Turbines in the walls to generate power from a vast tidel pond to help protect the environment. The only downside I can see is Europe would be making a contribution. It's a no brainer HS2 it is.

How deep is the Channel between Cornwall and Brittany?  That would be some dam!  How many locks would be required to accommodate the volume of traffic using this stretch of water - just look at MarineTraffic!  And compare the suggested cost with Crossrail and HS2.  Perhaps there should be a 'b' after the numbers rather than an 'm' with at least another '0'.  The proposal is a figment of imagination just as a bridge from Scotland to N Ireland is.

20 minutes ago, Malc said:

How deep is the Channel between Cornwall and Brittany?  That would be some dam!  How many locks would be required to accommodate the volume of traffic using this stretch of water - just look at MarineTraffic!  And compare the suggested cost with Crossrail and HS2.  Perhaps there should be a 'b' after the numbers rather than an 'm' with at least another '0'.  The proposal is a figment of imagination just as a bridge from Scotland to N Ireland is.

I think you're confusing the the impracticable with the impossible. Impracticable it may be but impossible probably not. I doubt the proposal includes locks with pretty little lock keepers cottages, nice gardens and manual sluice gates. Probably something more in keeping with the quantity and size of vessels involved would be required.

33 minutes ago, Malc said:

How deep is the Channel between Cornwall and Brittany?

Pretty deep - 80m to 100m I think.  (Mind you, that’s peanuts compared to the depth of the North Channel over which a bridge to Northern Ireland would have to cross!).

This plan has zero chance of happening.  The English Channel is one of the busiest shipping thoroughfares in the world.  And it is transited by some of the biggest ships in the world. They are not going to require all traffic (including the VLCCs) that enter and leave the Channel to pass though a lock.

How do these "experts" get paid for coming up with this stuff?  Further east in might work but the cost I think is just for the planning, if he can build it for 500 million we'd better get him looking at all our infrastructure.  Not sure how deep the channel is but Falmouth bay is 40 fathom a few miles off.

The price does seem a little low. However, the upside is that the ferries to Jersey and Guernsey would no longer be limited by the tides and the Atlantic swells that cause Liberation so many problems would be far less severe. Ed. 

The English Channel would still be tidal - as it would still be open at the other end.  All the water would enter and leave through the Straits of Dover.  What that would do to the already strong tidal streams through the Straits is anybody’s guess, but I’d have thought it must increase them.  The tidal range in the Channel would be significantly reduced, but I’d expect it to still be greater than in the Med.  (Straits of Dover are a similar width to the Straits of Gibraltar, but the Channel is smaller than the Med and so similar flows of water would cause greater variation in depth of tide).

41 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The English Channel would still be tidal - as it would still be open at the other end.  All the water would enter and leave through the Straits of Dover.  What that would do to the already strong tidal streams through the Straits is anybody’s guess, but I’d have thought it must increase them.  The tidal range in the Channel would be significantly reduced, but I’d expect it to still be greater than in the Med.  (Straits of Dover are a similar width to the Straits of Gibraltar, but the Channel is smaller than the Med and so similar flows of water would cause greater variation in depth of tide).

Don't forget the dam at the north of the North sea as well, so the Channel and North Sea would become a massive lake.  They would have to leave some sort of tidal flow, perhaps it would work like the Thames barrier, just closing the locks on high tides.

• Haha 1

If you read between the lines, the purpose of this project is to stir up attention to climate change, and never put forward as viable in any sense. Not sure who put the dam locations on a map?

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Don't forget the dam at the north of the North sea as well, so the Channel and North Sea would become a massive lake.  They would have to leave some sort of tidal flow, perhaps it would work like the Thames barrier, just closing the locks on high tides.

The next obvious step is to pump it out and reinstate Doggerland.

5 minutes ago, G4rth said:

The next obvious step is to pump it out and reinstate Doggerland.

But then Redrow will just build on it!

11 minutes ago, jonno said:

But then Redrow will just build on it!

Don't worry. So long as they build border posts lorry parks and a big  beautiful wall it will be fine.

4 hours ago, Solo said:

How do these "experts" get paid for coming up with this stuff?  

The same way they got paid for the Garden Bridge!

2 hours ago, colin said:

If you read between the lines, the purpose of this project is to stir up attention to climate change, and never put forward as viable in any sense. Not sure who put the dam locations on a map?

A bit like the transatlantic maglev tunnel though. Possible AND viable with enough capital. Definitely within the next century, if it was desired!

6 minutes ago, jonno said:

Have you been playing Cities Skylines again?🙂

It isn't just a pipe dream (lol). The whole thing was designed and costed properly about 12 years ago and is essentially just sitting there until someone comes along with about $100 trillion :)

6 hours ago, Gareth said:

The top of the North Sea would be blocked off as well so all the water from the channel, the North Sea and the Baltic would be contained. Would there really be that much movement? Ed. 

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Would there really be that much movement? Ed. 

Not if get rid of the moon at the same time.

• Haha 2

Sorry, was that serious?!  I thought Solo was having a laugh when he said that!

I can’t believe we’re discussing this as a serious proposal.  The idea of closing off the top of the North Sea is ludicrous - it would require about 500 miles of dam!