TonyMWeaver

Condor Liberation - Portsmouth

'Condor Liberation' will be visiting Portsmouth this Tuesday (February 18th), coming from Poole. She will be docking on Berth 5 - Arrival 14:00 (Approx) Pilot Pick-Up at St Helens Pilot Station at 13:00. Departure at 05:50 on Wednesday morning. It's believed to be part of Condor Ferries Contingency Planning.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 3

I will be interesting to see if she trials all berths like she did in Cherbourg but i've only heard she's going on Berth 5, not the others.

• Like 1

Well, she'll be there for 16 hours so plenty of time to trial all of them. Will be interesting too see if this goes ahead, the weather is not looking good this week.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Indeed.  Although, in many ways, the stated intention to do this is at least as interesting as the fact of whether it actually happens.

8 hours ago, Gareth said:

Gareth starting to feel smugger by the berthing trial! 😀

The Met Office have just put out an amber alert for excessive levels of smugness across large swathes of central England, peaking on Tuesday afternoon. Ed. 

• Haha 2

Just had an update from Condor Ferries, Re: Condor Liberation coming to Portsmouth.

"The vessel is going to Portsmouth to assist. This has been released on public slot, this is for unaccompanied freight only."

• Haha 1

Just now, TonyMWeaver said:

I'll send you a screenshot @Gareth, not going to name names though.

I don’t doubt you at all Tony - the “laugh” was at Condor, not you.  Whatever they say as the reason, it just seems so transparent, in that she has had spurious unscheduled calls at both Portsmouth and Cherbourg in very quick succession for what seems like quite far-fetched official reasons.  Then again, I’m seeing it through the eyes of my own prediction from last year, so my perspective is slanted and I’m quite prepared to eat humble pie if it turns out I’m wrong! 😉

She has called at Cherbourg at least once as a weather-related diversion in the last month so that berthing trial made sense. Ed

12 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

She has called at Cherbourg at least once as a weather-related diversion in the last month so that berthing trial made sense. Ed

No it didn’t.  They were not last-minute diversions that were a response to actual bad weather.  They were pre-planned visits well in advance of any forecast, with possible bad weather given as the reason for the “precaution”.

No, I agree @Gareth. We know that Normandie Express' days are numbered, she is 20 years old after all. She won't be around forever but I think she'll be around for another 3 or 4 years.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gareth said:

No it didn’t.  They were not last-minute diversions that were a response to actual bad weather.  They were pre-planned visits well in advance of any forecast, with possible bad weather given as the reason for the “precaution”.

It was when she was replacing Rapide and the following day's crossing was already cancelled due to the weather. Ed.

25 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Just been told the Libby visit to Portsmouth has been cancelled now.

They must have seen the price of a tug. Ed. 

Maybe they discovered that the unaccompanied freight would not fit through the door.

• Haha 2

I assume Condor know the difference between Arrow (which is designed for unaccompanied freight,) and the Liberation (which isn't.)...

• Haha 2

Condor..The very epetimy of the expression..........The more things change the more they stay the same....