ccs147

Ghost ship comes ashore!

It's strange that neither the Irish Naval Service nor the Royal Navy (who sighted and checked on her back in September) decided to either take her in tow or sink her to avoid her being a danger to other shipping. Of course if she had crashed into Craggy Island, an invasion of giant carnivorous rats would have made for a great episode. Ed. 

I'm pretty sure that the sinking by gun fire option was considered but due to the high sea state (9 to 10 metres ) it was better to let her drift  ashore  . The Royal Navy vessel that came across her was an Ice Patrol Vessel and unarmed but would have had the towing option available to it . Then of course you have to wonder why the US Coast Guard took no action after removing the crew near Bermuda last year . I would seem that no one wanted to deal with it hoping she might just sink .

Edited by Chef
  • Like 1

Yes it was HMS Protector that sighted her so had no weapons aboard apart from light arms. They wouldn't have had any way of sinking her without taking the risk of heicoptering a team aboard. They could have sent a frigate or similar out I suppose but perhaps they thought she was heading for Brest as most powerless ships seem to do. Ed. 

• Haha 3

A good friend of our elder son was the helicopter pilot of ‘117’ Irish Coastguard and his crew took those pics.

They’re based at Waterford, not far away.

2 minutes ago, jamie said:

Was this the vessel with the rats that eat each other that was found a couple of years ago?

This one was abandoned around 12-18 months ago.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Cant imagine conditions on board would have been very good at the time the crew were taken off..be even worse now

Yup, I expect most of the remaining food would have gone off.....

9 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Yup, I expect most of the remaining food would have gone off.....

If they find any triangular bread rolls, they are mine! Ed. 

• Haha 2