Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

I am due to sail Plymouth-Roscoff on the 12th March. Can anyone consult their crystal ball and give an informed guess as to what may happen if this is declared a pandemic? If I cancel now with the ticket paid in full, would  either a refund or credit be applicable?

Thanks...and if you guess wrong I won't hold it against you :-)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Thanks everyone! 5 hours in theatre, all done. They misrouted the catheter and can't get a new one in. Pray I manage to pee before 10pm or the stick a pronged tube through my stomach.

Posted Images

A pandemic would not stop ships running and if the ships run then BF would stick to their booking conditions - however it is usually better to amend a booking to later in the year than cancel.

If the FCO advise against travel to France then you would be able to claim on any Insurance held,

However, if it gets worse then I would not advise using any of the buffets !

Edited by David Williams

If it reaches the point where we can't travel from Plymouth to Roscoff the whole world would have stopped moving, can't see it happening.  I'm going over the night after, more worried that these storms will have stopped by then.

Lets put this into context. More people die, per year, of Influenza, not just in the UK but worldwide. Its something that happens, year on year, yet it hardly gets a mention. why?..because it doesnt sell papers. This Pandemic, call it what you will, is being whipped up to panic levels by irresponsible (as usual) media outlets, or the usual suspects if you like. yes its nasty, yes take simply health precautions, just like you would surrounded by anyone with a heavy cold or flu.

But please don`t panic and start cancelling holidays. 

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, Paully said:

Lets put this into context.

I and more importantly, my missus endorses what @Paullysays. British hospitals worked tirelessly dealing with MERS - sufferers of which travelled from far more deprived areas of the Middle East seeking refuge in the U.K. The mortality rate was almost double that of the current Coronavirus the Covid-19 strain.  The media hardly gave it a mention just as they don't mention the huge rise in TB.

The London smogs of the '50's & '60's killed 10 times as many.

I think that it's also worth remembering that any patient now presenting with many respiratory illness's are classified as potential sufferers which is heavily skewing the statistics. Jimmy's in Leeds even has a drive thru swab test station which is currently being inundated by those with a simple cough, medical staff there are saying it's insane.

Until the FCO advises against travelling to a destination no compensation will be paid to any party deciding to cancel their overseas plans.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Paully said:

Lets put this into context. More people die, per year, of Influenza, not just in the UK but worldwide. Its something that happens, year on year, yet it hardly gets a mention. why?..because it doesnt sell papers. This Pandemic, call it what you will, is being whipped up to panic levels by irresponsible (as usual) media outlets, or the usual suspects if you like. yes its nasty, yes take simply health precautions, just like you would surrounded by anyone with a heavy cold or flu.

But please don`t panic and start cancelling holidays. 

Sorry do not agree with what you say,most of the time there are just telling people what might and could happen if we do not do the basics like washing our hand.on a much stronger point imagine if it ends up a pandemic then things get a lot more serious and with only a small percentage of deaths could mean millions of people around the world dying. the uk is highly populated and this virus could could cause major problems to us all..just hope for all our sakes I hope not.just hope it does not get any worse but watching tv ,it looks like it is going to get a lot worse.

Watching mr hunt on tv saying nhs is ready for any increase in new case of this virus.yet the other day hospitals were saying they running at 95 percent full.so let's all pray it does not get any worse.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Watching mr hunt on tv saying nhs is ready for any increase in new case of this virus.yet the other day hospitals were saying they running at 95 percent full.so let's all pray it does not get any worse.

If the whole country got it, we would only need to hospitalise the 5% anyway. So no worries:)

23 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Sorry do not agree with what you say,most of the time there are just telling people what might and could happen if we do not do the basics like washing our hand.on a much stronger point imagine if it ends up a pandemic then things get a lot more serious and with only a small percentage of deaths could mean millions of people around the world dying. the uk is highly populated and this virus could could cause major problems to us all..just hope for all our sakes I hope not.just hope it does not get any worse but watching tv ,it looks like it is going to get a lot worse.

Oh dear...what was I saying ☹️

The mortality rate is believed to be about ten times that of seasonal flu, about 1%. And there is no current cure.

Therefore it rightly needs to be treated with more caution. The Ebola outbreak which was less easy to transmit but more deadly required global cooperation to address; unfortunately so much governmental expertise at reacting and managing international medical crises has been lost in recent years, especially in the USA, that we all need to be cautious.

In Italy incidentally, the FS has emailed offering no questions refunds of any pre booked travel up to 1st March (for now). I'd expect companies like BF to take a similar approach if matters worsen nearer to us. 

• Like 1

Outside of China there have been about 5100 worldwide cases with a mortality rate of 1.5% - 77 out of 5100 cases. Please let's not even begin to mention this virus in the same sentence as Ebola which has a mortality rate of between 25% - 90%.

As of today the U.K has tested 7697 people, 15 have tested positive and 8 of those have already been sent home. In Italy many of the schools in their 'Red Zone' are being reopened.

Seasonal influenza kills over 600,000 annually.

Basically get a rip... Dengue Fever affects around 80 million a year, it doesn't stop us Brits heading to Thailand annually does it?

I'd be more concerned with the bacteria swilling around in all the floodwater across the country.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, jonno said:

Outside of China there have been about 5100 worldwide cases with a mortality rate of 1.5% - 77 out of 5100 cases. Please let's not even begin to mention this virus in the same sentence as Ebola which has a mortality rate of between 25% - 90%.

As of today the U.K has tested 7697 people, 15 have tested positive and 8 of those have already been sent home. In Italy many of the schools in their 'Red Zone' are being reopened.

Seasonal influenza kills over 600,000 annually.

Basically get a rip... Dengue Fever affects around 80 million a year, it doesn't stop us Brits heading to Thailand annually does it?

I'd be more concerned with the bacteria swilling around in all the floodwater across the country.

Jonno I hope you are right ,fingers crossed.

Well said, Paully and Jonno.  All I see it as is a winter flu and of course, as with a lot of these winter viruses that spread around, unfortunately the elderly and those with weakened immune systems are going to be those most at risk.  I never understood the point of quarantining those on the Diamond Princess.  Surely there is air conditioning in the cabins and it isn’t unknown for viruses to spread through air conditioning units.  If the corona virus is airborne then it could actually be spread via an air conditioning system - possible? Not sure, but always thought confining people to cabins was a bit counterproductive.  

I am not too worried about this virus.  I have had winter flu on many an occasion and if that is all it is, then I am not overly concerned about it.  The symptoms are a dry cough - now ai have throat problems due to acid reflux anyway which causes a dry cough, it flares every so often and it is due to having a large hiatus hernia and being on the wrong side of 9 stone.  And I do get regular infections due to being on omeprazole permanently for the hiatus hernia as it depletes acid production in the stomach which protects against bugs.  Have had 2 infections this past 6 months anyway.  So it would be difficult for me to know anyway if I had the coronavirus!

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Surely there is air conditioning in the cabins and it isn’t unknown for viruses to spread through air conditioning units.  If the corona virus is airborne then it could actually be spread via an air conditioning system - possible? Not sure, but always thought confining people to cabins was a bit counterproductive.  

I knew there was a reason for all that fluff in the Bretagne's ventilation grills! I take back everything I may have ever said.  😉

I too agree with what has been said above about the risks and the way to accept those risks. If you imagine that each infected person were to infect two further people per day then by my calculations most of the country would be carrying the virus (but not necessarily showing symptoms or feeling unwell) by the 25th day. And if that's the case then we'll all have it and most of us will come out the other side unscathed and better prepared for any secondary outbreak. 

Ed. 

• Like 1

When people have colds, the cold virus has been spread long before any symptoms show and has been passed on.  When people have colds you always get those who try and stay away from those displaying runny noses and chesty coughs and look like they are death warmed up.  But in actual fact those people who are showing symptoms have long since passed it on, probably by a sneezing bout several days previously!

Edited by Khaines

Well I'm off on Hurtigruten's new vessel the Nansen in a couple of weeks' time and have received a briefing note on Corona. They're refusing to board anyone who's been to China or HK in the last 2 weeks or anyone who has had contact with a Corona-infected person, and they reserve the right to conduct temperature checks on any intending guests. No doubt that note will need to be amended between now and boarding. Not sure if Hurty are applying these conditions to their Norway coastal service though.

FWIW the trip is from Portsmouth and goes via Dartmouth, Guernsey, Scilly Isles, Ostend and finishes at Tower Bridge, so give us a wave if you se me leaving Pompey on the 17th !

18 hours ago, jonno said:

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

But in actual fact those people who are showing symptoms have long since passed it on, probably by a sneezing bout several days previously!

Spot on Khaines. We are in the same position as looking up at the stars. When we do so we are not seeing things as they are today but as they were possibly billions of years ago. Figures, as they are today, don't represent the actual situation. We may have a vaccine tomorrow who knows?  We all know the day we were born wouldn't it make life a lot easier if when we were born we were also given the the date we would die? 

I'm in a bit of a fortunate position. Both my grandfather and my father both died on the same date both aged 89. If I'm to carry on the family tradition I need to remember to keep 23rd September 2035 clear.🙂

Edited by G4rth
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think the only thing any of us can guarantee regarding that date is that someone, somewhere, in France will be on strike. 😀 Ed  

Assuming “France” still exists! 😉