Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

36 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The sailings update page is showing a lot of PA's sailings to both France and Spain as being cancelled. They are also talking about consolidating services. 

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/sailing-updates

Ed

That’s my next Le Havre crossing cancelled then, I will wait and see what they try and switch me to ! Mind you saves me worrying about dock strikes.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Neil’s photo reminded me of my own mother, also a Margaret and 88 years young, lives on her own in a retirement flat near Bristol. She hasn’t seen anyone for over a week now so really important point

Posted Images

Interesting that the two ships that have been cancelled are the two just returned from refit.  I wonder if there is an element (particularly in PA’s case) of quite a lot of work still being needed before she is ready to return to service?

38 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Interesting that the two ships that have been cancelled are the two just returned from refit.  I wonder if there is an element (particularly in PA’s case) of quite a lot of work still being needed before she is ready to return to service?

Or just a logical reaction to dramatically slowing business? Easier to delay the returns to service I guess?

36 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Purely co-incidental I would say. Pont-Aven is primarily a passenger vessel, given reduced demand is logical to withdrawn her. Etretat (already back in service) traffic can be transferred to Caen with minimal distribution.

• Like 1

This may well not be sustainable for BF, their current crewing logic will see a number of staff not reporting for duty and will also risk  whole crews becoming infected.

It is only going to get worse, we may end up with freight only to Spain and perhaps just Portsmouth - Ouistreham operating to France (2 crossings a day with a decent clean in the middle and no restaurants / bars !)

Edited by David Williams
4 hours ago, neilcvx said:

This is just the beginning of it all.

I agree and it is going to get a lot worse,just wonder how long it is going to last for.they say when the weather warms up in the uk it will get better,cannot understand this the weather is already warming up in spain and yet there infection rates are going through the roof and where does that leave is all in the uk with the worst to come yet.stay safe all of you out there.

There's daft, stupid and then there's this:

"French 'yellow vests' flout ban

The "gilets jaunes" (yellow vest) protest movement took to the streets of Paris on Saturday, defying a government ban on gatherings of more than 100 people.

Several hundred people marched in the city, and police arrested 17.

The group frequently organise large anti-establishment protests to highlight rises in the the cost of living - particularly petrol."

From the BBC website. 

Ed

We've got a "BFE day trip" booked, going out overnight Portsmouth-St Malo on the 25th, back overnight on the 26th. I really appreciate all the helpful info and discussion on this site while I'm waiting to find out whether or not we can actually go. Anything can happen in the next 10 days, it's a strange time to say the least.

2 minutes ago, Shefford said:

We've got a "BFE day trip" booked, going out overnight Portsmouth-St Malo on the 25th, back overnight on the 26th. I really appreciate all the helpful info and discussion on this site while I'm waiting to find out whether or not we can actually go. Anything can happen in the next 10 days, it's a strange time to say the least.

The government over here have just announced that all non-essential shops will close as well cinemas, bars and restaurants. The implication is that the population have not listened to the advice, are still going out in the sun (see my photo yesterday) and are still shaking hands and kissing. Ed. 

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

The government over here have just announced that all non-essential shops will close as well cinemas, bars and restaurants. The implication is that the population have not listened to the advice, are still going out in the sun (see my photo yesterday) and are still shaking hands and kissing. Ed. 

Looks like I could be spending the day in Super U then 🤣  I'm expecting Pres Macron to ban all non-essential travel now, and we will therefore be staying at home. Thanks for the info.

3 minutes ago, Shefford said:

Looks like I could be spending the day in Super U then 🤣  I'm expecting Pres Macron to ban all non-essential travel now, and we will therefore be staying at home. Thanks for the info.

They have asked people only to travel for work, to buy food or for emergencies. Ed. 

• Thanks 1

Greece has also shut  bars, restaurants and shops on the basis that the population is not following Government advice. It rather looks like our first Greece break in early June is unlikely to happen but just how remains to be seen.

Edited by cvabishop

The problem was President Macron not being clear. He said that all educational establishments would be closed from Monday morning. That was interpretated as 'you can behave normally until then'. My daughters had swimming lessons, guitar lessons and gymnastics today, all of which were still running even though the classes were virtually empty. We judged that the risk was minimal and took them as usual and they all had signs up saying they would be shut from Monday. Ed. 

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The problem was President Macron not being clear. He said that all educational establishments would be closed from Monday morning. That was interpretated as 'you can behave normally until then'. My daughters had swimming lessons, guitar lessons and gymnastics today, all of which were still running even though the classes were virtually empty. We judged that the risk was minimal and took them as usual and they all had signs up saying they would be shut from Monday. Ed. 

Opposite here. All that stuff stopped yesterday. But agree, the gung ho brigade blocked their ears.

9 hours ago, colin said:

Opposite here. All that stuff stopped yesterday. But agree, the gung ho brigade blocked their ears.

I think the images on TV yesterday of people in Marseille out enjoying themselves in the sunshine, many of them publicly expressing their disregard for the official advice, forced the government to crack down. I do think that maintaining the election is a big mistake particularly as they will need to repeat the process in many big towns and cities next Sunday and by that stage we could be following the full Italian or Spanish model. Ed. 

10 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Seems Johnson is waking up and smelling the coffee.

Peston ITV article

That was the most stupid irresponsible bit of journalism I have seen for a long time..But as its Peston its probably par for the course. What it is, is a green light for more panic, panic buying, anguish and anger. Maybe its true maybe not. But it doesnt help anyone at this moment in time. Johnson is taking advice from the experts in science. If you hire these guys then choose to ignore their advice you become churlish and then dangerous. The panic is spreading faster than the virus and fools like Peston are just spreading it.....The gutter press indeed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Morning, i asked BF if during this virus Pandemic borders or travel were curtailed would we be refunded our Club Voyage fee....BF said No Refunds....seems very unfair...what do BFE think?

11 minutes ago, Loll55 said:

Morning, i asked BF if during this virus Pandemic borders or travel were curtailed would we be refunded our Club Voyage fee....BF said No Refunds....seems very unfair...what do BFE think?

Well the CV membership is an annual subscription and nothing to do with individual travel plans.  So I don’t see what the CV membership fee itself has to do with the current crisis.  Cancelling individual travel plans is something different, and I’d like to think BF will be offering refunds when it cancels sailings.

• Like 1