Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

The Corona virus hit Roscoff overnight, several victims in a critical state.....🤪 Chris

Posted Images

I thought we were all going quite well. We've had a Brexit no Brexit divide. We have a Scotland, Wales, NI and an England divide. We have a north south divide. We have an east west divide. Now we seems intent on creating a young old divide and creating division over which family members to meet.

We have world beating division. Well done everybody.   

• Like 1
Just now, Rattler43 said:

I thought we were all doing quite well. We've had a Brexit no Brexit divide. We have a Scotland, Wales, NI and an England divide. We have a north south divide. We have an east west divide. Now we seems intent on creating a young old divide and creating division over which family members to meet.

We have world beating division. Well done everybody.   

On 12/09/2020 at 13:37, cvabishop said:

It's certainly true that treatment regimes have improved but I still think the major reason for reduced hospital admissions and death rates so far is people of retirement age being very, very careful not to put themselves in harm's way. Just about all my friends and acquaintances in this category are effectively semi shielding and keeping well away from younger people as much as they possibly can. They can still do things but they don't mix.

Personal contact allowed with my 90 year old father since February? 30 minutes in July. Visit planned for tomorrow just cancelled by the home. 

Yet if nothing else there are far too many exemptions to any policy announced (a list each time so predictable in the self-interest of politicians and public servants on fat salaries) for it to make any sense at all. Mrs M starts Jury Service at the end of the month. Exempt activity. A jury room - safe? Don't make me laugh.

Sorry Colin it simply can't go on like this.  Everybody knows this really deep down - except it seems The Leader of the Conservative Party and his pals and the mediocrities the devolved nations are saddled with. 

• Like 3

Millsy, quite agree that the country can't go on lke this indefinitely although maybe it won't have to if there is success with some of the vaccines.

I don't know what the real answer is though. For Mrs B and I we can go on indefinitely as at present as long as we don't develop any more acute health conditions but obviously that is not an option for most. Just letting people do their own thing relying on enough of them to take commonsense precautions as per Sweden may be one option but I'm not altogether sure you could rely on enough of the Great British Public to act responsibly.

From what I have seen in the press it appears that a number of care homes are managing to maintain a degree of visiting whilst others, including apparently your Father's, seem unable to do so with distressing consequences. Why is there such a disparity?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, BZH29 said:

Flooding risk indeed.

Prochaines grandes marées

• Septembre 2020 : du jeudi 17 septembre au lundi 21 septembre.

Les Grandes Marées,  the seasonal exceptional high tides.   https://saint-malo-info.fr/grandes-marees/

In the good old days when there was a ferry sailing from St Malo 😢  the arrival time varied because of them, I think.

Colin could confirm.

Next Saturday is the high point and they do tend to attract crowds in St Malo so perhaps the idea is to avoid having extra tourists in the region at the moment. Ed. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, neilcvx said:

so he is breaking the law

Apparently not. He and his wife (who has mobility problems) live in a ground-floor annexe at his daughter's house in Hampshire with their own front door but same postal address. They moved in late last year and have been functioning as a single household since March for legal reasons so that both patents could keep working during lockdown. He's a retired solicitor so I suspect he's checked the legality of what is planned. Ed. 

• Like 1

If you haven't heard about it already I'm 'ashamed' about the student birthday party in Nottingham, attended by 50+ and resulting in a £10k fine for the host.  And I always thought uni students were more intelligent than me.

16 minutes ago, nottingham said:

If you haven't heard about it already I'm 'ashamed' about the student birthday party in Nottingham, attended by 50+ and resulting in a £10k fine for the host.  And I always thought uni students were more intelligent than me.

Had trouble with one in Bournemouth a week or so ago in a student let house.  Students tried to attack the family who called the police. Hope they get slung off their courses, it is the only thing they understand.

23 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Was this the one were his Dad who was away on a foreign holiday say it was disgraceful to blame his poor little boy and he will lodge an apppeal because diddums only invited 20 or so on face book and the rest were gatecrashers!!

1 hour ago, colinschandler said:

Was this the one were his Dad who was away on a foreign holiday say it was disgraceful to blame his poor little boy and he will lodge an apppeal because diddums only invited 20 or so on face book and the rest were gatecrashers!!

I think you're correct - the little oik also told the police to FO initially when asked to close it down, so they called in reinforcements to forcibly break it up.

When do the UK universities go back? I hope the process is better than what's going on here. My groups will be lucky to make it to the end of the week without the classes being switched online. At least 25 medical students in the same year group in Rennes have contracted the virus at various parties and that's being seen across the country Ed. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

When do the UK universities go back? 

My niece started college last week, my nephew went back to school this week, and I believe their elder half brother went back to university this week as well.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

When do the UK universities go back? I hope the process is better than what's going on here. My groups will be lucky to make it to the end of the week without the classes being switched online. At least 25 medical students in the same year group in Rennes have contracted the virus at various parties and that's being seen across the country Ed. 

When we were in St Andrews a couple of Saturdays ago one of the shopkeepers told me it was busy as it was the first day that students were allowed out after a strictly enforced quarantine we also passed an old church which was being used as a “student Covid testing “ facility.

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

When we were in St Andrews a couple of Saturdays ago one of the shopkeepers told me it was busy as it was the first day that students were allowed out after a strictly enforced quarantine we also passed an old church which was being used as a “student Covid testing “ facility.

My in-laws were in St Andrews that same day and said it was hell because of the number of students on the streets. My father-in-law had a fall in the street and everyone was crowding round him checking he was alright; there was absolutely no social distancing going on.