Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

8 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

My in-laws were in St Andrews that same day and said it was hell because of the number of students on the streets. My father-in-law had a fall in the street and everyone was crowding round him checking he was alright; there was absolutely no social distancing going on.

Very true we went and got a sandwich masks on walking along the street, then  cycled  along the beach which as you know is ok for social distancing, drove along the coast and didn’t even get out at Anstruther etc , it was so busy.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Thanks everyone! 5 hours in theatre, all done. They misrouted the catheter and can't get a new one in. Pray I manage to pee before 10pm or the stick a pronged tube through my stomach.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

When do the UK universities go back?  

Scottish unis are in the process of starting back and most, if not all, classes are online. My daughter is at Strathclyde and this week is freshers week, all online. Her classes are online for now, with different departments stating how long that will be before they review (one is saying until the end of October, the other the end of the first semester). She is fortunate to be studying in the Arts Faculty so she doesn't have practical classes to worry about, although one of her subjects is French and there is the conversational side of it which is normally done in small groups.

Strathclyde Uni has actually cancelled all foreign exchanges and years abroad this year. Students studying foreign languages spend their 4th year abroad and that has all been pulled. The conversational part of foreign language degrees is generally tutored by native speakers and Strathclyde has cancelled that too.

First time getting the train to that there London today since February. Much quieter trains (usually the first one I catch is standing room only, today there were four of us in a coach). With the exception of one individual who felt his mask was more effective left on the table whilst he was on the phone, everyone was following the guidelines.

Waterloo is unbelievably quiet, and again, lots of space.

1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

Very true we went and got a sandwich masks on walking along the street, then  cycled  along the beach which as you know is ok for social distancing, drove along the coast and didn’t even get out at Anstruther etc , it was so busy.

The beach may be ok for social distancing but the police still broke up a group of students there.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/1576531/police-disperse-group-of-50-youths-gathered-at-st-andrews-beach/

I was in Anstruther in the middle of July and even then it was busy. It was the day after the Fish Bar reopened and that would have been a factor. We are hoping to get up to the East Neuk next weekend but will probably not go out much other than to stock up at Ardross Farm Shop and the fish merchant in St Monans.

1 hour ago, Manxscorpio said:

Family off to North Berwick next week for a few days but will have to self isolate on return to the Island for 7 days and be tested (£50) or 14 days isolation - think east of Edinburgh is fairly clear of Covid19.

North Berwick shouldn’t be too bad was fairly busy last time I was there but it should have died down plus they have widened some of the footpaths, although a trip to Eyemouth for a fish supper is a must , Giacapozzis .

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

Family off to North Berwick next week for a few days but will have to self isolate on return to the Island for 7 days and be tested (£50) or 14 days isolation - think east of Edinburgh is fairly clear of Covid19.

Numbers are rising in Lothian according to today's update from Nicola Sturgeon. I suspect that it will be Edinburgh which is on the rise rather than the whole of the Lothians and hopefully if restrictions are put in place like we have here in the west, they will apply only to affected areas and not the whole health board area.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jim said:

First time getting the train to that there London today since February. Much quieter trains (usually the first one I catch is standing room only, today there were four of us in a coach). With the exception of one individual who felt his mask was more effective left on the table whilst he was on the phone, everyone was following the guidelines.

Waterloo is unbelievably quiet, and again, lots of space.

It feels like off-peak is the new peak! The flows of people going into the cities aren't there, but the midday trains between medium/large-sized towns are the ones which are closer to pre-COVID numbers. 

Meanwhile I had my first ever COVID test the other day (required for work). I was absolutely dreading it because I hate anything medical. In all honesty it wasn't pleasant, but not as bad as anticipated. Think a fairly intrusive trip to the dentist in terms of the throat bit, but only for 5-10 seconds. The nose bit wasn't the bit I was concerned about, but was probably more unpleasant. My sinus and ears ached for a few hours afterwards, consistent with if you've ever had anything carried out or had that torch in your ear that almost every trip to the Doctors during my childhood ended up with!

Edited by AdamW

Irish Government announced new 6 month plan today with levels 1-5 with 1 being the lowest levels. Whole country on level 2 despite Dublin area having massive increases in covid cases; they're having a few more restrictions, eg their pubs won't open on 21/9 like rest of republic.

interesting note here on the Med, near Perpignan. Whilst France has social distancing at 1 metre, on the beaches the rule is 3 metres even in the water. Most folks are abiding by face-mask rules in shops,etc but some restaurants look a bit crowded. 

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

Infection levels seem to be increasing down here in darkest Surrey...

(DTR)IMG_2717.JPG

Are those the final victims of the Black Death? Or are we not allowed to use that or other potentially discriminatory terms any more? Perhaps we should say 'racially diverse, equal opportunities demise'.

Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Are those the final victims of the Black Death? Or are we not allowed to use that or other potentially discriminatory terms any more? Perhaps we should say 'racially diverse, equal opportunities demise'.

Ed. 

or even "All lives matter"?

On 15/09/2020 at 06:40, Cabin-boy said:

When do the UK universities go back? I hope the process is better than what's going on here. My groups will be lucky to make it to the end of the week without the classes being switched online. At least 25 medical students in the same year group in Rennes have contracted the virus at various parties and that's being seen across the country Ed. 

They only went back this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-54181633

20 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed. 

nowt like a bit of faux political correctness for a laugh 🙄

• Like 4

Significant rise rise in hospitalised cases in England for week 37 - week ending 13/09...

Week 36 saw 126 inpatient cases across all of England, most centred around the Health authorities of Devon, Dorset & Cornwall.

Week 37 saw 412 inpatient cases across England and again most are to found in the South West.

These are the figures for established inpatients already receiving general medicine, those on specific Covid designated wards and those in ITU/ICU & HDU.  

• Thanks 1

(As I understand it... Shoving your granny off a bus is a nursery rhyme popular in Scotland and not an incitement to accelerate your grandmother's disembarkation from public transport)...

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Jim said:

(As I understand it... Shoving your granny off a bus is a nursery rhyme popular in Scotland and not an incitement to accelerate your grandmother's disembarkation from public transport)...

Is it a bit like the donkey in the minaret proverb?

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

I wouldn't put it past them! 😉

Ed

11 minutes ago, Jim said:

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Jim said:

More a kids playground song. Woolly vests and tattie soup figure ...

• Like 1
On 12/09/2020 at 12:58, jonno said:

The largest groups of cases are in the South East- Devon & Cornwall.

Ever since you posted this I've been wondering where you got the figures from, the infection rate in Cornwall is still very low and we keep being told there's only one case in Royal Cornwall Hospital, so unless the numbers have jumped without us being told something is wrong with your info.