Jump to content
Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

We've a young crowd in here today!

Thanks for asking @jonno No change I’m afraid, felt a little better yesterday but a little worse today. Trying to rest as much as possible. Think the missus is on the mend though, she’s now

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

Did the Aberdeen situation not start because an oilrig worker had been tested as positive and prevented from travelling to his rig so he went to the pub?

Apparently so .

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Students are bleating that it is 'unfair' to lockdown. What planet are they on? The virus isn't concerned with being fair or unfair. If they insist on partying it will spread as it is doing already.

The 'second wave' is due to selfish people squandering the breathing space built up by the lockdown and restrictions and acting as if everything is back to the old normal. Goodbye Christmas!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our favourite granddaughter, aged 22 and no longer a student, has just moved into a different shared  house in London with four or five others the same age - "all our friends came round to see it and stayed quite late, there was quite a crowd but it wasn't really a party" . She wants to come to Cornwall next weekend to see her grandparents who are well past 80.  What should we say to her? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wortley said:

Our favourite granddaughter, aged 22 and no longer a student, has just moved into a different shared  house in London with four or five others the same age - "all our friends came round to see it and stayed quite late, there was quite a crowd but it wasn't really a party" . She wants to come to Cornwall next weekend to see her grandparents who are well past 80.  What should we say to her? 

Tell her she has to Quarantine for two weeks before crossing the bridge.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Solo said:

Ever since you posted this I've been wondering where you got the figures from, the infection rate in Cornwall is still very low and we keep being told there's only one case in Royal Cornwall Hospital, so unless the numbers have jumped without us being told something is wrong with your info.

Covid tracker

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Students are bleating that it is 'unfair' to lockdown. What planet are they on? The virus isn't concerned with being fair or unfair. If they insist on partying it will spread as it is doing already.

The 'second wave' is due to selfish people squandering the breathing space built up by the lockdown and restrictions and acting as if everything is back to the old normal. Goodbye Christmas!

My university class yesterday (which was where all the problems seemed to start last week) was attended by 13 students while the other 9 were absent. The excuses were either: being positive, waiting for results to arrive or isolating because of the risk to other family members. If that's being seen in all the other groups, and I'll see more next week I suppose, then the student population must be making big strides to developing herd immunity. Perhaps we should simply protect ourselves as teachers, let them get on with it (as they seem incapable or following the rules anyway) and hope that by the time we get to half-term the contagion will have dropped. Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jonno said:

Feast your eyes on this Brigitte...

NOIDS-weekly-report-week37-2020.pdf 164.64 kB · 4 downloads

These are the English figures for the most recent week... up to last Sunday.

Thinking of posting this weekly if no one has any objection?

 

This says that there were only 400 covid cases in England in a week, It looks more like that the Doctors in the South West are more Diligent in reporting cases. The European map shows the South West to be better than the north of England. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David Williams said:

This says that there were only 400 covid cases in England in a week, It looks more like that the Doctors in the South West are more Diligent in reporting cases. The European map shows the South West to be better than the north of England. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

 

 

This is getting confusing, the table that Jonno posted is completely different to everything else that's been published, according to that list Devon, Cornwall and Dorset should be locked down and not all the areas up North.  Lies damned lies and statistics, don't ask me which is which with the numbers being published.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Solo said:

This is getting confusing, the table that Jonno posted is completely different to everything else that's been published, according to that list Devon, Cornwall and Dorset should be locked down and not all the areas up North.  Lies damned lies and statistics, don't ask me which is which with the numbers being published.

They all show different snapshots of the situation, none of which are true in their own regard but POV dependent. Plus a lot of data is historic, not right now.

And none of this was unexpected, we will continue waving 2nd, 3rd, 4th et al forever as SARS-CoV-2 is extremely unlikely to disappear, especially as it is constantly mutating - one of the features of this type of virus. The magic silver bullet vaccine will help but not solve, it will always play catch up like flu.

And how many people will have the vaccine without proper testing, even the vaccine producing companies are asking governments for exemptions from vaccine liability - how confidence building ...

And still the right questions are not being dealt with to get us out of the situation. There is a high probability that we will be going through the same in 6 and 12 months time. Eventually we will either become a totalitarian health state or it will fade to background and life will continue as before.

Will we be prepared for future viruses? Do we learn from history.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, David Williams said:

This says that there were only 400 covid cases in England in a week, It looks more like that the Doctors in the South West are more Diligent in reporting cases. The European map shows the South West to be better than the north of England. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

 

 

 

1 hour ago, Solo said:

This is getting confusing, the table that Jonno posted is completely different to everything else that's been published, according to that list Devon, Cornwall and Dorset should be locked down and not all the areas up North.  Lies damned lies and statistics, don't ask me which is which with the numbers being published.

Hospitalised cases... not infection rates.

It's the hospital cases which are the burden on the NHS, where the mortality rates are found, not those who are infected by the thousands and feel rough for a week or two which will be 99% of those with Covid.

@David Williams it's 412 hospitalised cases not 400, in terms of bed space 12 makes a big difference especially in the smaller health authorities.

These are accurate reported figures on a local level, let's keep them accurate please...

The week before the figure for those in England who needed hospitalisation was 126 so a jump to 412 in 7 days is significant.

Again as i've mentioned on previous posts, many of the inpatient stays have shortened significantly since the use of Dexamethasone & Beta Interferon have proved successful in treating around 25% of sufferers.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet it has been reported that my town here in Cornwall has been highlighted has having a cluster of cases, which is anything more than 2 cases in a specific area.  Apparently we have had a total of 3 cases in a week, in a population of approx 7-8000

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


Looking like we will all go into some type of lockdown apparently there’s a COBR meeting on Monday (hopefully all will attend) and some decision then , if no meeting then the  individual nations will go into a different lockdown.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paul said:

And yet it has been reported that my town here in Cornwall has been highlighted has having a cluster of cases, which is anything more than 2 cases in a specific area.  Apparently we have had a total of 3 cases in a week, in a population of approx 7-8000

 

5 hours ago, Paul said:

And yet it has been reported that my town here in Cornwall has been highlighted has having a cluster of cases, which is anything more than 2 cases in a specific area.  Apparently we have had a total of 3 cases in a week, in a population of approx 7-8000

On Spotlight tonight (BBC news SouthWest for those of you in the East!) they are reporting a new a cluster of cases. Just like a number of other cluster cases across the UK, in a meat factory in Redruth, one of our most populous towns and they are still testing.

But up here on the edge of Bodmin Moor none of our neighboring villages have reported any cases at all since day 1. If I wanted to guarantee social distancing within 100 metres let alone 2 metres of someone, i would have to drive 8 miles to LIDL in Bodmin which  has two meat factories!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, colinschandler said:

 

On Spotlight tonight (BBC news SouthWest for those of you in the East!) they are reporting a new a cluster of cases. Just like a number of other cluster cases across the UK, in a meat factory in Redruth, one of our most populous towns and they are still testing.

But up here on the edge of Bodmin Moor none of our neighboring villages have reported any cases at all since day 1. If I wanted to guarantee social distancing within 100 metres let alone 2 metres of someone, i would have to drive 8 miles to LIDL in Bodmin which  has two meat factories!

 

I'm in Launceston, and I'm guessing that if our food factory was still open (it closed last year), there might be in a similar situation.

I've been down to Morrisons in Bodmin a couple of times lately and things have been fine there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/09/2020 at 22:04, wortley said:

Our favourite granddaughter, aged 22 and no longer a student, has just moved into a different shared  house in London with four or five others the same age - "all our friends came round to see it and stayed quite late, there was quite a crowd but it wasn't really a party" . She wants to come to Cornwall next weekend to see her grandparents who are well past 80.  What should we say to her? 

To answer my own question... I suggested she gets a test before she comes here. She has booked that in London and if it 's negative she will come to see us, unless London is locked down by then.  A pity that tests are so hard to get in other places. 

Edited by wortley
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...