Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

23 hours ago, colinschandler said:

Brigitte's covid tracker shows Cornwall with less than 10 in 100,000 of population?

You can't have any faith in Cornwall's figures. The Medical Officer for the county decided on day one that the information was subject to patient confidentiality and keeps the data secret. We know about cases in Plymouth and South Hams because their decision is different. For all we know all the deaths in Cornwall could have been from the same health worker visiting all the old peoples homes. We don't know the dates of admission to Treliske of those who have died or where they came from. The ONS data can be over six weeks old.

The only thing I do know is that 2 local people who were not hospitalised but dealt with it at home while lambing a few hundred sheep both have permanent damage. They are in the youngish age group and she has problems walking and some kidney and lung damage while he has liver damage and has been told he will likely need a transplant within 5 years.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

We've a young crowd in here today!

Thanks for asking @jonno No change I’m afraid, felt a little better yesterday but a little worse today. Trying to rest as much as possible. Think the missus is on the mend though, she’s now

Posted Images

On 18/09/2020 at 22:04, wortley said:

Our favourite granddaughter, aged 22 and no longer a student, has just moved into a different shared  house in London with four or five others the same age - "all our friends came round to see it and stayed quite late, there was quite a crowd but it wasn't really a party" . She wants to come to Cornwall next weekend to see her grandparents who are well past 80.  What should we say to her? 

I would suggest she isolate for 14 days in Devon first.

If she thinks that the virus only spreads at parties and not if all her friends come round then her student days seem wasted.

• Like 1

The Government ar stressing not to get a test unless you have symptoms as people 'just checking' are playing a major part in overloading the test and trace system. It's all over the news etc. Has she not noticed?

Maybe best to defer the visit.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Paul said:

I'm in Launceston, and I'm guessing that if our food factory was still open (it closed last year), there might be in a similar situation.

I've been down to Morrisons in Bodmin a couple of times lately and things have been fine there.

Morrisons do appear to have a much tighter grip on distancing than some of our other supermarkets in Bodmin. Well controlled  access and a controlled queuing system at check-out on my last couple of visits, they seemed to have taken on extra staff for the purpose. ALDI is the worst.

50 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

Morrisons do appear to have a much tighter grip on distancing than some of our other supermarkets in Bodmin. Well controlled  access and a controlled queuing system at check-out on my last couple of visits, they seemed to have taken on extra staff for the purpose. ALDI is the worst.

Our local one removed the queuing system last month :(

40 minutes ago, Jim said:

Our local one removed the queuing system last month :(

Seems to be only small local stores and clothing shops like Next doing any sort of restrictions etc down here , Asda was a disgrace this morning and I only went in for chestnuts .

Not looking forward to the queuing system being reintroduced at the Sainsbury’s I go to..  Read in the Mail that panic buying could come back as delivery slots are few and far between.as well.  

Edited by Khaines
4 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Read in the Mail that panic buying could come back as delivery slots are few and far between.as well.  

That is total rubbish, however could become a self fulfilling prophecy. I have just looked at Sainsburys in my area and most home delivery slots are available.

I do wish that papers, especially the Reach group, could act responsibly and recognise their responsibility to inform properly.

Stop reading the papers and their online editions and treat all stats with extreme caution. As for precautions down here retail is OK in our experience it is the irresponsibility of the hospitality sector that has been mind-boggling and if they get shut down again they will only have themselves to blame.  It is matched really only by the ineptitude of the government and local councils and acting when and where they should.

Edited by Millsy
41 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Not looking forward to the queuing system being reintroduced at the Sainsbury’s I go to..  Read in the Mail that panic buying could come back as delivery slots are few and far between.as well.  

Surely  controlled queuing, face mask instance. controlled spacing etc is a small price to pay to protect us older population from the the young generation who quote themselves on TV interviews as saying "Well if i catch it it won't be  a problem" and so ignore the rules as a unacceptable prohibition on their freedom to do as they like.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TerryDorset said:

Ours too. But they re-instated it yesterday.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/20/morrisons-reinstates-door-marshals-to-prepare-for-covid-19-second-wave?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Sounds like Morrisons are increasing some measures - but the article is also clear Tesco and Sainsbury's have said there are no issues with product supply as things stand

Thing is, if Johnson DOES apply another lockdown, and it seems that if the numbers continue to increase as sharply as they are at the moment, the likelihood of another full lockdown could be on the cards, then the closer we get to this then the public will start panicking again.  At present the news everywhere is full of Whitty trying to persuade Boris that we need to and Johnson is resisting another full lockdown, but if things carry on as they are with the numbers rising, then we could be catapulted back to March.

10 hours ago, colinschandler said:

Surely  controlled queuing, face mask instance. controlled spacing etc is a small price to pay to protect us older population from the the young generation who quote themselves on TV interviews as saying "Well if i catch it it won't be  a problem" and so ignore the rules as a unacceptable prohibition on their freedom to do as they like.

just a neutral observation from everyday life dealing with all demographics - work and play.

Rightly or wrongly, there is a strong undercurrent a lot of the “young generation” and mid generation are already feeling that they are paying the price for the older generation - climate change, pensions, housing, gender inequality, racial inequality, debt et al. Why do they have to pay again ... ?

The generational divide seems to be growing as strong as left vs right, leave vs remain, torpedo vs triangular rolls etc. And we do not want to open the roll issue again.

Again from direct observation, not all the “older generation” want to shelter, they are enjoying all the time they have left.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Having read through a resume of what Mr Whitty said earlier I understand that they estimate the possibility of 50,000 new cases a day and 200 deaths per day a month later. So am I correct in saying that of those 50,000 new cases they expect 200 to die? If so then 49,800 will recover. That's less than a 0,5% mortality rate isn't it? Ed. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Having read through a resume of what Mr Whitty said earlier I understand that they estimate the possibility of 50,000 new cases a day and 200 deaths per day a month later. So am I correct in saying that of those 50,000 new cases they expect 200 to die? If so then 49,800 will recover. That's less than a 0,5% mortality rate isn't it? Ed. 

Still 6000 deaths a month though this winter

• Like 1
3 hours ago, colinschandler said:

Still 6000 deaths a month though this winter

Maybe. Or not if the flu doesn't do as much damage as usual due to those at risk protecting themselves as they have successfully done so far. 

The real question is what ratio of deaths to newly unemployed people the government is willing to countenance and pay for.

Ed. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Shipping Forecast said:

a lot of the “young generation” and mid generation are already feeling that they are paying the price for the older generation - climate change

Vey true. There are certainly some that have the attitude of "I won't be around when it gets really bad, so why bother?" with Climate Change. A bit like those younger people who feel immune from Covid. 

I'm pretty sure that Johnson won't do another lockdown. He can't afford to. The only way it would work would be with almost total furlough and the money printing machines must be worn out by now. If only someone had predicted that going back to work / school / the pub would cause an increase and ramped up testing so that people could self-isolate only when it was needed?

Mr Whitty has spoken and so, as night follows day, have the markets. Somebody needs to give these medical experts some lessons in realpolitik. The railways are broke (and all the twenty years successfully persuading folk to leave their cars at home has been poured down the drain), tourism as we know it is finished, live entertainment is moribund most of it finished for good, the hospitality sector will follow. These are big money generators. The only thing that has stopped s full scale run on the banks is the fact that house prices have remained at lunatic levels. Wait till the re-possessions start for that to change. Ed in the previous post but one has put the political choice starkly in his last sentence. It's been the same since day zero. Nobody in public life has been willing to say it though...

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 6

May I ask publicly on this forum why some posts get redacted or removed and yet others are allowed to remain?

At the top of this thread there is a reminder not to get too political. Khaines' post above is a clear example of just such a comment and yet it is allowed to stay, untouched.

If this is due to a clear left-wing bias running through the moderation of the forum then please let's be honest about it, shall we?

I replied to the above comment last night with a tongue-in-cheek post suggesting that grouse-hunting was unlikely to lead to a spike in COVID cases and pointing out, based on historic evidence of reintroduced local lockdowns, where such spikes were more lilkely to occur.

I also wished to challenge the clear assumption that the current government and their friends go grouse-hunting and then drive their Range Rovers to the pub for a pint while the exploited lower classes trudge off to the workhouse to earn just enough for bowl of gruel.

I know the truth may be unpalatable at times, and that some people are unable to believe anything not reported in the Guardian, but more transparency on why certain views are tolerated and others not would be helpful. 

The alternative is to close this thread entirely, which would be a shame as many of the posts provide useful information, and focus purely on ferries - remember those?

Obviously, if there are higher powers pulling the strings of what we are entitled to discuss and mention then so be it. But again, let's be told if that's the case. The recent blocking of Twitter users suggests this may be happening and the forum is therefore on the precipice of a very slipery slope.

Ed

• Like 3
  • Haha 1