Jump to content
Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Neil’s photo reminded me of my own mother, also a Margaret and 88 years young, lives on her own in a retirement flat near Bristol. She hasn’t seen anyone for over a week now so really important point

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

So looks like the magic bullet to Covid is.... closing pubs at 10? That's possibly it?

Which means they diehards will start an hour earlier to maintain their daily quota .

Edited by Chef
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

May I ask publicly on this forum why some posts get redacted or removed and yet others are allowed to remain?

At the top of this thread there is a reminder not to get too political. Khaines' post above is a clear example of just such a comment and yet it is allowed to stay, untouched.

If this is due to a clear left-wing bias running through the moderation of the forum then please let's be honest about it, shall we?

I replied to the above comment last night with a tongue-in-cheek post suggesting that grouse-hunting was unlikely to lead to a spike in COVID cases and pointing out, based on historic evidence of reintroduced local lockdowns, where such spikes were more lilkely to occur.

I also wished to challenge the clear assumption that the current government and their friends go grouse-hunting and then drive their Range Rovers to the pub for a pint while the exploited lower classes trudge off to the workhouse to earn just enough for bowl of gruel.

I know the truth may be unpalatable at times, and that some people are unable to believe anything not reported in the Guardian, but more transparency on why certain views are tolerated and others not would be helpful. 

The alternative is to close this thread entirely, which would be a shame as many of the posts provide useful information, and focus purely on ferries - remember those?

Obviously, if there are higher powers pulling the strings of what we are entitled to discuss and mention then so be it. But again, let's be told if that's the case. The recent blocking of Twitter users suggests this may be happening and the forum is therefore on the precipice of a very slipery slope.

Ed

Ed’s post respectively deserves a reply here

I don’t actually read the Guardian, cannot abide it.  I am a Mail reader funny enough.  Or any paper come to think of it I choose to buy on a daily basis. I buy the Mirror as well regularly. It was the Mail on Sunday where I got the story of benefit freezes.  And grouse hunting has become quite a nationwide joke regarding current restrictions imposed by the Government, hence why I mentioned it, and it doesn’t matter whether you are left or right wing, when it comes to the upper echelons of British society, you can be certain that they won’t be affected.  Need to look at the outrage from the top earners at the suggestion that taxes could be raised for them to pay for the furloughing.  

I don’t see any left or right wing bias here.  There are posters which hold strong leave and remain views, but in general I cannot see a left wing bias at all.  I did not see your reply, Ed, so cannot comment on that, but when it comes to left wing, I am anything but biased.  I take a right or left view of things based on what I see in everyday life, and in the case of grouse hunting and benefit freezes, I definitely have a left wing response.  But when it comes to people like Extinction Rebellion and over the top left wing protestors, I take quite a hard right view!!  And that right wing view covers quite a lot of climate change stuff.  But under a Tory Government, you can bet your bottom dollar that the filthy rich will not have their jollies or bank accounts curtailed.  That is my point.

Anyhow, hope that clarifies things.  I don’t see this forum as either left of right wing bias!

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

May I ask publicly on this forum why some posts get redacted or removed and yet others are allowed to remain?

At the top of this thread there is a reminder not to get too political. Khaines' post above is a clear example of just such a comment and yet it is allowed to stay, untouched.

If this is due to a clear left-wing bias running through the moderation of the forum then please let's be honest about it, shall we?

I replied to the above comment last night with a tongue-in-cheek post suggesting that grouse-hunting was unlikely to lead to a spike in COVID cases and pointing out, based on historic evidence of reintroduced local lockdowns, where such spikes were more lilkely to occur.

I also wished to challenge the clear assumption that the current government and their friends go grouse-hunting and then drive their Range Rovers to the pub for a pint while the exploited lower classes trudge off to the workhouse to earn just enough for bowl of gruel.

I know the truth may be unpalatable at times, and that some people are unable to believe anything not reported in the Guardian, but more transparency on why certain views are tolerated and others not would be helpful. 

The alternative is to close this thread entirely, which would be a shame as many of the posts provide useful information, and focus purely on ferries - remember those?

Obviously, if there are higher powers pulling the strings of what we are entitled to discuss and mention then so be it. But again, let's be told if that's the case. The recent blocking of Twitter users suggests this may be happening and the forum is therefore on the precipice of a very slipery slope.

Ed

Actually Ed, there's a pretty simple reason the post was removed - related to the somewhat dubious metaphor at the end which was rather disparaging/borderline offensive towards residents of a city up north and reported to the moderation team by another member.

Unfortunately whilst I did try to PM you about this it appears your account is unable to accept messages as your mailbox is full (there's a limit of 100 sent/received messages).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There was nothing left wing or right wing about the post if it's the one I saw.

Posting nudge nudge, wink wink tropes about poor people in a city known for its ethnic minority should be against the AUP of any civilised forum.

Edited by hhvferry
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

There was nothing left wing or right wing about the post if it's the one I saw.

Posting nudge nudge, wink wink tropes about poor people in a city known for its ethnic minority should be against the AUP of any civilised forum.

Oh for goodness sake..I get hacked off with people who take offence at everything these days..in some circles it appears De riguer...they need to get over themselves and grow up

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

People have, and are entitled to, different views on topics. That doesn't necessarily make anyone right or wrong but it does mean that people need to take a step back and give a some consideration on what other views might be.

It's been said time and time again - but our membership and readership is wide ranging and therefore what's posted should take this into account. Something written down can also come across very different to how it was intended. That's even more the case when you don't personally know the individual writing it and how they might say something in a conversation.

In reality, I have a penchant for swearing profusely and a dark sense of humour - but here isn't the place to share it, so I don't.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chef said:

Which means they diehards will start an hour earlier to maintain their daily quota .

I think it was a general trend before the pandemic to "tank up" before going late to the pub. This mostly applied to groups of young women who would meet in one of their houses with a bottle of wine each to help each other do their hair and makeup. They would arrive at the pub at 9:30 already drunk. That was the time I and my friends would leave.

Perhaps it is a Cornwall thing. A bottle of wine from Lidl is about the same as a drink in a pub.

Edited by Jim
Swapped in the word 'drunk' ;)
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

I think it was a general trend before the pandemic to "tank up" before going late to the pub. This mostly applied to groups of young women who would meet in one of their houses with a bottle of wine each to help each other do their hair and makeup. They would arrive at the pub at 9:30 already drunk. That was the time I and my friends would leave.

Perhaps it is a Cornwall thing. A bottle of wine from Lidl is about the same as a drink in a pub.

Pre-drinking is very much a thing (been there, seen it, done it, been sick on the t-shirt).

I can't help but feel the 22.00 cut-off is an attempt to be seen to do 'something' as opposed to doing 'nothing' and when 'something' doesn't work out in a couple of weeks time they can say 'we tried it, now we have to do something more severe'.

I understand the case for reducing the amount of potential time for exposure, and that later in the evening is when social distancing seems to go out of the window but I remain unconvinced the 22.00 rule will make a difference. I hope to be proved wrong.

The problem with all these rules and stats is they can be interpreted in so many different ways (and often to the reader's preference) things can become as clear as mud. There's one article I've read on Sky News this morning that suggests the 50,000 cases/day number being quoted is nothing more than scare-mongering and that if we're on the same track as France/Spain as it's claimed it'll be 10,000. Even scientists on SAGE are in disagreement - and unfortunately with much of this we'll only find out what's right once it's potentially too late.

On a personal note, having watched Mrs Jim go through what was a 'not straightforward' pregnancy under COVID (or not watch, since I wasn't allowed in) and now need follow-up for complications does leave me genuinely concerned about the NHS becoming over-stretched. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is a very real difference between city centres and smaller places. Down here most pubs could shut at 10.00 pm without inconveniencing more than an incalculably small percentage of the already incalculably small percentage of the population that ever darken their doors anyway. Even on a Friday night. I think it's one of the biggest changes in habits I've seen in my adult life from the days when you could not get a drink some weekends for the crowds to it being the same as every other night. Maybe we should differentiate between what might be described as Bars and Hostelries?

 

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobCrox said:

I think it was a general trend before the pandemic to "tank up" before going late to the pub. This mostly applied to groups of young women who would meet in one of their houses with a bottle of wine each to help each other do their hair and makeup. They would arrive at the pub at 9:30 already drunk. That was the time I and my friends would leave.

Perhaps it is a Cornwall thing. A bottle of wine from Lidl is about the same as a drink in a pub.

Certainly was the case when i worked in Plymouth

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

 

I replied to the above comment last night with a tongue-in-cheek post suggesting that grouse-hunting was unlikely to lead to a spike in COVID cases and pointing out, based on historic evidence of reintroduced local lockdowns, where such spikes were more lilkely to occur.

Ed

Myth has it that Grouse Shooting is the roots of calling train spotters Gricers. Apparently a very upper class group of shooters approached a group of spotters and asked what the hell they were doing on the land with those cameras. One of the spotters said: "Well what are you doing with those guns?" The reply in a very strangled plummy accent was "Oh we're gricing." Which got the reply "We're Gricing too."

Edited by Millsy
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Millsy said:

Myth has it that Grouse Shooting is the roots of calling train spotters Gricers. Apparently a very upper class group of shooters approached a group of spotters and asked what the hell they were doing on the land with those cameras. One of the spotters said: "Well what are you doing with those guns?" The reply in a very strangled plummy accent was "Oh we're gricing." Which got the reply "We're Gricing too."

Is this when peasant shooting , oops I mean pheasant shooting became popular .

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Chef said:

Is this when peasant shooting , oops I mean pheasant shooting became popular .

 

38 minutes ago, Chef said:

Is this when peasant shooting , oops I mean pheasant shooting became popular .

Could have been a disaster, instead of shooting a  "Mallard" with their cameras, a they could have used their guns ! LoL

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jim said:

There's one article I've read on Sky News this morning that suggests the 50,000 cases/day number being quoted is nothing more than scare-mongering and that if we're on the same track as France/Spain as it's claimed it'll be 10,000.

But in the case of France they have had mask wearing in shops for some time and will continue to abide by sensible measures. The ignorant and uneducated UK population are a greater risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

But in the case of France they have had mask wearing in shops for some time and will continue to abide by sensible measures. The ignorant and uneducated UK population are a greater risk.

You might want to read the report of our roving eyewitness before proclaiming the virtues of Jean le Bloggs

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Coronavirus only appears after 10pm and in rule of 6, the 7th person will be infected or can infect others. If you are stood at the bar, you can get infected with the virus, but when you are seated you are safe to remove your mask. This virus is a genius!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

In my "roving eyewitness" role I observed that the French are wearing masks outdoors in busy shopping and tourist areas and this is enforced by the police. In practice it means that people are constantly taking their masks off and putting them back on again when required (as we did too). We saw several people with masks dangling from their wrists and worn on their elbows when they weren't required to wear them on their face, so that didn't seem very hygenic. There are signs everywhere stating that social distancing should be 1 metre, but I saw little evidence that people (or the police) were bothering with that, the focus seems to be all about masks.

According to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/19/scientists-criticise-uks-hands-face-space-campaign-to-control-covid-19-coronavirus  social distancing "is the most critical factor", maybe the UK has it right in persisting with the 2m social distancing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wearing my mask practically all the time now when out, apart from when I am walking in quieter streets, in which it is round my chin, pulling it back up when approaching the town centre.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...