Corona virus

Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

Here's another lot who don't seem to think the rules concern them. I do have an opinion on this article but you probably don't want to hear it. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9052779/Zayn-Maliks-sisters-40-guest-wedding-broken-POLICE-flouting-Tier-3-rules.html

However, when it comes to fining them, how about the same £6,000 each as in Guernsey but multiplied by the number of people present. Thereby the individual fine increases exponentially as you potentially infect more and more people. One illegal guest means you pay £6,000 but with 39 you pay £234,000 and that applies to each person present, not just the organisers. 

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Thanks everyone! 5 hours in theatre, all done. They misrouted the catheter and can't get a new one in. Pray I manage to pee before 10pm or the stick a pronged tube through my stomach.

Posted Images

The French prime minister announced on the radio this morning that parents should consider keeping their kids off school on Thursday and Friday this week to allow for a 7-day quarantine period before family get togethers at Christmas.

I sent Cabin-girl a message to that effect at the school where she works but haven't yet had a reply.

Both the Cabin-kids have told us they have special activities planned for Friday at school so I can't see them being very enthusiastic about following this advice.

I'm working at home those two days as I had originally planned to not mix indoors with anyone except my immediate family for a week anyway so can look after them if needed. I'll be interested to see what the uptake is. 

Ed

• Like 1

I got stopped by the police tonight!

Our lockdown ended at midnight and was replaced by a 8pm to 6am curfew. If out and about during the curfew you need yet another document to prove the reason. If you are working, your employer should provide proof of your activity.

I had a lesson yesterday with the administrative director of the local hospital and asked her if she could give me such a document as on Tuesdays and Wednesdays I teach at the hospital until 8pm and it takes me 30 minutes to drive home.

So, about 10 minutes from home I was flagged down by some Gendarmes (the government said they planned to increase the number of checks) and asked why I was out. I said I was returning home after work. They asked where I worked. I brandished my document and said 'the hospital' and they simply waved me on without even checking the details. I could have been cleaning the toilets or doing brain surgery but they didn't seem interested in finding out.

We'll see if they stop me again tomorrow.

Ed

On 15/12/2020 at 10:58, Cabin-boy said:

However, when it comes to fining them, how about the same £6,000 each as in Guernsey but multiplied by the number of people present. Thereby the individual fine increases exponentially as you potentially infect more and more people. One illegal guest means you pay £6,000 but with 39 you pay £234,000 and that applies to each person present, not just the organisers. 

Surely just fine each guest and revoke any licenses etc from the hosting company?

Unless you have evidence that guest were coerced to attend.. 

On 15/12/2020 at 11:24, Cabin-boy said:

I'm working at home those two days as I had originally planned to not mix indoors with anyone except my immediate family for a week anyway so can look after them if needed. I'll be interested to see what the uptake is. 

Similar situation to me. Unfortunately, it effectively means that I am mixing with 100+ other adults, just by way of having two children.

It would appear that the Welsh First Minister has said the Principality will go back into lockdown once the Christmas period is over. If that's the case then surely he's breaking his promise not to have another national lockdown and instead favour regional restrictions. 

When will these governments grasp the fact that it doesn't work, at least not with western mentalities. They need to find a different approach. To quote Einstein: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Over here in the last week I've had three Masters students either withdraw from their courses or request extensions for their coursework deadlines due to the mental stress they are under. Being forced to stay alone in their small flats or return to their families is taking its toll. There is no 'bubble' system in place here. An elderly lady (78 and the aunt of one of my students' wives) committed suicide last week by jumping into the Loire as she could no longer cope with being alone. If France is forced back into lockdown in early January it's going to be very difficult. The university system are anticipating students returning to physical classes at the start of February so I do hope there is a plan in place. 

Ed

• Sad 1

It would appear that the Welsh First Minister has said the Principality will go back into lockdown once the Christmas period is over. If that's the case then surely he's breaking his promise not to have another national lockdown and instead favour regional restrictions. 

When will these governments grasp the fact that it doesn't work, at least not with western mentalities. They need to find a different approach. To quote Einstein: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Over here in the last week I've had three Masters students either withdraw from their courses or request extensions for their coursework deadlines due to the mental stress they are under. Being forced to stay alone in their small flats or return to their families is taking its toll. There is no 'bubble' system in place here. An elderly lady (78 and the aunt of one of my students' wives) committed suicide last week by jumping into the Loire as she could no longer cope with being alone. If France is forced back into lockdown in early January it's going to be very difficult. The university system are anticipating students returning to physical classes at the start of February so I do hope there is a plan in place. 

Ed

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

Restrictions do not work effectively because of the use of the word "essential" 

To a teenager meeting their mates is essential.

To a son or daughter seeing their Mum at Christmas is essential

To a party goer a party is essential.

For anyone wanting to travel to Spain A Covid test is essential. 

Any one needing to take their pets abroad vaccinations / paperwork is essential.

Browsing round the local shopping centre is an essential leisure activity to some

None of these are essential to me

Getting to a Doctors / Nurse / Physio is. 

Visiting the local Screwfix is

So to make it work it needs to be a clear ban as what is essential activity differs between individuals

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IanN said:

So to make it work it needs to be a clear ban as what is essential activity differs between individuals

The rules are very clear, it is the messaging that is confusing.

The rules normally control what is allowed to be open and who / how many are allowed to gather in different circumstances.

Normally, with the exception sometimes of Wales you are allowed to go anywhere that is open with no restriction.

However when the rules are explained it adds in guidelines which are just recommendations  which have as much force as eat 5 a day. 

• Like 1

It would appear that Tuesday's lunch at the parliament building involved representatives from most of the political parties in France and that there were at least 10 people around the rectagular dining table. Jean Luc Melonchon says he was 10 metres away (in the poor seats according to what he said this morning) and so doesn't believe he's a contact case. The government have put out a press release stating that everyone was at least 2 metres from their neighbour and were all using microphones to make themselves heard. However, people are questioning why the public should limit themselves to just 6 guests for Christmas dinner when the government feels it's acceptable to have more.

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

However, people are questioning why the public should limit themselves to just 6 guests for Christmas dinner when the government feels it's acceptable to have more.

One rule for them and another for us... wonder where Boris and his cronies are going to for Christmas, makes me think that's the major reason for relaxing the travel rules, can't be caught doing a Dominic ☹️

1 hour ago, dojidave said:

One rule for them and another for us... wonder where Boris and his cronies are going to for Christmas, makes me think that's the major reason for relaxing the travel rules, can't be caught doing a Dominic ☹️

I don't think so. It's certainly not unusual to have those kind of numbers in the workplace (and I assume politics is a from of work)

• Like 2

Questions are now being asked as to whether the President has been applying his own advice when it comes to barrier gestures. He has  been shown greeting people at the Elysee this week with handshakes and other forms of physical contact. The press believes he was probably infected during last week's EU summit in Brussels. It turns out that is not Scottish tourists coming back from Spain who are the biggest super-spreaders but the EU leaders themselves! 

Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is pretty unbelievable...

Macron has decided to self-isolate at the official country residence used by French Presidents just outside Paris.

I don't recall any permission being given for infected people to leave their homes and travel to their holiday houses. And I believe that Trump was roundly criticised for taking a drive in his presidential vehicle when contagious to wave at his fans outside the hospital, thereby putting his driver and bodyguards at increased risk. I sincerely doubt Macron drove himself to his country house so the same criticism should apply.

I can't see this going down well over here. How any of his own rules is he going to break? The list is certainly growing.

Ed

Portsmouth possibly moving to Tier three will this effect what's left of BF Passenger Traffic. Probably a Grey area but I wonder if BF will issue guidance.

Was feeling optimistic yesterday so booked a crossing to Spain for 01/09/2021 

49 minutes ago, IanN said:

Portsmouth possibly moving to Tier three will this effect what's left of BF Passenger Traffic. Probably a Grey area but I wonder if BF will issue guidance.

Was feeling optimistic yesterday so booked a crossing to Spain for 01/09/2021 

Long Live Pont Aven

He's not the president of France. He's a very naughty boy!

Macron appeared on TV last night in a stage-managed video to reassure the French public that he was OK and to explain that even he, with his strictly-adhered-to rules, was susceptible to the virus. He assured us that he used gel, masks and social distancing, despite the recent videos showing the contrary.

Meanwhile, legal proceeding have been launched against unnamed EM party officials for putting guests and palace workers at unnecessary risk for a political dinner which could have been conducted over video link and which broke the government's own curfew limits and which had more then 6 guests around the same table. Macron himself is immune from prosecution (just as well as French prisons will soon be overflowing with political figures) but other top party members could be in the dock.

He's going to need some of Brian's divine intervention to get himself out of this mess.

Ed