Corona virus

Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

Yes, the visit, although within the rules was not altogether wise and he has paid with his life plus his son has to live with the consequences, as will his wife and rest of his family.

A tragedy all round and just one of many.

But if any one insists to me that it is just a cold...

Colin

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Thanks everyone! 5 hours in theatre, all done. They misrouted the catheter and can't get a new one in. Pray I manage to pee before 10pm or the stick a pronged tube through my stomach.

Posted Images

I just thought I'd post an end-of-year pool update. 

I have decided to keep it in place and filled throughout the winter.

I was told that once the temperature of the water drops below a certain point then bacteria can't develop nearly as easily as long as the chlorine levels are regularly topped up.

It's currently at a rather fresh 6 degrees which means putting my hand into the water to attach the vacuum is pretty painful. I've been cleaning it with the vacuum every 3 weeks and running the pump at weekends, weather permitting, and it's manageable. 

The cover is preventing most of the leaves etc. flying around from getting in the water but there is still some dirt at the bottom that needs vacuuming up. 

Ed

DSC_0709.JPG

• Like 1

Just for curiosities sake I've had a trip down memory lane to look at what medical facilities were available in my home city the last time this country was crippled by a virus. 

Obviously medical research, discovered drug therapies and after care has changed the landscape but in terms of actual medical centres - centres which have beds and the staff to care for inpatients, many if not most have gone, sold off to be converted to University sites and halls of residence..

I was interested why today a virus which on a global scale has such a low mortality rate but requires days or even weeks of convalescence puts so much strain on our modern NHS.

The answer seems to be that we simply don't have the facilities or staff anymore.

1968, the year I was born, was in the throes of a flu outbreak that by 1970 had directly accounted for the lives of 3 million men, women & children. No vaccine, no real drug therapies, Andrew Allen's life changing drug which he discovered at Boots, Ibuprofen, was still a year away from marketing. 

The outbreak is what has partly given us the flu jabs we have today combined with the strain that was the cause of the 1957 & 1967 outbreaks. These are the viruses the A & B vaccines are produced from which are used annually in differing quantities to deal with the specific strain doing the rounds. 

Historically the city of Liverpool was in decline which peaked around 1986 but in that 20 - 25 year period we also saw the building of overspill dwellings due to the cities slum clearance programme, dwelling built in areas which where previously rural... Kirkby, Halewood, Huyton, Cantril Farm & Speke not to mention those a little further afield such as the  Liverpool New town of Skelmersdale who's residents travelled to Ormskirk for medical treatment. (I was born there so I'm really a woolly back and not a true scouser!)

At this time Liverpool and the surrounding boroughs of Sefton & Knowsley which form part of the city but are beyond the boundary was well catered for.

Eight major hospitals with A&E/Casualty/ED facilities, Bootle, Fazakerley, The Royal, Broad Green, Walton, Sefton, Newsham Park & Whiston.

Five separate maternity hospitals, Fazakerley Lower lane, Broad Green Thomas Lane, Mills St, The Myrtle Oxford St, Whiston Stoney lane.

Four children's hospitals, Alder Hey, Myrtle St, Olive Mount, Rathbone.

One women's hospital, Catherine St.

Today for a population which has increased to nearly 1.6 million?

It's scary stuff...

Three major hospitals with A&E, Fazakerley, The New Royal, Whiston.

Two separate maternity hospitals, Lower Lane & Stoney Lane which are now absorbed into both Fazakerley and Whiston.

One combined women's & maternity, The Liverpool Women's. This replaced The Myrtle & Catherine St but now has only 60% of the bed space.

One children's hospital, Alder Hey.

The borough of Sefton no longer has a hospital, residents travel to The Royal. Knowsley have Whiston but now that has to also serve St Helens too which has a greater population than here in Harrogate.

I also looked at South Wales, an area close to my heart but that was too depressing.

This isn't to prove anything as such, just something to occupy the mind but it makes you wonder...

• Like 4
11 hours ago, jonno said:

Just for curiosities sake I've had a trip down memory lane to look at what medical facilities were available in my home city the last time this country was crippled by a virus. 

Obviously medical research, discovered drug therapies and after care has changed the landscape but in terms of actual medical centres - centres which have beds and the staff to care for inpatients, many if not most have gone, sold off to be converted to University sites and halls of residence..

I was interested why today a virus which on a global scale has such a low mortality rate but requires days or even weeks of convalescence puts so much strain on our modern NHS.

The answer seems to be that we simply don't have the facilities or staff anymore.

1968, the year I was born, was in the throes of a flu outbreak that by 1970 had directly accounted for the lives of 3 million men, women & children. No vaccine, no real drug therapies, Andrew Allen's life changing drug which he discovered at Boots, Ibuprofen, was still a year away from marketing. 

The outbreak is what has partly given us the flu jabs we have today combined with the strain that was the cause of the 1957 & 1967 outbreaks. These are the viruses the A & B vaccines are produced from which are used annually in differing quantities to deal with the specific strain doing the rounds. 

Historically the city of Liverpool was in decline which peaked around 1986 but in that 20 - 25 year period we also saw the building of overspill dwellings due to the cities slum clearance programme, dwelling built in areas which where previously rural... Kirkby, Halewood, Huyton, Cantril Farm & Speke not to mention those a little further afield such as the  Liverpool New town of Skelmersdale who's residents travelled to Ormskirk for medical treatment. (I was born there so I'm really a woolly back and not a true scouser!)

At this time Liverpool and the surrounding boroughs of Sefton & Knowsley which form part of the city but are beyond the boundary was well catered for.

Eight major hospitals with A&E/Casualty/ED facilities, Bootle, Fazakerley, The Royal, Broad Green, Walton, Sefton, Newsham Park & Whiston.

Five separate maternity hospitals, Fazakerley Lower lane, Broad Green Thomas Lane, Mills St, The Myrtle Oxford St, Whiston Stoney lane.

Four children's hospitals, Alder Hey, Myrtle St, Olive Mount, Rathbone.

One women's hospital, Catherine St.

Today for a population which has increased to nearly 1.6 million?

It's scary stuff...

Three major hospitals with A&E, Fazakerley, The New Royal, Whiston.

Two separate maternity hospitals, Lower Lane & Stoney Lane which are now absorbed into both Fazakerley and Whiston.

One combined women's & maternity, The Liverpool Women's. This replaced The Myrtle & Catherine St but now has only 60% of the bed space.

One children's hospital, Alder Hey.

The borough of Sefton no longer has a hospital, residents travel to The Royal. Knowsley have Whiston but now that has to also serve St Helens too which has a greater population than here in Harrogate.

I also looked at South Wales, an area close to my heart but that was too depressing.

This isn't to prove anything as such, just something to occupy the mind but it makes you wonder...

The biggest problem Jonno is that with modern medicine patients don't spend long in Hospital, so the brains said we don't need so many beds.  Also with more medicine being centred on super Hospitals they got rid of the smaller ones, keeping all the experts in one place.  Then something like Covid comes along and they haven't got the capacity, beds or staff.

The French authorities, if the leaks from Government are true, seem to be planning to roll out the 6pm curfew across the entire country from this weekend. 

The professor in charge of ICU beds at the hospital in Angers told me last night that he sees no need for such drastic measures in our area as they are not under any significant strain right now. His view was that they feel they need to do something each week just to pretend they are in charge otherwise people will get complacent. He's also concerned that it will lead to people crowding unnecessarily into public transport and supermarkets to meet the deadline and thereby increasing the risk of contagion. 

He said that the logical option, if they were serious, is a full national lockdown now for a short period to regain control of cases while they can before things get worse. The reason they won't do so seems to be that the (already delayed) winter sales are due to start next Wednesday and there would be a massive backlash from shopkeepers if they close everything down again right now. 

He also had his first vaccination yesterday and said he's sure doses are being wasted due to inefficient organisation.

Ed

The French prime minister is apparently going to be accompanied by 6 other ministers at his weekly press conference this evening. 

I was wondering what the collective noun is for such a group. 

A shower of...

An embarrassment of...

A flange of...

Any other suggestions? 

Ed

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The French authorities, if the leaks from Government are true, seem to be planning to roll out the 6pm curfew across the entire country from this weekend.

I have to say I don't really see the point of a 6pm curfew if bars / restaurants / cinemas are already closed and mixing in other's homes is already banned. As you say, it's just going to artificially compress the travel of those who follow the rules.