Jump to content

Corona virus


Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

We've a young crowd in here today!

Thanks for asking @jonno No change I’m afraid, felt a little better yesterday but a little worse today. Trying to rest as much as possible. Think the missus is on the mend though, she’s now

Posted Images

3 hours ago, G4rth said:

Spot on Khaines. We are in the same position as looking up at the stars. When we do so we are not seeing things as they are today but as they were possibly billions of years ago. Figures, as they are today, don't represent the actual situation. We may have a vaccine tomorrow who knows?  We all know the day we were born wouldn't it make life a lot easier if when we were born we were also given the the date we would die?

I agree with every word of this, by the way.  Good post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

France confirmed 19 additional cases of coronavirus late Friday.   That brings the total in the European country to 57, and health officials cautioned an epidemic was now imminent.  

 “We are preparing for an epidemic,” French Health Minister Olivier Véran said. He added that “we are now moving to stage two. The virus is circulating in our country and we must stop its spread.”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gareth said:

That’s where it gets political! 😀

Surely not if both choices are given and no preference is given for either. That said I suspect I might know which one you would pick just as I suspect you would know my choice.🤭

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, merc said:

France confirmed 19 additional cases of coronavirus late Friday.   That brings the total in the European country to 57, and health officials cautioned an epidemic was now imminent.  

 “We are preparing for an epidemic,” French Health Minister Olivier Véran said. He added that “we are now moving to stage two. The virus is circulating in our country and we must stop its spread.”

 

They were saying the same about the flu epidemic in mid-February. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://sante.lefigaro.fr/article/epidemie-de-grippe-34-deces-en-france-la-vaccination-toujours-possible/&ved=2ahUKEwj_3_uG9vbnAhUhz4UKHfS3DDgQFjAWegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw0QsBi9XdqrJdEA3fchIISM

Ed

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please let us avoid stupid, uninformed spouting about something that is killing people, and over which we have no control.

Of course, avoiding panic reactions is important, but think seriously. You do not need to comment, so perhaps refrain?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And back to the original question. BF have published their policy.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/travel-information/coronavirus-covid-19

This includes:-

__________________________

There’s currently no reason not to travel to any of the destinations Brittany Ferries serves in UK, France, Spain and Ireland. Authorities have only advised against travel to China and Northern Italy. Therefore customers who wish to amend or cancel their booking will be subject to standard terms and conditions for amendments and cancellations. We will however continue to monitor the situation and will review this policy in light of any relevant changes to official advice.

_________________________________

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well B/F would say that wouldn't they? They must be in some despair at the hit they could be going to take. My son's businesses in Hong Kong have crashed already and he has made 60 of his 100 staff redundant - that level of economic disaster could easily reach Western Europe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Well B/F would say that wouldn't they? They must be in some despair at the hit they could be going to take. My son's businesses in Hong Kong have crashed already and he has made 60 of his 100 staff redundant - that level of economic disaster could easily reach Western Europe. 

It will hit in all sorts of ways in the coming months. Would you book a cruise at the moment?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s pretty irrelevant what you do.  It’s a contagious virus that is long past being containable.  It will have to run its course and we will have to hope that damage is limited.  We will all be exposed to it, and most of us will fight it off.  The ability to influence the course of events by changing your travel plans is minimal.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, colin said:

Please let us avoid stupid, uninformed spouting about something that is killing people, and over which we have no control.

Of course, avoiding panic reactions is important, but think seriously. You do not need to comment, so perhaps refrain?

Colin could not agree more than what you said.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gareth said:

It’s pretty irrelevant what you do.  It’s a contagious virus that is long past being containable.  It will have to run its course and we will have to hope that damage is limited.  We will all be exposed to it, and most of us will fight it off.  The ability to influence the course of events by changing your travel plans is minimal.

I suspect it may well effect people's travel plans. Not so much that they will believe they will be more likely to become ill if they travel but I suspect most people would, if they are to become ill, prefer to be ill at home and not in some foreign country.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that’s true.  I’m sure that people will change their travel plans - either for that reason or because of a belief that it will help to avoid exposure to the virus.  But the latter is only a belief, and the fact is that it will make only minimal difference to the likelihood of exposure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, G4rth said:

I suspect it may well effect people's travel plans. Not so much that they will believe they will be more likely to become ill if they travel but I suspect most people would, if they are to become ill, prefer to be ill at home and not in some foreign country.

Yes, that is the reason for our unease. We are both in our 70s and I have diabetes; by all accounts that's two risk factors ticked off!

 

Thanks for everybody's input.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, G4rth said:

I suspect it may well effect people's travel plans. Not so much that they will believe they will be more likely to become ill if they travel but I suspect most people would, if they are to become ill, prefer to be ill at home and not in some foreign country.

I am not certain whether it will affect my travel plans, depends on what the Governments, here, France or the Channel Islands decide if they think restrictions should be put in place that would affect me personally.  As far as I am concerned I haven’t had a decent day out for ages, and this past month with all the rain has really got me so fed up I am feeling a lot better for the lighter mornings and feel I want to start making plans for a few Spring trips to brush off the winter cobwebs.  So as far as I personally am concerned, I am quite happy to be very British and keep calm and carry on.

 I think we could let ourselves be too scared to leave our own front doors, so long as people are sensible and take precautions we should just get on with our lives.

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...