Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Neil’s photo reminded me of my own mother, also a Margaret and 88 years young, lives on her own in a retirement flat near Bristol. She hasn’t seen anyone for over a week now so really important point

Posted Images

France's second biggest airport, Orly, has now totally shut down until further notice. There are around 300 planes parked around the airfield and only 15% of the workforce will be working for the duration to manage the maintenance of the site. All the planes will be inspected weekly and moved forwards or backwards by a quarter turn of their wheels to prevent damage. Ed. 

Gatwick is reaching a similar position with one terminal closed and the other operating on reduced hours. With the news easyJet are grounding operations followed by today's announcement from BA they will cease operations at Gatwick, it seems like only a matter of time before it fully closes.

Manchester has closed terminals 2 and 3 and although the airfield is still 24/7 it is restricting arrivals to the hours of 6am to 4pm and departures from 8am to 4pm..Not that there will be many of them..

Apparantly Bournemouth airport has over £1 Billion of aircraft parked up on the airfield.

Edited by Paully
  • Thanks 1

I believe most of the large airports are keeping at least one of their runways open and clear for emergency diversions, medical evacuations or arrivals and military operations. Ed. 

I know I should know the answer to this as I have been reading up on most posts posted on here.

However, i have a passages booked in May, it’s still showing as sailing, but I am  confident that it will be cancelled in the next batch of cancellations (Santander to Portsmouth)

should I move my booking now, they have taken the money by the way or is it in my interest to wait for BF to cancel 

I must be missing something here.

The British Government keeps saying (although they’re backing down a bit today) that there’s sufficient testing capability - I’m paraphrasing somewhat.

The health professionals are going berserk though.  I’m not trying to make a political statement - just saying.

Over here (and as always, I can only speak authoritatively about my own local area) one of the local labs has set up a drive-through testing facility in the car park right outside their clinic in our local town of 18,000 inhabitants (although the catchment area is of course much larger).  Appointments are available to health care workers and members of the general public for whom an appointment has been made by their GP.  Capacity is apparently 80-90 tests / day.   There are 4 other similar testing sites within a 40 km radius.  Quite impressive really and presumably they could quite easily expand the number of tents.

For non French residents, when I talk about a ‘lab’, this is a blood or other ‘fluids’ testing facility which you go to here, or to which the test material is sent by the nurse if the test is done at home.  Mrs G’s scheduled monthly blood test was done at home by our local community nurse at 09.00 this morning.  We had the results on the internet at 12.00 !

19 hours ago, Paully said:

Manchester has closed terminals 2 and 3 and although the airfield is still 24/7 it is restricting arrivals to the hours of 6am to 4pm and departures from 8am to 4pm..Not that there will be many of them..

Apparantly Bournemouth airport has over £1 Billion of aircraft parked up on the airfield.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18348294.now-jumbo-jets-taking-sanctuary-bournemouth-airport/

The main photo could have been taken from my window.  It isn’t my photo, but it is roughly the same view I had of a Jumbo coming right in front of mine, and quite low.  Luckily my shipspotting binoculars were to hand, wondered where it was going, the one I saw was heading west.  

4 hours ago, Gardian said:

I must be missing something here.

The British Government keeps saying (although they’re backing down a bit today) that there’s sufficient testing capability - I’m paraphrasing somewhat.

The health professionals are going berserk though.  I’m not trying to make a political statement - just saying.

Over here (and as always, I can only speak authoritatively about my own local area) one of the local labs has set up a drive-through testing facility in the car park right outside their clinic in our local town of 18,000 inhabitants (although the catchment area is of course much larger).  Appointments are available to health care workers and members of the general public for whom an appointment has been made by their GP.  Capacity is apparently 80-90 tests / day.   There are 4 other similar testing sites within a 40 km radius.  Quite impressive really and presumably they could quite easily expand the number of tents.

For non French residents, when I talk about a ‘lab’, this is a blood or other ‘fluids’ testing facility which you go to here, or to which the test material is sent by the nurse if the test is done at home.  Mrs G’s scheduled monthly blood test was done at home by our local community nurse at 09.00 this morning.  We had the results on the internet at 12.00 !

I spoke to a hospital lab technician in Angers this evening who works in bacteriological infections. She's relatively busy despite not being a virologist because a lot of presenting patients have underlying infections that are complicating thier COVID-19 treatment.

One of her department's secretaries has just come back to work after two weeks at home recovering from COVID-19 following a holiday in Spain. The authorities have refused to test her to be sure that's what she had due to lack of testing capacity.

It seems the provision is quite sporadic and somewhat surprising given that here we are not currently at the peak of the epidemic which is expected in the next week or so.

Ed

I think this offers a bit of balance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

For me and the missus today has been number 5 and although we both still feel grotty and quite lethargic the chills and sweats seem to have stopped - on Monday I slept a lot, had the heating on full blast, T shirt, thin jumper & fleecy shirt and still shivered - and the cough which was quite constant is now more sporadic.

Anyone know how @nick hall and his family are doing?

Edited by jonno
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

I spoke to a hospital lab technician in Angers this evening who works in bacteriological infections. She's relatively busy despite not being a virologist because a lot of presenting patients have underlying infections that are complicating thier COVID-19 treatment.

One of her department's secretaries has just come back to work after two weeks at home recovering from COVID-19 following a holiday in Spain. The authorities have refused to test her to be sure that's what she had due to lack of testing capacity.

It seems the provision is quite sporadic and somewhat surprising given that here we are not currently at the peak of the epidemic which is expected in the next week or so.

Ed

I think the U.K are testing similar volumes to France which is more than Japan.

10 hours ago, jonno said:

I think the U.K are testing similar volumes to France which is more than Japan.

Glad to hear you`re heading in the right direction...all the best to you and the wife..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Keep fighting everyone. Hope it turns a corner. The sun is shining down here and it raises the spirit. 

Most people are so kind. The neighbour one side is diabetic .The other side has had pleurisy, the partner has an enlarged heart. All are younger than me by 6 years and I'm fit! They have offered to help me and my wife! Made me smile.

Wifes cousins husband, a retired Doctor irons his daily newspaper and puts magazines in the oven at 175 deg to kill the virus. We shall have him sectioned.

Stu

Edited by straightfeed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today is apparently Autism Awareness Day and President Macron has said that those with the condition will soon have a new document available to allow them to go outside, with their carers of necessary, and visit sites which offer a reassuring environment for them. Ed. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Today is apparently Autism Awareness Day and President Macron has said that those with the condition will soon have a new document available to allow them to go outside, with their carers of necessary, and visit sites which offer a reassuring environment for them. Ed. 

Should do this in the UK, I have autism and although I can pretty much care for myself, there are plenty who find all this overwhelmingly tough.  I would be more than happy to have something like this, as it does feel stressful going about one’s everyday business the best one can under the circumstances, without having to check and see if there are any police about before you sit on a bench for a couple of minutes rest.  Or waiting for someone to pick me up who works as a support service.  Being questioned by coppers isn’t something that autistic people cope with too well.  Should not have that worry.

The key difference as it stands being in the UK we don't (currently( need a document to go out stating what our purpose is - though I understand in this case it would make it much more straightforward if being questioned by the authorities to have one regardless.

1 hour ago, The Ferry Man said:

I fail to see though what difference the document actually makes?

"Look here I have a paper saying I'm going shopping!"

Because my bags don't clearly make it obvious...

The difference between having a document saying "I'm going shopping at Supermarket X" and being stopped on a logical route between your house and Supermarket X...

... or popping around to a clandestine house party in contravention of the steps the government need you to follow... whilst carrying some bags to give the impression you're on the way to or from the shops.

• Like 1

At present I cope ok, and when I am with support, I carry an invoice from her to show as I am in her Freelander and we do not live in the same house.  And we both have numbers of social workers who can vouch for us.   As I live a few minutes from the beach anyway, I can  take a stroll down as part of my allotted exercise, it takes me five minutes to get there, then I have a sit down for a few minutes, and then walk back home, or to the shop if I need a couple of things.  Because I don’t appear on the surface to have a disability - it is an invisible one, I just look like any other member of the public sunning themselves on the seafront.   I don’t necessarily feel comfortable about wanting a piece of paper saying I have exceptional circumstances for being out, as for me personally I cope ok, but I think something like this would be very useful to people who find it harder coping than me.

17 hours ago, jonno said:

I think this offers a bit of balance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

For me and the missus today has been number 5 and although we both still feel grotty and quite lethargic the chills and sweats seem to have stopped - on Monday I slept a lot, had the heating on full blast, T shirt, thin jumper & fleecy shirt and still shivered - and the cough which was quite constant is now more sporadic.

Anyone know how @nick hall and his family are doing?

Thanks for asking @jonno

No change I’m afraid, felt a little better yesterday but a little worse today. Trying to rest as much as possible.

Think the missus is on the mend though, she’s now claiming I just have man flu and I’m milking it. 😂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Channel Seaways have just introduced a larger ship with a increased freight capacity on the UK - CI route. 1,000 tons of extra toilet roll per rotation can now be carried. This article is from BBC Guernsey:

"Larger cargo ship to serve Channel Islands

Channel Seaways

A larger cargo ship, able to carry up to 1,000 tonnes more than its predecessor, has arrived to serve Guernsey, Alderney and Jersey, Channel Seaways has announced.

The 80m (260ft) MV Trinity will replace the smaller MV Valiant, which has served the islands islands for eight years.

Tom Videlo

Channel Seaways, part of the Alderney Shipping Group, said the introduction of the larger vessel at a time of "immense uncertainty" underlines their "long-term commitment" to islanders and local businesses.

They have been deemed a critical business during the pandemic, as they serve the freight routes from Poole to Alderney, Guernsey and Jersey for essential supplies, including fuel, food medical and animal feeds.

The group has been running for 50 years and is the only remaining sea passenger and freight service serving the islands that is locally run and owned."

Ed

• Thanks 1

Now that a lot of cruise ships have a rare break off-schedule at the moment... do you think companies will be utilising that time to do any outstanding maintenance/refurb work? Seems an ideal time to do it, but I guess as with everything, logistically hampered....

On 02/04/2020 at 15:00, The Ferry Man said:

I fail to see though what difference the document actually makes?

"Look here I have a paper saying I'm going shopping!"

Because my bags don't clearly make it obvious...

You're almost at your 2000th post! Many Happy Returns :)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Now that a lot of cruise ships have a rare break off-schedule at the moment... do you think companies will be utilising that time to do any outstanding maintenance/refurb work? Seems an ideal time to do it, but I guess as with everything, logistically hampered....

I think that would depend a great deal on the level of quarantining in the country with a yard capable of doing the work. China are beginning to lift restrictions but does that include shipyard work from other nations?

Germany maybe, I notice today that they're happy to allow 40,000 workers to enter the country for the harvesting?