KenTownley

Corona virus

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Now that a lot of cruise ships have a rare break off-schedule at the moment... do you think companies will be utilising that time to do any outstanding maintenance/refurb work? Seems an ideal time to do it, but I guess as with everything, logistically hampered....

Maintenance work doesn’t end well if you are a cruise ship who found herself in a squabble with a Venezuelan Navy patrol boat.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/03/americas/venezuela-navy-cruise-liner-incident-intl/index.html

• Haha 2

I love the bit about 'carrying mercenaries'. Presumably armed to the dentures with zimmer-frames and walking sticks. And led by Sergeant Jones (they don't like it up em!). Ed. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The saddest Tweet you will ever see about Covid 19 #StayHome 

I never thought I'd see burials that nobody could attend here in the UK during my lifetime... if nothing else, I can't think of a starker or harder-hitting reminder that this virus does not discriminate and isn't 'just the flu' (as was common thinking 4-6 weeks or so ago) and it - and the procedures put in place to reduce its spread - must be respected. 

• Like 5

Social distancing.

I live down a country lane on the edge of a National Park. The sun is shinning.  I'm working in my garage looking out to the lane. I've never seen so many people walking up the lane. 20 couples in one hour! Well spaced out. A few cars.

Its like a door has been opened. I recognised a few from the village but most I have never seen before.

Boy, I was tempted to shout-"go home" 

Stu

• Like 3

I never thought I'd see burials that nobody could attend here in the UK during my lifetime...

Although his family were in quarantine I believed there were in fact a number of mourners present but out of shot in the photo. Still desperately tragic though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Although his family were in quarantine I believed there were in fact a number of mourners present but out of shot in the photo. Still desperately tragic though.

It’s not a funeral anybody let alone a little boy deserves.

477E51D4-503F-4ECA-B89F-8223F0C7EF63.thumb.jpeg.703e1db34f0348968d9e59a533758453.jpeg

• Like 1

Don’t think there’s anyone would dispute that Neil.  None of this nonsense is what anybody “deserves”.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Don’t think there’s anyone would dispute that Neil.  None of this nonsense is what anybody “deserves”.

Unfortunately there are thousands of people in the UK who will continue to disregard the Government advice - but who will rely on the NHS to treat them...….

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Unfortunately there are thousands of people in the UK who will continue to disregard the Government advice - but who will rely on the NHS to treat them...….

Yep saw that today groups of 5 kids joy riding on cars old folk talking away like everything is normal, it’s mind numbing.

27 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

I thought the police were supposed to be issuing on the spot fines (?....).

12 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I thought the police were supposed to be issuing on the spot fines (?....).

They were patrolling local beauty spots here not sure if they issued fines but with such a vast area and limited police numbers it’s impossible to be everywhere and of course I’m sure they have better things to do .

So if the Government insists everyone stays indoors and the same people flout it how does that improve things? It doen't make any extra police available. Just makes the rest of the population even more miserable than they already are.

Would there be an exception for dog walkers and if so does that not mean that exercising your dog is more important that exercising your child?

30 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Yep saw that today groups of 5 kids joy riding on cars old folk talking away like everything is normal, it’s mind numbing.

Motorbikes using the deserted roads as race tracks

Getting my PPE tomorrow hopefully I won’t have to use it  , I’m not sure what would happen if the guys got it they are fragile enough medically , I’ve been on holiday this week which has been a blessing and a curse.

I do appreciate the views of members on this subject - from so many differing aspects.  Fed up hearing stories about the 'misdemeanors' of Dr Calderwood and  sun bathing Londoners on the TV!  I sincerely do not need an aging person in a leotard jumping around on my screen either!

It's a very strange world. We have a cottage in Normandy and we are both 76. We have had the cottage for yonks and when we started we used to be faithful P&O people on the old Super Vikings. When P&O pulled out of the Western Channel we transferred our allegiance to BF and have been trundling back and forth (CV members) about ten times a year for ages. We came back from ten days in Normandie at the end of February just before it all went pear-shaped. But I feel absurdly relaxed about it. If we don't get over for six months so what? The mice might have eaten the bedding, and the place will be a tip, but a couple of weeks should sort things out. If things are really bad when lockdown ends and BF aren't running properly we'll just go tunnel and drive down. It's pain in the butt and takes forever but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

• Like 5

6 months is a start though in truth there’s no reason to think we will be travelling overseas again by then , the cop26 event scheduled to be held in Glasgow in November is cancelled after all, unless we have a vaccine in place when they lift these current restrictions we will see a spike of cases again, there’s just too little known about this virus to put an end date on it .

I think I’m loosing the plot!!!

just seen these in my front garden 😳

1DC93AAE-F3D7-4325-8083-F3A3E9A8CABB.jpeg

On 24/03/2020 at 12:46, Gardian said:

They weren’t on one of the Sunday flights, but were on (what was probably) one of the last flights out last night.

They landed at Gatwick this morning .......... but minus their luggage, which is still on the ship!

Also, passengers who failed a ‘temperature test’ had to remain on the ship.  There were more than a few of them apparently.  They’re very, very relieved.

Some of you may remember that this related to my cousin who was on a Caribbean cruise with his wife.

There had been a small number of cases onboard and those passengers obviously weren’t allowed to return to the UK.  Anyway, barely 2 weeks on, my cousin’s wife has started to feel quite unwell and is exhibiting the classic CV symptoms.

Incidentally, they had made the decision to self isolate at home for 2 weeks, but this wasn’t as a result of any advice or directive. Many, if not most wouldn’t have done.  To the best of my knowledge, no passengers (and at a guess, we’re talking about c. 2,000) were tested on their return to the UK.   

just seen these in my front garden 😳

A classic case of chickens coming home to roost...

• Haha 1