Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Thanks everyone! 5 hours in theatre, all done. They misrouted the catheter and can't get a new one in. Pray I manage to pee before 10pm or the stick a pronged tube through my stomach.

Posted Images

My daughter and two colleagues, teachers in a Lycée in France, are due to be taking a party of French Catering students to Cornwall in around a fortnight. The education authorities have informed them today that all educational trips anywhere overseas are now on hold - not yet cancelled, just on hold.

3 hours ago, JenT said:

My daughter and two colleagues, teachers in a Lycée in France, are due to be taking a party of French Catering students to Cornwall in around a fortnight.

And they will learn how much better Cornish food is!

Met a French surgeon on a BF ferry who has a permanent home in Cornwall and commutes to France for work. 5 days in each 2 weeks. We asked why he liked Cornwall. His reply; "Better food".

3 hours ago, JenT said:

My daughter and two colleagues, teachers in a Lycée in France, are due to be taking a party of French Catering students to Cornwall in around a fortnight. The education authorities have informed them today that all educational trips anywhere overseas are now on hold - not yet cancelled, just on hold.

...and we are due to head the other way from Cornwall to France (Limoges) at the same time...It's a real teaser and no proper advice from government or the FO.

8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I shall head out onto the streets right now to conduct a comprehensive test. Ed. 

Well, if they hadn’t before they will now! 🤣

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Millsy said:

You expect proper advice from those clowns? Might be a long wait...

Just what advice do you want, they are telling us to wash our hands regularly, to self isolate if we travel to any of the known areas of infection or show any symptoms.  The only other option is everybody stays at home alone for two weeks, so it naturally dies out.

Last night they said about 3,000 had died world wide, how many die on the roads just in this country every year? Do we stop driving? It's more dangerous than Corona at the moment.

• Like 4

Thing is you have already spread the virus if you have it before you show any symptoms, that is what confuses me yet we are being told to self isolate if we have symptoms.  As I said in an earlier post, by the time you realise you are ill, you have long passed it on so what is the point of self isolating if you have passed the infectious stage..

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 2

As I said in an earlier post, by the time you realise you are ill, you have long passed it on so what is the point of self isolating if you have passed the infectious stage..

Well it does mean that you are less likely to pass it on to any more people...

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sante/virus/coronavirus/coronavirus-la-carte-du-nombre-de-cas-par-region-en-france-6762402

Not frankly that it is of much use as the number and spread of cases is accelerating. Italy is ahead and UK behind, but all headed in the same direction. We have just had the first death in Brittany, a 92 year old. Despite the silliness above, this is serious, is spreading, and will affect a high proportion of our populations. (Affect does not mean kill - current approx 1% death rate amongst infected, expected to fall slightly). Governments and other organisations will do their best, but in the end, you have to make your own decisions based on necessity of travel etc, and take such sensible precautions as you can.

My daily life is unaffected as of today, other than us all making a joke of how to greet each other....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My Sister has a place in Les Contamines which has had the virus she’s away there on Saturday not bothered about catching it worth noting she’s a Doctor, I guess you just deal with it and take the advice from the appropriate authorities .

• Like 2

Was just at my local Boots the pharmacist said they had a large queue outside this morning and sold out of hand sanitising gel in half an hour 🤷‍♂️ Luckily I wasn’t there for that . 

15 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Was just at my local Boots the pharmacist said they had a large queue outside this morning and sold out of hand sanitising gel in half an hour 🤷‍♂️ Luckily I wasn’t there for that . 

Just wait, the headlines in the Daily Mail next week will be "shocking world shortage of hand sanitiser"... god forbid a norovirus pandemic and we run out of toilet roll, we'll all want a newspaper then won't we!

Ask you sister for a few bottles of hibiscrub or octenisan wash, that stuff'll kill anything.

• Thanks 1

Whilst this topic started off as a discussion about effect on travel plans with BF, and as such was rightly in the BF discussions section of the forum, it has now become a more general discussion about the issue.  As such, I’ve moved it to its now-correct place in Open House Chatter.

In doing so, it is worth sticking in a reminder that all members are entitled to post their views of, and reactions to, this serious issue.  The facts of the seriousness of the issue are not contentious, but people are entitled to make their own decisions about how they are going to let it affect their daily lives and to express those views on here.  Expressing views that differ from your own does not make them “stupid” or “silly”.

Some people will spend the next six months doing nothing but worry, and others will get on with their lives and try to stay cheerful.  Neither course of action will make a jot of difference to the fact that, sooner or later, we will all be exposed to the virus.  There’s nothing we can do about that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
16 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Whilst this topic started off as a discussion about effect on travel plans with BF, and as such was rightly in the BF discussions section of the forum, it has now become a more general discussion about the issue.  As such, I’ve moved it to its now-correct place in Open House Chatter.

In doing so, it is worth sticking in a reminder that all members are entitled to post their views of, and reactions to, this serious issue.  The facts of the seriousness of the issue are not contentious, but people are entitled to make their own decisions about how they are going to let it affect their daily lives and to express those views on here.  Expressing views that differ from your own does not make them “stupid” or “silly”.

Some people will spend the next six months doing nothing but worry, and others will get on with their lives and try to stay cheerful.  Neither course of action will make a jot of difference to the fact that, sooner or later, we will all be exposed to the virus.  There’s nothing we can do about that.

Thank god! Am doing the same with my mail filters at the moment. Now just need some workmens' earplugs for work and I can just about survive the prolonged hypersensationalisation :)

Re hand sanitisers, a check online suggests that at least 70% alcohol is desirable to kill the virus.

Dettol are on record as saying that their products shoud be effective althou

gh they have not yet had the opportunity to try them on coronavirus.

As it happens, when we had our own boat some years ago it was fitted with a spirit stove that burnt methylated spirits. It worked fine but tended to be a bit smelly in operation. On one of our BF trips at the time I noticed that French supermarkets sold cooking alcohol which is basically ethanol and meths without the smell when burnt. We bought two 5 litre containers. One went when I sold the boat but I kept the other for general purpose cleaning and still have around 4 litres left. It does pong a bit out of the container but should make an excellent wipe down cleaner to combat coronavirus.

I cannot use hand sanitisers as they bring the backs of my hands out in a stinging rash as they dry out the skin.  I have an itchy sting rash at this very moment from the bright idea to use some liquid Carex hand wash I decided to buy weeks ago and have only just used it for the first time this afternoon, guess what, backs of hands are stinging...😡  Need to find a non drying one.

8 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I cannot use hand sanitisers as they bring the backs of my hands out in a stinging rash as they dry out the skin.  I have an itchy sting rash at this very moment from the bright idea to use some liquid Carex hand wash I decided to buy weeks ago and have only just used it for the first time this afternoon, guess what, backs of hands are stinging...😡  Need to find a non drying one.

You need to keep away from the stuff which has polyquatertium 7 or Methylisothiazolinone (M.I.T.) in it. They are usually the biggest cause of skin allergy concerning cleansers, lotions and detergents. high prices of named brands don't mean quality either. The likes of Jo Malone & L'occitane use some of the cheapest and poorest base liquids around.

Lidl's Cien range is good so too is one of the Aldi ranges. 

I spent a few grand researching and creating a base liquid in 2014 which was given full INCI approval which I then marketed on line for a year until supply couldn't meet demand. I sold the base liquid to Stephensons who produce detergent bases in Leeds and now it can be bought without a fragrance wholesale in as little as 1 litre volumes from the likes of the soap kitchen in Devon. The base liquid is also used by a new French company named Horace.

I suffer quite badly from Psoriatic Arthropathy and can't use 99% of high street products so I make my own. I also import olive oil based soap from Spain which is sold wholesale.

• Thanks 1