Never mind your PG Tips, chocolate biscuits,etc. I'm down to my last three 5 litre red wine boxes and may need to break into my bottle cellar soon. Given the price of booze here in the Irish Republic I may have to go teetotal.

Can't wait to hitch up the trailer and head for Langedoc Roussillon but may not be unto September or beyond.

I have just had a wonderful surprise, small things make all the difference.  Just been to get my papers from Tesco Express and the COSTA COFFEE MACHINE Is operating.  Because of the coffeeshops being closed not been able to access a morning latte, and Tesco unplugged that machine with a flippin notice to say it was “unavailable” at the moment.  So how nice to see a manager fiddling with it this morning and on asking he said that yes indeed they had switched it back on again.  So I bought one and carried it back home - bliss.  Costa isn’t my first choice, I prefer Starbucks, but any port in a storm!!  And I found out that a service station near me has a Starbucks machine so guess where I might take a stroll later..😉👍

1 hour ago, BigDW1946 said:

Can't wait to hitch up the trailer and head for Langedoc Roussillon but may not be unto September or beyond

I have two 80 count boxes of Barry's tea bags stashed in that area . 

This is a quite chilling Tweet which shows the actual death figures  are likely to be.

And by comparison under 20 Covid related deaths so far in New Zealand and under 100 in Australia .  

Southern hemisphere is about to face it full on though, isn’t it.  They’re now in mid-Autumn heading into what will probably be a torrid winter.  Just at the time when the virus is at peak potency, with over 30 mutations, and no vaccine yet.  Northern hemisphere, on the other hand, is now heading into summer and a probable temporary respite.  The hope that there is some sort of vaccine by the time we next head into winter is our saving grace.  I’m aware that the medical profession has significant fears about what countries like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina are about to face.

Il Presidente Macaroni is going to visit the spaghetti farmers at St Pol de Léon today. Invited by the outgoing and incoming mayors, ostensibly regarding their joint letter concerning cancelling the local government elections. Just a coincidence that he is going to the home of BF?

37 minutes ago, colin said:

Just a coincidence that he is going to the home of BF?

Are we expecting a rebranding to "Bercy Ferries" later today? 😉 Ed. 

49 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Southern hemisphere is about to face it full on though, isn’t it.  They’re now in mid-Autumn heading into what will probably be a torrid winter.  Just at the time when the virus is at peak potency, with over 30 mutations, and no vaccine yet.  Northern hemisphere, on the other hand, is now heading into summer and a probable temporary respite.  The hope that there is some sort of vaccine by the time we next head into winter is our saving grace.  I’m aware that the medical profession has significant fears about what countries like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina are about to face.

The university of Sydney doesn’t seem to think that it will get the same percentage of cases as the Uk , https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/06/new-coronavirus-cases-in-australia-could-number-almost-zero-by-july-modelling-suggests

10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Are we expecting a rebranding to "Bercy Ferries" later today? 😉 Ed. 

The mayor (outgoing I think) does mention hoping to have time to discuss several subjects, including BF. Macron is visiting a farm and a Super U. What is the likelihood the farm is involved in BF one way or another, and that one or two other local farmers such as Jean-Marc Roué might be around....?

And.... the name of one of the farmers he is visiting right now? Yes, Jean-Marc Roué....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There were suggestions here that when the lockdown is eased (not totally abandonned) in May, inter-regional travel will still be limited until at least mid-June so as to avoid large numbers of people going away for the Asscension and Pentecost weekends. Ed

The French finance minister has said that any 'French' companies with their head-offices in offshore tax-havens will be ineligible for financial support during the crisis. Have the UK authorities made any similar announcements? I wonder how many Topshop scarves it takes to make a hangman's noose? Ed. 

12 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The French finance minister has said that any 'French' companies with their head-offices in offshore tax-havens will be ineligible for financial support during the crisis. Have the UK authorities made any similar announcements?  

😂 that’s given me the biggest laugh of this thread 😂

• Like 1

This is from the BBC website.

I wonder if she needs a live-in nurse for the two weeks! 

-----

Finland's PM in virus isolation

Tom Bateman

BBC News, in Helsinki

image.gif.3a9f71f251fc93d9ad2a7246344a665e.gif
EPACopyright: EPA
Ms Marin appeared at a government press conference yesterdayImage caption: Ms Marin appeared at a government press conference yesterday

Finland's Prime Minister Sanna Marin is self-isolating after a person working at her official residence came into close contact with a confirmed coronavirus case.

An official statement from her office said the prime minister had been tested for the virus and was showing no symptoms.

The 34-year old gained worldwide attention after she became the world's youngest sitting head of government, taking office in December last year.

------

Ed

11 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

😂 that’s given me the biggest laugh of this thread 😂

That will be unfortunate for the French employees of those companies if as a consequence they become unemployed

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

That will be unfortunate for the French employees of those companies if as a consequence they become unemployed

Tax avoidance has multiple unfortunate consequences , we should reinvest the money in finding employment for those unfortunate people with more ethical responsible companies , we all know your views on tax havens as much as my contempt for them we don’t have to continually bore the other forum members with them.

30 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Tax avoidance has multiple unfortunate consequences , we should reinvest the money in finding employment for those unfortunate people with more ethical responsible companies , we all know your views on tax havens as much as my contempt for them we don’t have to continually bore the other forum members with them.

Well I have mentioned this before - the UK is actually a Tax Haven compared to many other countries and it can be a viable proposition to incorporate a Company in the UK but trade elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Well I have mentioned this before - the UK is actually a Tax Haven compared to many other countries and it can be a viable proposition to incorporate a Company in the UK but trade elsewhere.

You’ve commented on that plenty of times but neglected to mention how the state aid to bail out these companies will be funded which of course is through taxation.

5 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

You’ve commented on that plenty of times but neglected to mention how the state aid to bail out these companies will be funded which of course is through taxation.

Fortunately it is not mine or your recommendations or advice that will have any influence of the present Governments strategies or indeed Tax Laws but like my mother used to say "time will tell" 

2 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Fortunately it is not mine or your recommendations or advice that will have any influence of the present Governments strategies or indeed Tax Laws but like my mother used to say "time will tell" 

Well I certainly have a say as I voted for a party that promised to raise taxes as I see the advantage that paying tax provides.

3 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Well I certainly have a say as I voted for a party that promised to raise taxes as I see the advantage that paying tax provides.

but the Conservatives won again?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

but the Conservatives won again?

I still pay more tax as a result of my vote .

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

There needs to be a time of reckoning when this is over, the Government needs to keep as many employed as possible, hence Mr Branson holding a gun to them saying give us money or we close down.  The pay off will have to be pay taxes here or we'll take a share in your company to cover the money we put in.

• Like 3