3 minutes ago, wortley said:

Ending lockdown...I see a statement today from the French Prime Minister's office that from May 11 th French citizens will be allowed to travel freely for any reason for a distance up to 100km.  of their home. Here in the UK we are still waiting for some sort of plan. 

That's one of the restrictions due to be lifted on the same date, providing infection rates and hospital capacity statistics meet certain targets. Ed. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wortley said:

Ending lockdown...I see a statement today from the French Prime Minister's office that from May 11 th French citizens will be allowed to travel freely for any reason for a distance up to 100km.  of their home. Here in the UK we are still waiting for some sort of plan. 

Some of us aren’t 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-framework-decision-making/

Here is the first traffic-light map, published last night and due to be updated daily I believe, to show the status of each French department and which will form the basis of decisions taken in the weeks and months to come. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.leparisien.fr/amp/societe/coronavirus-votre-departement-est-il-en-vert-orange-ou-rouge-voici-la-carte-de-france-du-deconfinement-30-04-2020-8308836.php&ved=2ahUKEwiagpfTipLpAhWJz4UKHeozDn4QFjAMegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2qVj6IQsjTy_ZFlMWxEbH2&ampcf=1

Ed

We now know the proposal from the FFV (sailing federation) to the French government.

Asking for beach areas dedicated to boating, surfing etc activities.

Sailing schools to open to small school groups etc, emphasis on single handed activities, social distancing, barrier gestures etc.

July, sailing schools and clubs can open to tourists, but restrictions largely as before.

No competitions or regattas before August, and even then, should focus on local people rather than a wider entry.

Request to clubs not to push events back into latter part of calendar which is already full of events.

• Like 2

Grumbles from Lot, Cher and Haute Corse who are indignant about current red status. Government has made clear that the situation in each department is under constant review and what will count will be the run up to 11th May.

I just used the Calcmaps website to work out where the 100km limit around my house takes us. And where I might actually want to go.

I could, if the mood took me, visit the outskirts of Rennes but not within a mile of the ringroad. Nantes is within reach, as is Cholet,  La Roche sur Yon, Bressuire, Saumur, the suburbs of Le Mans, Laval, Vitre and that's about the lot. 

I did however discover that there is a beach within the approved radius at La Bernerie-en-Retz. So I'm planning to go and put my towel down at just after midnight on the 11th of May, with a little English flag, surrounded by rolls of razor-wire and probably a deep trench. 😀 

Ed. 

• Haha 3

In theory my range includes Jersey, only not by road ....

30 minutes ago, colin said:

In theory my range includes Jersey, only not by road ....

Fancy a house-swap? I can throw in two cats, a terrapin and around 30 goldfish to sweeten the deal? Ed. 

22 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Fancy a house-swap? I can throw in two cats, a terrapin and around 30 goldfish to sweeten the deal? Ed. 

You would have to cope with three and a half cats here....

17 minutes ago, colin said:

You would have to cope with three and a half cats here....

How many do you want back at the end?

Is it 100km by road or as the crow flies? Ed. 

Three would be fine.... The half is wild and can look after herself. She just worked out that we are all cool here and nice to her. Turns up when hungry, very sweet nature really, but does not like to be touched.

Good question on defining the distance.

The reason I ask is if they were to relax further the limit to perhaps 200km in July/August that would put me within range of Quiberon and Lingreville in Normandy so we could go and use the family houses while still avoiding contact with large numbers of people. But if it's calculated by road kilometres then both are tricky even using the most direct country lanes. Ed. 

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The reason I ask is if they were to relax further the limit to perhaps 200km in July/August that would put me within range of Quiberon and Lingreville in Normandy so we could go and use the family houses while still avoiding contact with large numbers of people. But if it's calculated by road kilometres then both are tricky even using the most direct country lanes. Ed. 

Be optimistic 

If they did that in the U.K. I could reach Scarborough and the excellent fresh doughnuts on the seafront. Yippee!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonno said:

If they did that in the U.K. I could reach Scarborough and the excellent fresh doughnuts on the seafront. Yippee!

Fish n chips in Eyemouth for me then up to North Berwick and a stroll along the beach.

• Like 1

Does anyone in France have definitive info as to when the borders will be open. We've seen October but not sure if this is for non-EU traffic and they might open earlier for EU folk like us in the Irish Republic. 

38 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Does anyone in France have definitive info as to when the borders will be open. We've seen October but not sure if this is for non-EU traffic and they might open earlier for EU folk like us in the Irish Republic. 

I think it's far too early to say for now.

We are being drip-fed information by the govrnment and each time a new date for further details is given.

For the moment we know the lockdown will ease on 11 May (unless the virus flares up again nationwide) and even then the changes may be local rather than national.

A further review is due at the end of May to determine what other sectors of the economy can reopen in June.

They are also expected to announce summer holiday restrictions at that point if all the indicators are positive.

I get the feeling it's being done that way to ensure compliance with the current rules. 'Do what we say now and we'll allow you to do more later'.

If there is massive abuse of the new freedom after 11 May, and infection rates soar, then June, July and August are likely to be 'cancelled' giving the government another 3-month period to get on top of the epidemic before everyone returns to work and school in September.

Therefore, what the situation is in October is anyone's guess. We have been clearly told not to expect to be able to travel outside France for holidays for the foreseeable future.

Ed

The simple answer to BigDW's question is - no.

Neither France nor most other countries are going to stick pins in a calendar when so many uncertainties remain. Restrictions will be progressively eased, so long as the indicators continue downwards. With countries working to different systems, I would, for example, not expect much easing for UK travellers to France and the rest of Europe unless and until more credible checks and controls are carried out on people coming into the UK from elsewhere. Currently far more passenger traffic enters UK than France, and virtually no checks are carried out at point of entry, nor really thereafter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

The French health minister says that he, personally, would not buy a plane ticket for this year's summer holiday. 

https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/olivier-veran-pour-cet-ete-je-ne-m-engagerais-pas-sur-l-achat-d-un-billet-d-avion-1906376.html

Of course, that might be because he's only been in the job since February and hasn't yet cumulated enough paid holiday rights! 😉

Ed

Do ministers ever pay for a ticket for anything?