KenTownley

Corona virus

You can trust the common sense of the wonderful British public. I must be true, cos Boris said it. And anyone who says otherwise is the enemy.

Sad.

People need the government to provide clear guidance, to lead by example and to explain policy.

5 minutes ago, colin said:

You can trust the common sense of the wonderful British public. I must be true, cos Boris said it. And anyone who says otherwise is the enemy.

Sad.

People need the government to provide clear guidance, to lead by example and to explain policy.

From what I have seen in various sources there is a bit of disquiet in the Goverment anyway about Boris and his clicky little group anyway.  Peter Bone is kicking off on C4 News about it.  Not surprised, Johnson is trying to be Churchillian, but is more like Trump. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Khaines said:

From what I have seen in various sources there is a bit of disquiet in the Goverment anyway about Boris and his clicky little group anyway.  Peter Bone is kicking off on C4 News about it.  Not surprised, Johnson is trying to be Churchillian, but is more like Trump. 

Acting like a president not a PM.

• Like 1

Is it the goal of some to dissect the guidelines in order to find fault?

Isn't it better to simply consider the intent behind them?

Me, I don't doubt that the guidelines have been produced in a way to avoid certain situations that could significantly raise the number of potential contacts whilst allowing for a relaxation of a full lockdown. In doing this the faults being trawled over ad nauseam will arise.

Isn't it better to accept the faults or is it the preference of some to stay as we were and stay at home and probably wait the best part of the next 5 years for a vaccine? COVID will never be eradicated, humans will now always get infected and some will inevitably die. That is the reality of COV viruses which have a permanent animal reservoir. Currently there are 3 of them. 

If we all stay at home and batten down the hatches the cases of Rhinovirus - the common cold - will go through the roof which will inevitably have sufferers believing they have COVID.

I can understand why some of the measures are as they are, I might like them to be different and could also waste time seeking out the faults... or I could accept that the situation we are living through, whilst not unique is one many of us haven't faced before in our lifetime, and place my trust in our collective efforts to responsibly manage the situation.

What's that saying again, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

...and god forbid we ever have a government that provides clear guidance, led by example and explained policy because some of our forum members would then have far less to talk about,  no one to criticise and no one to blame. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jonno said:

What's that saying again, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

...and god forbid we ever have a government that provides clear guidance, led by example and explained policy because some of our forum members would then have far less to talk about,  no one to criticise and no one to blame. 

To be part of the solution, it helps to understand the plan? But, yes, you are right in many ways, including a desire to debate, criticise and even attribute blame. The buck stops somewhere I guess.

Here in France, we have an unintentional cockup over beaches, marinas, slipways and boating activities. Slightly contradictory texts sowed confusion and boy did it go wild on social media... Here there are no sacred cows, even good ideas are vigorously debated. Is that altogether a bad thing?

I am not a great fan of falling in line behind something I do not think is being properly explained, and where much evidence of playing fast and loose with statistics is rife.

However, I respect everyone's opinion!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, colin said:

Here in France, we have an unintentional cockup

Whereas normally we have intentional cockups just to see if people are paying attention. 

Ed

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, jonno said:

Is it the goal of some to dissect the guidelines in order to find fault?

Isn't it better to simply consider the intent behind them?

Me, I don't doubt that the guidelines have been produced in a way to avoid certain situations that could significantly raise the number of potential contacts whilst allowing for a relaxation of a full lockdown. In doing this the faults being trawled over ad nauseam will arise.

Isn't it better to accept the faults or is it the preference of some to stay as we were and stay at home and probably wait the best part of the next 5 years for a vaccine? COVID will never be eradicated, humans will now always get infected and some will inevitably die. That is the reality of COV viruses which have a permanent animal reservoir. Currently there are 3 of them. 

If we all stay at home and batten down the hatches the cases of Rhinovirus - the common cold - will go through the roof which will inevitably have sufferers believing they have COVID.

I can understand why some of the measures are as they are, I might like them to be different and could also waste time seeking out the faults... or I could accept that the situation we are living through, whilst not unique is one many of us haven't faced before in our lifetime, and place my trust in our collective efforts to responsibly manage the situation.

Broadly agree with you Jonno. And I also the think the policy of a very slow/cautious unlock is also about right.

Unfortunately the Government haven’t helped themselves with their cack handed  presentation/delivery.

If you’re a citizen of the country that has one of the highest death rates in the world from Covid 19 then you are part of the problem if you don’t look at why that has happened as @colin says “the buck stops some where”.

No, you just stop using the comparison slides you have shown at every briefing for 7 weeks.... Hancock got a stroppy letter from the head honcho of the ONS a few days back over his messing with testing statistics and selectively choosing to fuzzy over the differences between tests done and tests available etc.

But don't worry, the ordinary citizen will be to blame from now on....

• Like 1

Today, I went for a ‘once in 10 days or so’ shop.  Hyper of choice, which is a little way away.  Mrs G stayed at home in order to minimise risk.

First, traffic on the road was as busy as pre-CV.   Second, the hyper was much busier than normal for early / midweek (when we normally shop).  No obvious stock outages.  Customers circulating were being very sensible re distancing.

At the checkout, it was a bit slower because you had to wait until the adjacent customer had cleared through and paid, before you could load your stuff on to the belt (does that make sense?)  Anyway, the point is that, whilst slower, it was prudent and everybody was complying.

There are things that I deprecate about living in France, but many also that I love.  Over all of this, down here it has been sensibly managed.  Our weekly market will re-open on Friday, all be it with some restrictions.

Just speaking about how it is here - sorry that so many of you aren’t going to be able to get over.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, colin said:

Here in France, we have an unintentional cockup over beaches, marinas, slipways and boating activities. Slightly contradictory texts sowed confusion and boy did it go wild on social media... Here there are no sacred cows, even good ideas are vigorously debated. Is that altogether a bad thing?

I am not a great fan of falling in line behind something I do not think is being properly explained, and where much evidence of playing fast and loose with statistics is rife.

However, I respect everyone's opinion!

I’m not a great believer in a persons new plan when their previous plan has resulted in the highest death rates in the world , I don’t need to seek out  faults with the new plan they are blindingly obvious if the R rate went up in Germany then it’s bound to go up in England substantially, anyway I’m sure there will be a new government slide with a graph to prove me wrong , luckily the guys I support are all still well not even a cold and they’ve not left their home for 10 weeks now.

I have no idea which countries have the highest death rates from CV19 (has anyone seen any meaningfully comparable statistics on that?), but logically I would expect them to be the countries in which the highest proportions of the population are in the most susceptible categories.  I did read one report that indicated that on paper, in Europe, Belgium had the highest rate, but that same report (from the Guardian) cast doubt on the validity of comparison of any of the statistics that are available.  So I think all of us should be very careful when making glib claims based on statistics.  It is understandable that people of all countries want to hold their governments to account, but we should not forget that, fundamentally, CV19 is a natural disaster over which national governments have had very little control.  In the circumstances, I think they’ve all done pretty well and they’ve all made some mistakes.  I don’t envy those that are in positions of national leadership at the moment, a jot.

• Like 3

Going by that theory @Gareth Japan would have one of the highest death rates it actually has one of the lowest.

I'm afraid that I share the doubts that this Government is handling the situation as well as they might and that erodes their credibility. I will happily accept dictates that reflect commonsense to reduce infections and the spread of the virus but when the differnt nations in the UK start going their own ways it just undermines everything and demonstrates that politics is having an increasing influence on policy. Our current leaders don't exactly inspire confidence and their 'science' which they keep quoting doesn't seem to be as widely based as it might be and is frequently contradicted both in the UK and other counries which are operating on their own agendas such as opening up tourism to save their economies.

So what's a soul to do?

The  balletic social distancing for outdoors sits brutally with the reality of travelling on the London Underground but both are Government policy.

To me it is simple. Stay 2 metres away from anyone outide your household in all situations and wash your hands if you might have inadvertently touched something on which the virus might lurk. If you can't do that then inevitably you will be at risk to some extent.

• Like 2

I see the problem here on reporting is simply that it is assumed (by many) you believe all the different worlds/countries reports and statistics. It is Political - we know that - I don't believe half of what I read.... but hey - it will all come out in the wash ......

15 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

I see the problem here on reporting is simply that it is assumed (by many) you believe all the different worlds/countries reports and statistics. It is Political - we know that - I don't believe half of what I read.... but hey - it will all come out in the wash ......

Maybe there are loads more deaths in New Zealand or Japan than is being reported or less in Brazil, maybe it’s all fake news.

On a positive note it’s great to see so many cyclists out and about that being a permanent change might be one of the few benefits of this virus.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Maybe there are loads more deaths in New Zealand or Japan than is being reported or less in Brazil, maybe it’s all fake news.

Yep - I agree with that - maybe it is but as I have said before - time will tell 😎

Various beaches in France have now reopened but, as I said a few days ago, you are not allowed to stop moving once on the sand. Strolling, jogging, skipping, sprinting or doing silly walks are all allowed but only in one direction. Whether that direction changes each day is not yet clear. Ed. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

We live in Surrey - Mamils are a local pest!

Give me your address I will wave when I cycle past your house 😉😂

Give me your address I will wave when I cycle past your house

And I will stick my hiking pole through your spokes. 😆

• Haha 1

Taking this thread wildly off topic but hopefully soothing the tone these pictures were taken while out cycling in Saddleworth last Friday morning.

I’ll accept my punishment Gareth. 

4444F14F-4B76-4DB6-B695-D86DD0D84AEE.jpeg

D812820C-FEB0-426E-93B8-B80690D5B173.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1