KenTownley

Corona virus

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I had to check twice but yes it really is a tweet from the president of the most powerful country in the world.

Someone has been hitting the Dettol hard again...

• Haha 3

How are the Government supposed to get it right.  This morning on the radio worries that women are having to stay home and look after the children, as it's mostly men that have gone back to work, construction etc, they said there needs to be childcare in place but when the Government says about opening Schools they get shot at from all sides.  People need to make their minds up do they all want to get back to work equally?  If so the Schools have to open.

Seeing as BF's update was a bit dull I'll give you a pool update. This morning I bought a pool heating mat, plumbed it in to the filtration circuit and let it do its job. Result? 23 degrees this afternoon in the water. I went in and it was great. With the beautiful weather expected this week, it might well get even hotter. Ed. 

DSC_0301.JPG

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Good news doesn't sell newspapers.

There is a webcam of a small town in Galicia which I like to visit that has started to open up again. The Bars are open and there is a market in full swing at the moment. In the evening kids are running around with bikes and scooters. This is in my opinion a positive sign. Social distancing seems to be being followed with no sign of enforcement. So lets try to be positive and not let this virus spoil our lives. Bad news is easy to find   

• Like 4

On 18/05/2020 at 08:20, neilcvx said:

Norway to shut their Borders until  August the 20th.

In Norway a few years ago all the campsites shut on August 30th because it was the end of the season!

34 minutes ago, IanN said:

Good news doesn't sell newspapers.

There is a webcam of a small town in Galicia which I like to visit that has started to open up again. The Bars are open and there is a market in full swing at the moment. In the evening kids are running around with bikes and scooters. This is in my opinion a positive sign. Social distancing seems to be being followed with no sign of enforcement. So lets try to be positive and not let this virus spoil our lives. Bad news is easy to find   

I like sharing and reading facts about what’s happening , I’m not so keen on being told what to think and to be positive I like to be realistic, each to their own though , I’m not really bothered about what sells papers but when an expert like the one in the article it’s more reliable than a village webcam.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

In Norway a few years ago all the campsites shut on August 30th because it was the end of the season!

I see you edited the quote to leave the article I was referring to out of it .

It’s worth remembering that there’s nothing stopping folk posting positive news stories on here as well as what some perceive as “bad news” a good news story? how about the study at Stirling university funded by the Scottish government  that’s looking into how pubs come re open .

https://www.stir.ac.uk/news/2020/05/new-study-examines-lifting-of-pub-and-nightclub-restrictions/

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I like sharing and reading facts about what’s happening , I’m not so keen on being told what to think and to be positive I like to be realistic, each to their own though , I’m not really bothered about what sells papers but when an expert like the one in the article it’s more reliable than a village webcam.

The point I was hoping to make is that some communities are starting to get back to a semblance of normality. I never suggested that a webcam is more reliable than an expert.

I can find bad news all over the media without trying. No need for others to point it out. Your opinion of the article would have made interesting reading not just a link.

• Thanks 1

I found the article pretty balanced and it wasn’t hysterical. She was pointing out the dangers ahead but was by no means saying they were inevitable.

The news is certainly looking better than a few days ago regarding the numbers becoming infected. 
I also believe the Government is right to resist the growing calls for a mass unlock and to take things slowly, unfortunately there are also signs that the population are starting move things along faster than the authorities want.

• Like 3

I think Ireland's 1974 decision should be applied nationwide, no, sod it, worldwide.

538592906_Ireland12pintdrivinglimit.thumb.jpeg.4194b3bc0c176d1c2c2e9668bd9befeb.jpeg

Or am I being a little hasty?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, neilcvx said:

She knows her stuff does Dr Ammon and in line with other experts says the virus will be here a very long time and won't go away until we have a vaccine. All of the EU countries are bracing for a potential 2nd wave, it's why private healthcare across Europe is still under gvt control and why the U.K still retains the Nightingales and it take roughly two weeks after some measures are lifted to see how the virus reacts.

It's interesting how other European media outlets are reporting this, unlike the U.K where the Guardian are saying Should and the daily Mail say Will, the Baltic States, Germans & Scandinavians are reporting more uncertainty in their headlines.

Truth is they don't know, they've never been in this position before so they need to watch and wait. So far, after countries have lifted components of their specific lockdown there has been no real increase and Dr Ammon herself mentions that it may never come, the measures that remain in place could be sufficient.

Dr Ammon is one of the experts who says non surgical masks give people a false sense of security and there's really no evidence to suggest they reduce the risk of infection, she's also cautioned against classifying any governments performance during the pandemic by the national death toll and advocates that testing is key to recording a bigger picture as it's binary, a yes or no outcome. She was one of the authors and main voices behind the onset of population based surveys which have now begun across Europe since the beginning of May.

Did a good speech last year at ESCAIDE, we were both due to go Warsaw this year, I'm the bag carrier, but I think it's online now.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, jonno said:

and it take roughly two weeks after some measures are lifted to see how the virus reacts.

We'll be at that stage in France early next week and by the 1st June, after another long weekend, the government should be able to give go/no-go advice regarding holidays etc. Ed  

Not wanting to go over old ground about masks but for every scientist that says wearing them is of no benefit there’s at least one that says it’s a benefit , it seems it’s all about which scientist an individual believes is worthy of their endorsement and if they are worthy they are wrong fact is if you’re planning going anywhere abroad on holiday you will have a mask on.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/21/scientists-join-calls-for-uk-public-to-wear-homemade-face-masks-outdoors?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Whilst I agree that testing is vital, so is accurate recording. How can UK "do" over 170,000 tests in a day and yet only test just over 60,000 people?

Trump of course trumpets test numbers as a measure of success whilst glossing over cases and deaths for entirely political reasons. It is that sort of selective use of numbers and the lack of genuine care, that worry me.

Public opinions on masks are divided. Yes, they can encourage complacency, but they are also a statement of awareness. On the pure medical front I have not seen a reliable report saying wearing a mask harms you. When I witness the disrespect of distancing and other barrier actions, I wish more people wore masks.

Not arguing with science or facts, but interpretation and application are an entire subsequent question.

And the worst is selecting the facts to quote to support an opinion. Trump is a master.

• Like 2

It could be the case that if masks offer limited protection only, the Government feels their time and resources, which lets face must be stretched at the moment, is better spent on other measures. Contact tracing is certainly one area they need to get right.

I agree Nick. Two reasons for trying to reduce public clamour for masks. When the epidemic hit, France, UK and many other countries had drastically reduced, or never built up stocks, so every mask was needed at the front line, and history will judge all of this. The second reason, a little wrapped up in the first, is the need to make sure front line and potentially exposed people are equipped and protected. Even on this many countries have managed distribution badly, mainly through poor preparation and not heeding scientific reports carried out in their own countries.

I'm not dismissing the use of masks, i'll wear my own when appropriate but if Germany can sell a quality EN type II mask in vending machines at all of their railway & bus stations and have been doing so for a few weeks now, surely it's possible across Europe. Most of us have steered clear of the questionable hand sanitisers cropping up all over the place which haven't been lab tested, why should we look at masks any differently? Together with good hand washing, they all go together to create a protective barrier.

I deliver prescriptions and meals of a morning and haven't been advised once to wear anything, it was my missus who said to me "gloves, mask, sanitiser or else sunshine".

Since the lock down I haven't seen one shop worker in a mask or gloves nor do I see them giving a spray or wipe to card readers between customers, has anyone else? Home delivery of any kind, apart from leaving it at the door and ringing the bell, are they handling our goods any differently, especially as they are consistently in and out of cold and ambient temperatures? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jonno said:

Since the lock down I haven't seen one shop worker in a mask or gloves

Over here, all the supermarket checkout workers in out town have masks and visors. My wife has also been issued with the same kit to teach the kids at her school. All my Flashdance/female welder fantasies have resurfaced. Ed

• Haha 2