Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Obviously, yes but what's the liklihood that a virus' moisture evaporates off and it enters a dormant state on a specific surface? Can the molecules subsequently be solubilised and regain their previous virulent form? Ed. 

I have it on high virologist authority that it has a 4 hour lifespan on any surface.

Ed, something else which I failed to to remember, it's not an influenza virus... it's a mutated common cold virus hence Corona.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Thanks everyone! 5 hours in theatre, all done. They misrouted the catheter and can't get a new one in. Pray I manage to pee before 10pm or the stick a pronged tube through my stomach.

Posted Images

Thanks. I've read various articles stating a lifespan of between 3 and 9 hours depending on the type of surface and surrounding environmental factors. The authorities also seem to be advising people to use contactless card payments wherever possible to avoid handling bank notes as they may be partly responsible for the virus' spread. Ed. 

When you think of coins - how many hands have they passed through.  Watched BBC Breakfast this morning and quite a common sense approach on a feature they did on corona virus.   Phones came out as the dirtiest as they are placed on loads of surfaces, and then put to the face.  Coins pass through crikey knows how many hands every day.  

Interesting to see if it get a lot worse what impact it is going to have on brittany ferries?when you read about these cruise ferries get stopped on docking and other ships in quarantine,looking at the news new cases are springing up at a alarming rate it makes you wonder how long before it effect travelling on any form of transport in large numbers.i know people are saying more people die with the flu and if that is the case,why is the world health organisation getting worried about this virus?did not want to spoil anyone's plans to go on holiday but to me it looks like it could End up with a lockdown Ie planes,ferries,buses .just hope Iam wrong on all of this.

• Sad 1

Nodwad, the number of threads on this topic now seems to be increasing faster than the actual virus itself (until the Mods merged your new one with the existing one). As a potential super-spreader I think you should probably self-isolate for a couple of weeks just to be on the safe side. Ed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, nodwad said:

Interesting to see if it get a lot worse what impact it is going to have on brittany ferries?

As I mentioned before, my daughter’s Lycée group’s trip to England has now been put on hold until the autumn term. BF were very understanding when she phoned them on Monday, as was everyone the English end. With all school trips from France cancelled, and probably others not wanting to travel at present, it must already be having a negative impact upon BF, and indeed, the whole French tourism industry, with all the strikes and Gilets Jaunes already having adversely affected the industry 

The most recent figures I can find suggest a 30-40% drop in tourist numbers expected for the year. I doubt they really have any idea of how high the final figure will be as nobody can predict how long the effective shutdown will last. Some countries are likely to get a slight boost in domestic tourism if other countries refuse access to their territory. Therefore a country which normally has more tourism departures than arrivals might actually benefit in the short term. Having said that I can't see any country coming out of this totally unscathed. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.boursorama.com/actualite-economique/actualites-amp/impact-economique-du-coronavirus-en-france-30-a-40-de-touristes-en-moins-selon-bruno-le-maire-504de8122657272a3ca633d661b57d5c&ved=2ahUKEwiK_8baoIToAhVBUxoKHb38CcgQFjASegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw0GWzb_XYeeFOuIrkIvCxPo&ampcf=1

Ed

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

The most recent figures I can find suggest a 30-40% drop in tourist numbers expected for the year. I doubt they really have any idea of how high the final figure will be as nobody can predict how long the effective shutdown will last. Some countries are likely to get a slight boost in domestic tourism if other countries refuse access to their territory. Therefore a country which normally has more tourism departures than arrivals might actually benefit in the short term. Having said that I can't see any country coming out of this totally unscathed. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.boursorama.com/actualite-economique/actualites-amp/impact-economique-du-coronavirus-en-france-30-a-40-de-touristes-en-moins-selon-bruno-le-maire-504de8122657272a3ca633d661b57d5c&ved=2ahUKEwiK_8baoIToAhVBUxoKHb38CcgQFjASegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw0GWzb_XYeeFOuIrkIvCxPo&ampcf=1

Ed

We have a holiday booked in April and are still happy to travel if it's practicable.

• Like 1

No one has a pre-existing immunity to it.  But the majority of people who catch it will develop an immunity when their immune system fights it off.  Some will become ill in that process, some won’t.  What makes you think some people think they have a pre-existing immunity? (Don’t quite follow the thinking behind the question).

• Like 1
Just now, The Ferry Man said:

Isn't that a general risk taken with any holiday though?

I can only assume that wortley is operating under the assumption that travelling to France puts you at greater risk of contracting the virus than not doing so.  I don’t follow that logic.

• Like 2

Gareth, I am in the category where one in five of those infected with this virus will die.

It would be very tiresome for one of my children to have to go across to France to bring a car and a corpse back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More wise words from our President (source: BBC):

"'Avoid visiting elderly relatives' - Macron

On Friday, the French president called on people in France to limit trips to homes for the elderly.

"We must avoid visiting our elderly relatives as much as possible," Emmanuel Macron said on a visit to a retirement home in Paris.

He also warned that that the coronavirus epidemic will last for weeks."

His wife is going to miss him!

Ed

• Haha 4

Crews aboard GNV's Rhapsody, Splendid and Majestic are currently in isolation following a passenger on board the Rhapsody testing positive and crew members from her then transferring to other ships. The Majestic at least was in for scheduled maintenance but all three ships are out of service now with the Rhapsody in the dedicated quarantine area of Genoa's shipyards (although GNV insist the ship herself isn't quarantined).

The opportunity for a deep clean on some of their ships might be a bit of a silver lining, regardless of the unfortunate circumstances although my booking on the Majestic in 10 days time is looking a bit doubtful.

Edited by hhvferry
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I (both in our mid-Seventies) are booked for mid-April sailing Portsmouth - Bilbao for our usual Spring caravan trip to the Spanish Med. Normally our first few nights in Spain are spent at a camping/caravan site in the lovely little town of Haro (Rioja region) prior to heading across to the Med.  Was startled to read yesterday that Haro is the centre of an outbreak and movements in the town will be restricted.  Looks like I will now have to reroute and head for an overnight stop to Zaragoza instead.  

Interesting to read in the link from G4rth that:-

For example, the company confirms that all areas of the ship, including cabins, restaurants and bars, are supplied by fresh air only. 

I never realised that the cabin window could be opened... ;)

How is 'fresh air' supplied to the cabins etc? On passenger aircraft cabin air is put through HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) Filters which remove dust, allergens, bacteria, viruses and other irritating particles from the air. 

59 minutes ago, Eriba-ist said:

How is 'fresh air' supplied to the cabins etc? On passenger aircraft cabin air is put through HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) Filters which remove dust, allergens, bacteria, viruses and other irritating particles from the air. 

They obviously draw air from outside, hopefully away from any vents, and not recycle the air inside the ship.

1 hour ago, Eriba-ist said:

On passenger aircraft cabin air is put through HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) Filters which remove dust, allergens, bacteria, viruses and other irritating particles from the air. 

Its the number of times per hour the air is cleaned which is important. Airlines do as few cycles as they can.

And when visiting the kennels in the early hours of the morning there's a fabulous aroma coming from the galley extraction fans of freshly baked breakfast pastries , nothing wrong with that type of air .