KenTownley

Corona virus

29 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Our local recycling centre is opening on June 1st with a 5 bag limit policy and an odd and even number plate system on alternate days.

Our council is allowing only black bags (maximum of 20) and cardboard initially and it is going to be madness. They aren't doing prebooking or placing restrictions such as the number plate odd/even number one. They are also requiring that anyone entering the site provides photographic id and a recent utility bill as proof of residency. We moved house at the beginning of February so have a lot of cardboard to get rid of but I will not be rushing as we have a mattress and other stuff to go to the dump and I would rather make one trip once things calm down.

Without reopening all the other aspects of the effectiveness of masks, I ask myself whether I would rather someone, physically close to me, perhaps even in a confined space who coughed or sneezed, was wearing a mask or not?

21 minutes ago, elaine80 said:

Our council is allowing only black bags (maximum of 20) and cardboard initially and it is going to be madness. They aren't doing prebooking or placing restrictions such as the number plate odd/even number one. They are also requiring that anyone entering the site provides photographic id and a recent utility bill as proof of residency. We moved house at the beginning of February so have a lot of cardboard to get rid of but I will not be rushing as we have a mattress and other stuff to go to the dump and I would rather make one trip once things calm down.

They also have a live tracking system so you can go on the council website to see how long you would have to wait , it’s only general or garden waste to start with and no help from the council staff which amused me as they never helped anyway , we don’t have the residence requirements probably as it’s so rural.

19 minutes ago, colin said:

Without reopening all the other aspects of the effectiveness of masks, I ask myself whether I would rather someone, physically close to me, perhaps even in a confined space who coughed or sneezed, was wearing a mask or not?

I would rather they were wearing one.

22 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'm going to come to Scotland, accept the 14 days of quarantine, explain I have no house to go to and ask to be put up in a stately home for the duration. I shall find a way to kill time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-52768845

Ed

The Mrs brought 20 home yesterday NHS Scotland got thousands from Cadbury’s . This place do?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-83387087.html 

Edited by neilcvx

Guernsey is opening up more on the 30th. No new cases for 22 days but island borders remain closed.

Screenshot_20200522-143839_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Nick Hyde
  • Like 1

Getting your hair cut in France now involves studying a poster on the door of the salon, paying two euros more for a plastic bag containing a sterilised gown, a disposable paper towel for your neck and an information sheet and disinfecting your hands on arrival. You are asked to clamp your mask to your face while they cut around your ears and use contactless payments if possible. Of course, the inane chat remains the same, just slightly muffled. Ed

DSC_0304.JPG

49 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Guernsey is opening up more on the 30th. No new cases for 22 days but island borders remain closed.

Screenshot_20200522-143839_Chrome.jpg

That's good news - Isle of Man similar with no new cases recently and similarly opening up hairdressers and others but no intentions of opening up borders for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Seeing various comments about Asda and how organized they appear to have been is very strange. I go to Asda for work (i work in supported living and have done for 20 years) on at least a couple of occasions a week and it is nothing like as been described here inside. The only thing is the one way system, although I would say only 50% obey it. They let people in, in batches and then stop for 2-3 minutes. but they are not letting the same amount come out to going in. Every other checkout is open, but you queue down every other aisle for that respective till. So you have a queue of people every other aisle for the tills, and people going up/down doing their shopping. Not a single member of staff with gloves/masks of any description at all. To me it is a total joke of a system they are using.

Compare to Tesco, which I use myself generally on my way home from a (24hr shift) and it is so much more organized. One customer into store at a time as one comes out of the store, so numbers are being limited properly it seems. One way system in place, but again probably only about 65% pay attention to it. 1 queue for all checkouts and they call you and tell you which till to use. Line markings on the floor all round store as well. Staff have gloves on of some description as well. Various staff have masks on as well.

It seems as though it is down to individual stores and managers, as to whether they are following guidelines or actually following procedures at all.

The only place I actually witnessed the card readers being wiped down, was at McDonalds drive thru before they shut down. Not seen it anywhere else at all by anyone.

Edit

Just regarding the locked thread about green flag. It is on their website to use app in all circumstances. Except if on motorway or in emergency situation

Edited by brianeccleston
added info

@brianeccleston it’s a lot to do with store managers the Aldi 6 miles away is a shambles and I won’t go but the one 10 miles away is a totally different and very well organised, on a side note what’s the obsession that supported living has with Asda? I’m not allowed to go anywhere else.

I visit a large Sainsbury's  weekly - quite a long distanced queue to get in at times (worst 40 mins), but the self scanners are cleaned and handed out to the queue while you wait.  One out, one in, but free to roam inside!  No problem with distancing inside, except for the few who ignore it.  My frustration is with those who want to get at the same goods as me and take an age to make their selections while I stand back waiting!!!  Been wanting to bake bread for weeks now, but cannot find dried yeast anywhere.

My frustration is with those who want to get at the same goods as me and take an age to make their selections while I stand back waiting!!! 

Got it in one there! I was stuck in our M&S Food Hall on Monday waiting for a rather myopic gentleman to decipher his (wife's?) lengthy shopping list and having great difficulty, in the meantime blocking the fish and half of the meat shelves with his parallel parked trolley. Our technique is that Mrs B heads for the Coop for general shopping and I go to M&S for some dinners and other specific items. We both know what we want, where it is, and swoop round our respective stores like vultures after which we carry away our prizes as soon as possible. (after paying for them...)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Been wanting to bake bread for weeks now, but cannot find dried yeast anywhere.

Also I read that flour has become difficult to find in the supermarkets as only 4% is supplied to them and the rest goes to the bread makers. We only have one Tesco and a few Shoprites but the lockdown has encouraged people to do home baking - Maybe have to approach the flour mills for a large supply !

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Been wanting to bake bread for weeks now, but cannot find dried yeast anywhere.

If you have a shop near you that caters to eastern Europeans Polish etc, they carry fresh and dried yeast plus a variety  of flour not normally carried in the mainstream  stores .

Edited by Chef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quoting Auntie :

So what will be required of people going into self-isolation?

• People will be expected to travel by car, where possible, and not use public transport
  • They should not leave their residence for 14 days
  • They should not go to work, school or visit public areas
  • They should not have friends or family to stay or visit, except to provide essential support
  • They should not go out to shop where they can rely on others.
  • They will be encouraged to download the NHS Covid-19 app at the border

Sort of messes things for those hoping to escape, and thinking they can promise to behave when they come back. One thing PP is good at is threatening ...

1 minute ago, colin said:

Quoting Auntie :

So what will be required of people going into self-isolation?

• People will be expected to travel by car, where possible, and not use public transport
  • They should not leave their residence for 14 days
  • They should not go to work, school or visit public areas
  • They should not have friends or family to stay or visit, except to provide essential support
  • They should not go out to shop where they can rely on others.
  • They will be encouraged to download the NHS Covid-19 app at the border

Sort of messes things for those hoping to escape, and thinking they can promise to behave when they come back. One thing PP is good at is threatening ...

Not that different to my life at the moment !

• Confused 1

Auntie again.

What about France exemption?

Asked why there's no longer a quarantine exemption for people coming to the UK from France, Priti Patel says there are "limited" ones, details of which will be published later.

57 minutes ago, Chef said:

If you have a shop near you that caters to eastern Europeans Polish etc,

If you are a fan of the Breton Galette they carry buckwheat flour .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, colin said:

Auntie again.

What about France exemption?

Asked why there's no longer a quarantine exemption for people coming to the UK from France, Priti Patel says there are "limited" ones, details of which will be published later.

She seems to be talking about French border Police and diplomats plus lorry drivers, when pressed about holidays she referred to the FCO guidance at least twice, however I am not sure that Politicians live in the real world - she also referred to not booking holidays without mentioning those that already had.

PS, if I understood her correctly she said that contravening the quarantine was a fixed penalty of £1000, not a fine up to £1000 !

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

Also I read that flour has become difficult to find in the supermarkets as only 4% is supplied to them and the rest goes to the bread makers. We only have one Tesco and a few Shoprites but the lockdown has encouraged people to do home baking - Maybe have to approach the flour mills for a large supply !

The food supply chain is so linked to known demand these days that even a small percentage uplift in sales of any commodity will cause immediate problems. Right at the start of all this some research was done into the initial shortages, published on Fruitnet,  which found that there was in fact no panic buying but a mere uplift of three percent in most cases - and the shelves were empty. I'll see if I can find the link.  Flour seems indeed to be one of the commodities where there are still shortages. 

Edited by Millsy
  • Thanks 1

Just in case any of you manage to sneak across the channel in the coming months, France has just scrapped the law about carrying a breath-tester in your vehicle. Ed. 

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

She seems to be talking about French border Police and diplomats plus lorry drivers, when pressed about holidays she referred to the FCO guidance at least twice, however I am not sure that Politicians live in the real world - she also referred to not booking holidays without mentioning those that already had.

PS, if I understood her correctly she said that contravening the quarantine was a fixed penalty of £1000, not a fine up to £1000 !

No I don't think they do live in the real world.  Basically they have decided to kill the  international  holiday travel market for years to come, because that's what it will come to. No one will have the confidence to book a foreign holiday in advance for a very long time, especially as long as the underwriters will not write cancellation business for claims due the virus. Let's be frank also - many won't have the money.   BF might as well turn it in now, it will be a long and very poor summer indeed for them followed by a bleak winter. 

Edited by Millsy

18 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Just in case any of you manage to sneak across the channel in the coming months, France has just scrapped the law about carrying a breath-tester in your vehicle. Ed. 

Think the 3 I have in the glove box expired a long time ago - but I have a supply of toilet rolls in my defence.....

• Haha 1