Corona virus

Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

Thanks everyone! 5 hours in theatre, all done. They misrouted the catheter and can't get a new one in. Pray I manage to pee before 10pm or the stick a pronged tube through my stomach.

Edited by colin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Thanks everyone! 5 hours in theatre, all done. They misrouted the catheter and can't get a new one in. Pray I manage to pee before 10pm or the stick a pronged tube through my stomach.

Posted Images

I reckon that all the post-op lark is worse than the actual procedure.  Well, I suppose it would be because you’re fasto when under the knife.

Good that you’re OK, but rehab will be the trickiest part.  

• Like 2

Since the French borders reopened on the 15th July, foreign tourists have been allowed back into the country. I was in the city today and saw Belgian, Italian and Dutch cars parked and driving around so I assume things are starting to get back to normal.

Ed,

Worth mentioning too that autoroute service stations have now re-opened their restaurants.   Up till now, they have only been able to provide fuel and (I think) packaged food like sandwich packs.

Mark you, the catering on the motorways is nothing to write home about these days.  It’s probably the thing that I’ve seen the biggest decline in quality and value for money in the last ten years.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Worth mentioning too that autoroute service stations have now re-opened their restaurants.   Up till now, they have only been able to provide fuel and (I think) packaged food like sandwich packs.

Mark you, the catering on the motorways is nothing to write home about these days.  It’s probably the thing that I’ve seen the biggest decline in quality and value for money in the last ten years.

Yes, I got an email from Vinci just this morning telling me exactly that and how they were looking forward to relieving me of as much money as possible this year. Ed. 

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, colin said:

That’s good news hopefully they won’t take the p too much and let you out soon or maybe they should take the p.

• Like 1

Given that most of us have scrupulously followed government advice for the last three months, have made the required sacrifices and have done so in the knowledge that it would hasten the day when things would get back to normal*, this really annoys me:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-53159406

Would it therefore be wrong to hire a plane to fly over Manchester carrying a banner reading "Lockdown Rules Matter"?

Ed. 

(*to the point where my daughter is now able to attend a friend's birthday party and sleepover this weekend) 

• Like 3

It's unfortunate that a large percentage of the population have chosen to ignore the UK Government guidance advice and in doing so will prolong the return to a "new normal." I feel sorry for all those UK residents who have complied with the self isolation and social distancing regulations.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

I feel sorry for all those UK residents who have complied with the self isolation and social distancing regulations.

I don't feel bad having spent lockdown in my garden. I am still alive and well while others who broke the rules now have chronic lung and liver disease or are dead.

• Like 1

Summer has arrived here.The streets of Angers are full of people eating-out. The pool was up to 28 degrees this afternoon and, following yesterday's tourist sightings in Angers, this evening I came across a late-middle-aged couple in our small town driving around in a Porsche Cayenne with UK plates. They didn't look like they were over here on essential business unless that business involves finding a table for dinner by the Loire. Ed

DSC_0353.JPG

• Like 2

Interesting how others are dealing with it all..Have a look here https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/ you can have a look at real time views all over the world but if you look at Hoek Van Holland in South Holland set up you can see people on the beach, in cafes just getting on with life. You also get a very good view of vessels enroute to Rotterdam and if you time it right the Stena Hoek to Harwich ships.

Ed`s view of whats going on in Angers seems to be pretty much how the rest of Europe are getting on with things.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Paully said:

Interesting how others are dealing with it all..Have a look here https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/ you can have a look at real time views all over the world but if you look at Hoek Van Holland in South Holland set up you can see people on the beach, in cafes just getting on with life. You also get a very good view of vessels enroute to Rotterdam and if you time it right the Stena Hoek to Harwich ships.

Ed`s view of whats going on in Angers seems to be pretty much how the rest of Europe are getting on with things.

Well if you look at some of the beaches in the south of England it looks like business as usual on a nice summers day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
28 minutes ago, Paully said:

Interesting how others are dealing with it all..Have a look here https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/ you can have a look at real time views all over the world but if you look at Hoek Van Holland in South Holland set up you can see people on the beach, in cafes just getting on with life.

Looking at the view of Osaka, Japan it looks very like normal. Even without Covid 19 the Japanese wear masks to prevent spread of colds.

40 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Well if you look at some of the beaches in the south of England it looks like business as usual on a nice summers day.

Just quoted elsewhere about Cornwall holiday bookings going bonkers, can you imagine what the M5 is going to be like this summer????,,not to mention them trying to find a car park space when they do get within a mile of any Cornish beach😂

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

I feel sorry for all those UK residents who have complied with the self isolation and social distancing regulations.

Don't. We've done the right thing. I will take your sympathy for being saddled with a government of unbelievable mediocrity not to mention mendacity but to be honest the restrictions haven't been that tiresome. Miss M's business has been able to keep open during these months and sensibly applied the restrictions are no real hindrance. Otherwise we've saved a devil of an amount of money and I no longer have to toil round the supermarket every week. 

Anybody who thought that the easing of restrictions would not result in massive demand must be from another planet and the way that was handled reeked of a government which was - as one feared it would eventually become even in normal times - quite simply bored and idle. 

Edited by Millsy

These things were inevitable. It's hot and people have been bottled up. At 67 I viewed restrictions with equanimity. My 17 year old self would not have been so sanguine or anywhere near so compliant I can assure you.

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 4
2 minutes ago, Millsy said:

Don't. We've done the right thing. I will take your sympathy for being saddled with a government of unbelievable mediocrity not to mention mendacity but to be honest the restrictions haven't been that tiresome. Miss M's business has been able to keep open during these months and sensibly applied the restrictions are no real hindrance. Otherwise we've saved a devil of an amount of money and I no longer have to toil round the supermarket every week. 

Agreed the lockdown did not cause us any real problems apart from a 3 week holiday in Spain going down the pan. Shopping reduced to once a week. Money saved from holiday bought a new mill and lathe (boys toys). Garden now temporarily weed free, We are both retired so no employment worries but I do have sympathy with families with young children and the financial implications for them

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Millsy said:

These things were inevitable. It's hot and people have been bottled up. At 67 I viewed restrictions with equanimity. My 17 year old self would not have been so sanguine or anywhere near so compliant I can assure you.

Statistically at 17 you would be fine but at 67 its a different story i'm affraid. ☹️ hope you keep well....

From the BBC website:

---------

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that there has been a weekly increase in cases in the region for the first time in months.

In 11 countries “accelerated transmission" has caused a "significant resurgence that if left unchecked will push health systems to the brink once again in Europe”, said WHO Europe director Dr Hans Kluge.

These nations have been named as Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, North Macedonia, the Republic of Moldova, Sweden and Ukraine.

--------

When I was growing up, 10 out of those 11 weren't actually in Europe, or if they were nobody noticed. Even today I'd still be hard pushed to find some of them on a map (except for the two I've since visited). So, if I can't find it, ergo I can't go there and therefore I can't be infected. Seems like the ideal system to protect myself.

Ed