That's what they tell everybody - brace yourself

Like many people I have had regular bowel cancer tests and on one occasion some years back it was ambiguous so I was asked to take the rectal examination. It was painless and I was able to watch it on the TV monitor as the inspection proceeded. Nothing nasty was found although I was able to comment to the doctor that it was literally the first time I had been up myself.

Allways better to be safe than sorry and even if anything is found it is almost always readily treatable so good luck.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cvabishop said:

Like many people I have had regular bowel cancer tests and on one occasion some years back it was ambiguous so I was asked to take the rectal examination. It was painless and I was able to watch it on the TV monitor as the inspection proceeded. Nothing nasty was found although I was able to comment to the doctor that it was literally the first time I had been up myself.

Allways better to be safe than sorry and even if anything is found it is almost always readily treatable so good luck.

I’m going for one on Friday so that has put me a bit more at ease I’m most worried about not being able to eat for 22 hours before hand.

8 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I’m going for one on Friday so that has put me a bit more at ease I’m most worried about not being able to eat for 22 hours before hand.

Ah ha! I wasn't told that so clearly it's just a chat tomorrow. My father had bowel cancer 6 years ago and has now recovered but my doctor wants me to get an early checkup as a precaution.

Ed.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

You'll be fine (the procedure, not the not eating bit). I had one last year. It can be quite uncomfortable at points but there's no pain. It'll be over and done before you know it. Also more interesting to watch than daytime telly.

I would add that if they find anything they think shouldn't be there, the chances are they can remove it - again, this is painless but can be a bit odd to watch on the big screen.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

’Im going for one on Friday so that has put me a bit more at ease I’m most worried about not being able to eat for 22 hours before hand.

Ed, Yeah, well you don't want to block the camera! But really, don't worry it's all painless and no big deal. You can enjoy a curry afterwards.

Cabin Boy, always good to check as if they do find anything which is unlikely it is usually easily treatable.

Unlike Jim, my inspection was totally painless and not uncomfortable at all.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

Also more interesting to watch than daytime telly

"Cash in the attic", you mean?

I actually did have something similar about 10 years ago for another reason and can't recall it being particularly uncomfortable.

Ed

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

"Cash in the attic", you mean?

I actually did have something similar about 10 years ago for another reason and can't recall it being particularly uncomfortable.

Ed

I'll be honest, I wasn't thinking of a particular show at the time... ;)

Posted (edited)

I'll be honest, I wasn't thinking of a particular show at the time

Not 'Up the Junction' then....

Edited by cvabishop
  • Haha 2

Had bowel screening myself.  Procedure itself was fine - it was the enema they expect you to give yourself before the appointment that worried me.  I had to do this at home and then take a cab to the hospital.  Never been so scared in my life as the enema worked AT home, but was praying like heck it had done it’s job - pun intended - and I wouldn’t require second helpings in the car...🤣 

• Like 1

I remember on a school exchange when I was 13 with a French boy from Marseilles, I developed a fever.  His mum summoned a home visit from the family doctor.  He walked in, had a listen to my tum/chest, rolled me over and stuck a thermometer into my bum!  Nearly jumped out the window - totally unheard of and shocking to my parents when I got home, not to mention the mistrust I've had of medics ever since!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Until the tourists come...

We are hoping to get to the East Neuk in the next couple of weeks (we have the use of family accommodation there). We always have a look out for the foreign cars and campervans when we are there and I am interested to see how many tourists we this trip.

I really do wish that CB hadn’t introduced this subject at this time of night.  

Was just beginning to think in terms of some nice after dinner cheese.  Instead ....... what do we get ???

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gardian said:

I really do wish that CB hadn’t introduced this subject at this time of night.  

Was just beginning to think in terms of some nice after dinner cheese.  Instead ....... what do we get ???

It started as a discussion about masks and then people began to offer helpful advice. It's hardly our fault. If someone gave us some ferries to actually travel on there'd be no need for all this waffle. 😉 Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Pool update. 

The pump that came with the pool had about as much power as an electric toothbrush. So today I bought and plumbed in this monster. I'm now capable of giving the Bellagio a run for its money. Ed. 

DSC_0354.JPG

• Like 2

One of my doctor-students just sent me a strange email. He reads the British press online at breakfast every morning to improve his skills and came across Boris using the phrase 'whack-a-mole strategy' to explain the localised lockdown in Leicester. Not understanding the expression, he put it through one of the internet translation services and got 'taper une taupe'. Now he wants to know why the British Prime Minister appears to be using what sounds to him like a euphemism for masturbation in the fight against Covid-19. Ed. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

If he lived here he'd know the answer to that question. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It pains me to say it, having had no past experience of problems, but I would discourage anyone from using EasyJet for the foreseeable future. 

I had a booking, made in January, for a flight Nantes-Nice on 25 July and back on 2 August. I was aware that they hoped to run an increasing number of flights in June and July before getting back to some sort of normality in August. I therefore feared for my flights, particularly the outbound one at 7am (booked to avoid Saturday traffic at both ends). 

I received an email yesterday telling me that my flight was indeed cancelled (although they got the original  timings wrong) and I would now be on the only still running option that day at 13.35. I guess that due to the drop in demand they only need a single flight instead of the three originally planned. The new flight has the same number as the original which for me indicates that they are accepting it's the 7 am flight with a 6 hour plus delay. I also found that my reserved, and paid for seats (so the four of us can sit together), had not been carried over. 

So I rang EasyJet, not 'EASY to get through', and spoke to a semi-human who sounded like the Taliban's customer relations spokeswoman. I politely explained that I wasn't satisfied with the change but understood the reasons. I then asked why my seats weren't switched. She said she didn't know and couldn't do anything about that and I'd have to 'manage my booking' and reserve them again. When I asked if I'd be refunded the original cost for the seats she said probably not. This didin't help my mood.

So I then explained that I obviously intended to put in a claim under EU law for compensation given that the flight was clearly delayed by more than 5 hours. She said that in the COVID context that wouldn't work but I told her I'd check and that I hoped the law would take precedence over her company's attempt to wriggle out of their responsibility as they could have run the flight at 7am and asked other passengers to move up to that slot.

She then went into the expected spiel about people losing money, jobs and blah, blah blah, as if I wasn't aware of that. I reminded her that time is money and 6 hours (or a day more or less if I now get stuck in traffic around Nice) of a one-week holiday has a value. She then hung up on me. 

I subsequently paid another 20€ for the seat reservations and am none the wiser as to where the money for the originals has gone. 

So, to conclude, yet another company has shirked its responsibilities to its customers and failed to even provide a reasonable service to help resolve problems of their own causing. I'm inclined to cancel everything (as is now my right due to their changes) and book a train instead but my wife doesn't fancy 5+ hours in a mask if it can be avoided.

So we are still travelling with EasyJet but it's likely to be the last time.

Ed

17 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

It pains me to say it, having had no past experience of problems, but I would discourage anyone from using EasyJet for the foreseeable future. 

I had a booking, made in January, for a flight Nantes-Nice on 25 July and back on 2 August. I was aware that they hoped to run an increasing number of flights in June and July before getting back to some sort of normality in August. I therefore feared for my flights, particularly the outbound one at 7am (booked to avoid Saturday traffic at both ends). 

I received an email yesterday telling me that my flight was indeed cancelled (although they got the original  timings wrong) and I would now be on the only still running option that day at 13.35. I guess that due to the drop in demand they only need a single flight instead of the three originally planned. The new flight has the same number as the original which for me indicates that they are accepting it's the 7 am flight with a 6 hour plus delay. I also found that my reserved, and paid for seats (so the four of us can sit together), had not been carried over. 

So I rang EasyJet, not 'EASY to get through', and spoke to a semi-human who sounded like the Taliban's customer relations spokeswoman. I politely explained that I wasn't satisfied with the change but understood the reasons. I then asked why my seats weren't switched. She said she didn't know and couldn't do anything about that and I'd have to 'manage my booking' and reserve them again. When I asked if I'd be refunded the original cost for the seats she said probably not. This didin't help my mood.

So I then explained that I obviously intended to put in a claim under EU law for compensation given that the flight was clearly delayed by more than 5 hours. She said that in the COVID context that wouldn't work but I told her I'd check and that I hoped the law would take precedence over her company's attempt to wriggle out of their responsibility as they could have run the flight at 7am and asked other passengers to move up to that slot.

She then went into the expected spiel about people losing money, jobs and blah, blah blah, as if I wasn't aware of that. I reminded her that time is money and 6 hours (or a day more or less if I now get stuck in traffic around Nice) of a one-week holiday has a value. She then hung up on me. 

I subsequently paid another 20€ for the seat reservations and am none the wiser as to where the money for the originals has gone. 

So, to conclude, yet another company has shirked its responsibilities to its customers and failed to even provide a reasonable service to help resolve problems of their own causing. I'm inclined to cancel everything (as is now my right due to their changes) and book a train instead but my wife doesn't fancy 5+ hours in a mask if it can be avoided.

So we are still travelling with EasyJet but it's likely to be the last time.

Ed

sorry Ed but they can make changes as long as its not within 14 days ..Some details here: https://www.claimcompass.eu/blog/flight-schedule-change-compensation/

Still very shoddy treatment especially by the staff member you spoke to..That said they are reducing the company by 30%, laying off 1 in 3 pilots and are closing their bases at Newcastle/Stansted and Southend. 

3 minutes ago, Paully said:

sorry Ed but they can make changes as long as its not within 14 days ..Some details here: https://www.claimcompass.eu/blog/flight-schedule-change-compensation/

Still very shoddy treatment especially by the staff member you spoke to..That said they are reducing the company by 30%, laying off 1 in 3 pilots and are closing their bases at Newcastle/Stansted and Southend. 

Drat and thanks! or thanks and drat! So they've actually been cunning by keeping the same flight number. Gits!

So, we'll keep things as they are and enjoy the holiday. Taking the train would be more expensive overall and mean a day travelling each way so the retun trip would swallow up another whole day when our flight isn't until 9.30pm from Nice and we hope to spend some time in Monaco. 

It's just as well I didn't have a ferry or cruise ship to catch in Nice on the Saturday lunchtime.

I shall now try to contact Europcar to change my arrival time and the car park at Nantes Airport to warn then them of the delay too. Isn't this fun!

Ed

Not even the flight number I'm afraid, Ed. So long as they give you 14 days notice they can put you on a different plane, in a different seat and with a different number (and if they wanted to, a different airline). The EU regs only kick in for delays on the day, or changes within 14 days that change the times of your flight by more than a certain amount.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that the fee you paid to reserve specific seats should either be refunded or free seat selection offered for the new flights.

Somewhere in southern England. No wonder B/F is getting lots of bookings to France. 

IMG_1037.JPG

EaayJet can also change your London flight to any “London” airport that they choose so Gatwick to London Southend for example by all accounts a severe inconvenience if your cars parked at the other one.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Given the current overall confusion related to travelling we won't even consider doing anything either by air or ferry until things have settled down. I see lots of people making optimistic convoluted travel arrangements on the basis that things might 'be alright on the night' and then finding that their carefully laid plans have been totally disrupted by changing circumstances. TBH I think you are on a hiding to nothing. Unless it is really imperative that you must travel then best to back off and save yourself grief and potential expense.

Too many people are happy to be on the leading edge of reopening international travel on the basis that 'they must have a foreign holiday' but overlook the fact that it is the leading edge that hits all the obstacles. No doubt we will all learn from their experiences but there is no need to willingly share them. Be patient and you might actually get something nearer to what you want a bit later on.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So, after Vinci last week suggested giving them more of my hard-earned cash, today they actually gave me some back. I just rebooked my airport parking which automatically generated a refund of the previous reservation. The price has dropped by over 10€ in the last 5 months for the same service. Ed. 

• Like 1

Taking up Colin`s `leading edge` metaphor above, one point of air travel, that hasn`t registered on people`s radar, whilst in pursuit of Lager louting in the sun is the issue of the thermometer. Apparantly temps will be taken before entering the departure terminal..too high and after 2 nd check its sorry go home not allowed to fly. Of Course no insurance company will cover you for cancellation either. Ditto at the other end..up to 4 hours on the flight in a mask(would certainly raise my temperature) and you`d be refused entry and maybe stuck in quarantine for most or a large part of the holiday.

Once stories like that emerge and hit the popular press, that will certainly cool demand for sun and beer rather dramatically. Ferries and your own car are a different ball game that may hand BF a slight advantage.

• Like 2