1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

they must have a foreign holiday'

In our case we could certainly cancel the holiday in southern France and instead spend an extra week free of charge in Normandy. We neither want to cancel, having booked well before everything went pear-shaped and it's now a regular bi-yearly routine we have adopted, nor feel that we should. Aside from the trips there and back, it's a holiday which presents very little risk of contact with other people. I also feel that my wife and children deserve the holiday. The latter have had a very disrupted school year and can see their friend from Paris and the former has had a difficult last 5 months. As a primary school teacher she hasn't stopped sending work to the kids, securing her classroom for the restart and homeschooling our girls and to top it all she lost her mother to cancer in April. Ed. 

• Like 2

Good point re temperatures. I have been treated in an eye hospital recently and the temperature test was taken by a sensor inserted in my ear. The problem was that I wear two hearing aids, one of whiich had to be removed and the aid probably increased my ear temperature slightly so they neede to wait a moment and have another go.

Bad enough if it happens at the airport as you arrive but if it happens at your destination you are stuffed! Unlikely you will be given the benefit of the doubt. If you are travelling from the UK to a hot destination such as Spain or Greece your temperature when you get off the plane is likely to increase a bit anyway.

• Like 1

Ed, I appreciate your view but you have hit the nail on the head in identifying the travel too and fro as being the main risk issue. We have had two holidays booked to Greece this year and have already cancelled one and will almost certainly cancel the other. Greece itself is almost certainly safer than the uK although stringent distancing would be a big downer on the holiday experience but getting there and back at the moment is a risk too far for us being aged over 70.

We want a holiday too but would settle for the Isle of Wight this year if that is possible. If not we will go for local day trips in the hope tht we will survive to have a proper holiday or two next year. OK, we may be over cautious but look what is happening in Leicester. Things could still get worse again quite rapidly.

• Like 1

I just received an email from DFDS to say they are now open for 2021 bookings including Dieppe-Newhaven. That seems earlier than last year and under normal circumstances I'd be on the site now booking my Christmas trip. However, we got an invitation to spend Christmas in the mountains this afternoon so while that is confirmed or rejected I'll have to hold off. Ed

12 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I just received an email from DFDS to say they are now open for 2021 bookings including Dieppe-Newhaven.

Indeed they are open until the end of June 2021, so far. The prices look reasonable as well. Maybe throwing the gauntlet down to BF

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, IanN said:

April the first?

Its unbelievable

Only the French could do this.

Clearly common sense is not the Stevedores speciality, but this is  another headache for BF to deal with. Are they going to trust sending the Bretagne to St Malo when schedules would be a lottery and they could be held to ransom whenever these fools decide. I agree with the Cherbourg solution in the short term at least, but can BF IT systems cope??

Edited by Paully
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, wortley said:

Somewhere in southern England. No wonder B/F is getting lots of bookings to France. 

IMG_1037.JPG

Working from home?:D

9 minutes ago, IanN said:

April the first?

Its unbelievable

Only the French could do this.

I’m probably missing something here, but with the collapse of SMM, aren’t the stevedores effectively unemployed?

Accordingly, they aren’t actually on strike.  If they worked, they wouldn’t get paid and they’d be uninsured.

Colin will know - maybe it’s a different group of employees.

15 minutes ago, Gardian said:

I’m probably missing something here, but with the collapse of SMM, aren’t the stevedores effectively unemployed?

With the ferries restarting there must be Stevedores of some sort employed but obviously some of them don't want to work.

1 hour ago, Gardian said:

Accordingly, they aren’t actually on strike.  If they worked, they wouldn’t get paid and they’d be uninsured.

Colin will know - maybe it’s a different group of employees.

Quite, and their access badges should be cancelled so hopefully they can't actually get into the port area. They've probably found someone with a boat who's willing to drop them off at the jetty or block the linkspan. 

Ed. 

On 30/06/2020 at 18:48, cvabishop said:

Too many people are happy to be on the leading edge of reopening international travel on the basis that 'they must have a foreign holiday' but overlook the fact that it is the leading edge that hits all the obstacles. No doubt we will all learn from their experiences but there is no need to willingly share them. Be patient and you might actually get something nearer to what you want a bit later on.

I think that's very well put Colin. But I wonder if there is also a section of the population for whom another layer of aggravation going though any international travel terminal is just what they needed to finally say never again. 

• Like 1

On 30/06/2020 at 21:34, cvabishop said:

Ed, I appreciate your view but you have hit the nail on the head in identifying the travel too and fro as being the main risk issue. We have had two holidays booked to Greece this year and have already cancelled one and will almost certainly cancel the other. Greece itself is almost certainly safer than the uK although stringent distancing would be a big downer on the holiday experience but getting there and back at the moment is a risk too far for us being aged over 70.

We want a holiday too but would settle for the Isle of Wight this year if that is possible. If not we will go for local day trips in the hope tht we will survive to have a proper holiday or two next year. OK, we may be over cautious but look what is happening in Leicester. Things could still get worse again quite rapidly.

I am just going to sit and wait it all out.  The idea of wearing face masks on board kills the enjoyment of a day out anyway.  Plus having to keep them on ashore as well.  I can just about cope with putting up with them for a 30 minute bus journey to Poole, but having to wear them most of the day in summer fills me with dread.  You have to wear them in public too in France as well?  Rather wait till this is all over, and by the time Barf gets back for the autumn things might be different.  That is two months away and a lot could change. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Solo said:

With the ferries restarting there must be Stevedores of some sort employed but obviously some of them don't want to work.

Am I missing something here? Is a Stevedores job so unskilled that the workforce gets made redundant when the company goes into administration and then there’s another group of qualified,insured and licensed  stevedores ready to take over at no notice?

27 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Am I missing something here? Is a Stevedores job so unskilled that the workforce gets made redundant when the company goes into administration and then there’s another group of qualified,insured and licensed  stevedores ready to take over at no notice?

I don't know about that but I do have a picture somewhere of the StM shuttle bus driver untying the ropes as the dockers had all walked away without taking the precaution of making sure two of their number remained to do this job. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

No... but there's a bunch of Stevedores who no longer have an employer and a no doubt a new employer who doesn't have to honour old contract terms.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jim said:

No... but there's a bunch of Stevedores who no longer have an employer and a no doubt a new employer who doesn't have to honour old contract terms.

That’s fair enough , just a genuine question, not sure how it all works .

3 hours ago, Millsy said:

I think that's very well put Colin. But I wonder if there is also a section of the population for whom another layer of aggravation going though any international travel terminal is just what they needed to finally say never again. 

I think you have raised a very good point there. Travelling by air is an aggravation from start to finish, add health hoops before and after arrival with the worry of expensive sanctions to boot and do it all again on the way home, really does take the shine off the bit in between, certainly for me and many more besides.

1 hour ago, Paully said:

I think you have raised a very good point there. Travelling by air is an aggravation from start to finish, add health hoops before and after arrival with the worry of expensive sanctions to boot and do it all again on the way home, really does take the shine off the bit in between, certainly for me and many more besides.

Could this be the reason why UK based cruises are becoming so popular.

Could this be the reason why UK based cruises are becoming so popular

That has been the case for a while now although you need two weeks to take in the Med but there are the options of Norway, the Baltic and Canaries etc. for shorter periods plus of course around the British Isles.

Provided passengers can be properly screened before boarding I think UK/UK cruises could become a popular option. The only obvious snag is mingling with local populations at ports of call which might need to be carefully chosen. And some places might not be too keen to welcome Brits.

You could of course have 'cruises to nowhere' as the ships are essentially floating resorts in their own right and could just head down into the sunshine and potter about there for a while. Hardly any diffrent from a Spanish all inclusive resort where people never venture out of it. Probably better facilities too.

• Like 1

Big cultural change in Scotland coming up masks compulsory in shops from 10th of July .

8 hours ago, Khaines said:

You have to wear them in public too in France as well?

Not in public when outdoors but more or less compulsory in enclosed spaces. Very few people are wearing them in the street including myself, but I always have one in my pocket and put it on if passing through a dense crowd like a queue outside a sandwich shop. The 'health crisis' is due to end on 10 July unless something untoward happens in the meantime and some people think the mask rules might be relaxed. Personally, I hope that's not the case as, even though it's not very uncomfortable, it does make people think and act more responsibly and shows respect for those who are obliged to be in contact with the public for professional reasons. Ed. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Not in public when outdoors but more or less compulsory in enclosed spaces. Very few people are wearing them in the street including myself, but I always have one in my pocket and put it on if passing through a dense crowd like a queue outside a sandwich shop. The 'health crisis' is due to end on 10 July unless something untoward happens in the meantime and some people think the mask rules might be relaxed. Personally, I hope that's not the case as, even though it's not very uncomfortable, it does make people think and act more responsibly and shows respect for those who are obliged to be in contact with the public for professional reasons. Ed. 

Yes I agree.When I'm at work,at La Roche sur Yon, my printing machine is a long way from the general public,so I don't where a mask. However when I am seeing clients I do.It shows some respect to the public who may be worried .These rules are not put into practice for nothing.Although the Vendéens have grumbled a bit they have generally accepted the rules and the results up to now show this.

• Like 2