Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

One of the first in Starbucks this morning - lovely to be able to sit inside, although they have a 15 minute rule, which is a bit daft!  30 minutes should be better, took at least 10 minutes for my coffee to cool down enough, and 15 mins is a bit rushed.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

We've a young crowd in here today!

The Corona virus hit Roscoff overnight, several victims in a critical state.....🤪 Chris

Posted Images

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Most shoppers around my way not wearing masks even though it  will be a legal requirement to wear them in shops in Scotland from the 10th  of this month , interesting times ahead. 

I note that your dear leader is using a Tartan face mask - are you meant to use the family tartan for recognition ?

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I note that your dear leader is using a Tartan face mask - are you meant to use the family tartan for recognition ?

Good plan!, because you wouldn't want to look a drunk Glaswegian in the eyes, would you?  Ed.  

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Good plan!, because you wouldn't want to look a drunk Glaswegian in the eyes, would you?  Ed.  

I don't know where you are wearing your masks in France, however I suspect that the road accidents have gone up !

7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Well the profits for the sale go to a homeless charity so that’s all good in my book, there a few Tartan ones about including one from the town where I live “Selkirk Tartan”  (profits going to charity) although I don’t really get it as you’re supposed to wash masks at 60 degrees and wool at 60 degrees isn’t a good combination, I hope nobody minds but seeing it’s all for a good cause here’s the link to the mask the first minister was wearing (I wouldn’t buy one personally)

https://slanjkilts.com/homeless-tartan/homeless-mask

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Khaines said:

One of the first in Starbucks this morning - lovely to be able to sit inside, although they have a 15 minute rule, which is a bit daft!  30 minutes should be better, took at least 10 minutes for my coffee to cool down enough, and 15 mins is a bit rushed.  

It was nice to get a good coffee today,  some normality was nice I had to make do with a takeaway but it’s a start.

D64E74E6-A6AD-4902-B412-89F41F361B5B.jpeg

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Well the profits for the sale go to a homeless charity so that’s all good in my book, there a few Tartan ones about including one from the town where I live “Selkirk Tartan”  (profits going to charity) although I don’t really get it as you’re supposed to wash masks at 60 degrees and wool at 60 degrees isn’t a good combination, I hope nobody minds but seeing it’s all for a good cause here’s the link to the mask the first minister was wearing (I wouldn’t buy one personally)

https://slanjkilts.com/homeless-tartan/homeless-mask

The instructions for the tartan masks are that they are to be handwashed.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, neilcvx said:

It was nice to get a good coffee today,  some normality was nice I had to make do with a takeaway but it’s a start.

D64E74E6-A6AD-4902-B412-89F41F361B5B.jpeg

That’s a ferocious-looking Lab there at the shop front.

Glad I wouldn’t have to negotiate him / her.  Danger of being licked to death.

• Haha 2
On 02/07/2020 at 19:35, Cabin-boy said:

I spoke to a French GP today and he said that Covid PCR tests are available in France at most local medical labs but at the patients own cost so people needing one for any reason (like I may if I wish to go to Jersey) can get one done. However the down side of that is that if you test possitive but are assymptomatic then you should normally self-isolate for 14 days afterwards along with your family. Ed

The price for a Covid PCR test in France is 54€ apparently. That makes it about the same as my ticket/voucher to Jersey. The sensation of having the test is similar to someone shoving a baseball bat up your nose and wiggling it about, according to the doctor who I believe was trying to put me off. I think I might sit this summer out for the moment to be honest if that's the case. The voucher is valid for 18 months so perhaps a simpler test will become available later in the year and I can go over then. Ed. 

22 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The price for a Covid PCR test in France is 54€ apparently. That makes it about the same as my ticket/voucher to Jersey. The sensation of having the test is similar to someone shoving a baseball bat up your nose and wiggling it about, according to the doctor who I believe was trying to put me off. I think I might sit this summer out for the moment to be honest if that's the case. The voucher is valid for 18 months so perhaps a simpler test will become available later in the year and I can go over then. Ed. 

I would not want that test done, had to have an endoscopy through the nose once and if it is anything like that - no chance.  Temperature checks as well are putting me off, mine fluctuate quite a bit, and I don’t fancy paying for a day out only to get refused because my body is doing what it always does!   I don’t want to look forward to a good trip only to be turned away at check in because of that.  Ferries being cancelled is bad enough having your efforts kaput, but I just cannot see the reliability of temperature checks when any raises could be attributed to quite a few other things. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

There’s a saliva test in trials but it appears to not be as reliable.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-saliva-test-for-coronavirus-piloted-in-southampton

8 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

This is a campsite we are thinking about going to next year at some point there doesn’t seem to be any social distancing on any of their social media post the occasional staff member wearing a mask, anybody know if this is common practice in France?

https://www.facebook.com/288162427868721/posts/3324452507573016/

A lot of places are using plexiglass screens if possible to avoid wearing masks. The staff should use masks if in contact with visitors but the tourists themselves may not do so if they don't judge it necessary. Ed. 

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

A lot of places are using plexiglass screens if possible to avoid wearing masks. The staff should use masks if in contact with visitors but the tourists themselves may not do so if they don't judge it necessary. Ed. 

The magician in that post wasn’t wearing a mask nor did he have a screen between him and the audience.

2 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The magician in that post wasn’t wearing a mask nor did he have a screen between him and the audience.

No, the plexiglass screens are being used mainly in reception areas. In the case of the magician maybe he decided it wasn't appropriate for his act in which case the public would have to weigh up the risks before attending his show. Ed.

14 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

No, the plexiglass screens are being used mainly in reception areas. In the case of the magician maybe he decided it wasn't appropriate for his act in which case the public would have to weigh up the risks before attending his show. Ed.

Children’s parents in this case it would seem , good old French common sense 😉

12 hours ago, Khaines said:

I would not want that test done, had to have an endoscopy through the nose once and if it is anything like that - no chance.  Temperature checks as well are putting me off, mine fluctuate quite a bit, and I don’t fancy paying for a day out only to get refused because my body is doing what it always does!   I don’t want to look forward to a good trip only to be turned away at check in because of that.  Ferries being cancelled is bad enough having your efforts kaput, but I just cannot see the reliability of temperature checks when any raises could be attributed to quite a few other things. 

Trust me Brigitte if your temperature was anywhere near the figure they're looking for you'd not feel up to going out anyway.

I'm a polar bear so even in sub 20 degree temperatures I feel like i'm melting and i'm on fire which is mainly caused by the meds I'm on but my temperature never really goes above 36.8... missus took it this morning as my pillows were soaking even though the air con is banging out cold air, 35.9. Biology is a weird and wonderful thing!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, jonno said:

Trust me Brigitte if your temperature was anywhere near the figure they're looking for you'd not feel up to going out anyway.

I'm a polar bear so even in sub 20 degree temperatures I feel like i'm melting and i'm on fire which is mainly caused by the meds I'm on but my temperature never really goes above 36.8... missus took it this morning as my pillows were soaking even though the air con is banging out cold air, 35.9. Biology is a weird and wonderful thing!

A thermometer used under the tongue measures core body temperature, this does not change during a hot flush or sweating episode such as you've described. The hand-held thermometers aimed at one's forehead measure skin temperature and this does change. I've yet to experience having a thermometer gun aimed at me, and it may prove interesting.... let's just say I will be learning the French for "menopause" and "hot flush" before my next BF trip just in case. My GP claims that there shouldn't be a problem, we shall see.

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Can we have a translation please Ed.

This was President Macron's Tweet that Mr. ROUE liked:

"Le projet que j’ai porté en 2017 et sur lequel les Français m’ont élu reste au cœur de ma politique. Mais il doit s’adapter aux bouleversements internationaux et aux crises que nous vivons : un nouveau chemin doit être dessiné."

It translates (without going into too much detail) as:

"My aims going into the 2017 election, and which the French population supported me on, are still at the heart of my political ambition. This ambition must, however, adapt to take into account international events and the crises we face. Therefore we need to forge a new path."

Which actually means:

" I'm still here. I may have got most of the last three years wrong but those were my principles. As you didn't really like them,  I have others. Let's give something else a try."

Ed