Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Thanks everyone! 5 hours in theatre, all done. They misrouted the catheter and can't get a new one in. Pray I manage to pee before 10pm or the stick a pronged tube through my stomach.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, IanN said:

No

Is it a yuppie thing?🙂

Maybe! I wouldn't know what to wear.

Would the tartan pyjamas be appropriate or the velour smoking jacket/dressing gown with matching slippers?

And for the summer, my Wallace and Gromit tee-shirt/boxer combo might infringe the dress code.

What a nightmare!

Ed

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

And for the summer, my Wallace and Gromit tee-shirt/boxer combo might infringe the dress code.

The mind boggles😜

2 hours ago, Khaines said:

Breakfast meeting = autistic support session = just to clear up that one..😂

Hi

Didn't think you were a yuppie 🙂

Ian

• Thanks 1

I bet those `less than warm` welcome signs will be making a return sometime soon on the overhead bridges visible to the Devon and Cornwall bound traffic.  

I think these figures can be misleading, there have been no new cases in Cornwall for a week and I think Devon is the same, so there must be a lot more in the wider SW, remember this includes Bristol etc.  If the number of cases is low the R number can be high with just a few extra cases, if one person infects five others the R is five, if a hundred people infect ninety the R is 0.9, now which is worse?

• Like 1

Some advice required, please.

When quoting prices for a Swiss company, should one automatically double (or increase) the amount charged? I'm basing my logic on their ambitious pricing of sandwiches at Geneva airport.

Ed

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Some advice required, please.

When quoting prices for a Swiss company, should one automatically double (or increase) the amount charged? I'm basing my logic on their ambitious pricing of sandwiches at Geneva airport.

Ed

Don't be silly Ed.

Treble.

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, ZinedineBiscan said:

Don't be silly Ed.

Treble.

I'm not aiming to be accepted for dual-nationality. I just want to relieve them off an appropriate amount of cash and not under- or over-price the work. 😉

A customer in Paris has given my name to an agency in Zurich who are keen for me to translate a handbook/training manual for them. They want a short sample text translated to evaluate both the work and price so I need to be consistent and what I give now will just be scaled up for the big project(s).

Ed. 

On 09/07/2020 at 13:42, Millsy said:

The government is petrified because casual dining is the only thing that has been keeping the high street alive. But it has in truth always had the characteristics of a bubble - the collapse of the Cafe Rouge outfit shows the fragility of the sector. And there is gross oversupply.  Here in Emsworth there are, or were until one shut a year ago, 30 outlets where you can buy at least a take away coffee. It's madness.

When I heard the latest pronouncements from Boris tonight, I remembered you posting this. He's suddenly said that people should "go back into work if you can" - a complete swerve from "work from home if you can". No mention of safety issues with public transport, or how uncomfortable it will be to wear a mask on a long commuter journey. It's all about casual dining as you say - no office workers (as well as no tourists) is leading to the demise of the likes of Pret, Costa et al. For those of you who can bring yourselves to look at the Daily Mail website, the comments on the main article show that Boris is fooling no-one.

My home town has the usual over-supply of coffee outlets, and two have already closed in the last couple of weeks. More to follow, no doubt.

If that is the motivation he really doesn't understand the discretionary economy at all. Mind you most people who only talk about it don't either - he'll just understand it less. If you are in the discretionary cash based economy you know the one thing you must never give your punters is time (or cause) to think about what is often essentially learnt habitual behaviour. The spending has to be frictionless, regular and automatic and, if an impulse, served quickly before the moment passes. Once any of these are broken you are dead. This is why you move a market trader off their usual pitch over their dead body. Look in wonder at just how lightning quick on-course bookmakers work! (In this household the notion of having fish and chips over the past few weeks has frequently foundered on the fact that you have to order, pick a time, obey restrictions when collecting and maybe having to wait on the street in the rain - leave alone the sensitisation to price. If you think about the latter Costa was well named.) I sometimes wonder if those who, quite rightly of course, persuaded the majority of us to give up smoking suspected for one minute they were signing the death warrant for thousands of newsagents but the two purchases went together daily when I was a lad. 

We've all had three months to think. That, not the virus, is IMHO why there will be a new normal. 

Edited by Millsy

I am not particularly happy about the face masks in shops thing, Johnson is suggesting.  If we were going to have to wear them in enclosed public spaces, we should have been ordered to do so back in March. Same as with public transport.  I see it as a bit of the horse and stable door thing and he is doing stuff much too late.  I cannot see shops as virus spreading grounds, the freshest outbreaks have come from overcrowded working conditions in meat plants and fashion sweatshops.  These are the places which are the worst originators of outbreaks.  I heard that one of these fast fashion factory owners actually swelled their workforce to cope with online demand.  Shopping onlne for fast fashion then is just encouraging iffy employers to turn their factories into breeding grounds for new outbreaks.

• Like 1

I can't imagine that shop staff are too happy about the proposed face masks in shops as most of them, especially supermarket staff, don't wear them. If they felt unsafe, they would be wearing them already. Totally agree re fast fashion sweatshops, that is an issue that needs to be dealt with, the owners have been getting away with exploiting their employees for too long.

Will be interesting to see how the masks-in-shops rule affects footfall in shops in Scotland - maybe Boris is waiting for some data on that before he decrees what the English should do.

Edited by Shefford
  • Like 2

The reasoning behind doing it now is that more shops are opening increased amount of folk equals more risk so more safety measures are needed back in March we were told not to go out unless it was essential so in theory less need for masks.

I wear a mask for nearly all my 14 hour shift so a shorter shift at a shop isn’t an unreasonable length of time to wear a mask for , staff are wearing them now in shops in Scotland obviously there are exceptions which apply to staff as well as shoppers , it’s a change that it looks like we will have to get used to in my opinion.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Khaines said:

I am not particularly happy about the face masks in shops thing

I think that any of you who come over to France this summer are going to be surprised by the experience.

All supermarket employees are wearing either masks or visors (or both) and many are sitting behind plexiglass and wood structures errected around the tills to create a further barrier. Bakeries, dry-cleaners and many other shops with counter staff are doing the same.

Shoppers seem to be split 50/50 at present. I always put mine on when inside (and keep it on if moving between shops), not just for my protection but also out of respect for the workers who are far more exposed than I am. 

When walking through the city I generally don't wear one but put it on if crowds build up or there are queues.

I had one on for 4 hours (changed after two) at work yesterday and it wasn't comfortable by the end but if I want to be allowed into my customers premises then so be it. 

The rule now seems to be 'carry a mask with you when out and about' which is hardly difficult to comply with. I also always have a bottle of hand sanitiser and a pen in my pocket. The gel is for cleaning my hands when coming out of shops without automatic doors etc and the pen for pushing lift buttons or keypads on parking metres etc. It saves having to use the gel quite so often although car-keys work just as well. Touch-screen machines obviously require skin-contact so the gel is useful there too.

It's true there are significant clusters in various areas, including Laval where my wife and daughters have gone for the weekend, but there do seem to be links to either abatoirs or towerblocks housing more ethnic-minority populations. If you are thinking all the time about these things then eventually it just becomes a routine and is not especially difficult.

But, why wait for the government to rule on the issue? You can take the initiative and set a trend at the same time. Boxes of disposable masks and bottles of gel are now on sale in almost all supermarkets over here now so there are no supply issues anymore.

Ed

• Like 1

I think the resistance to shops/ masks will be significant..On line grocery deliveries/click and collect will go through the roof and Amazon must be rubbing their hands in unbelievable glee..we have got used to this new normal and we won't be going back to shops unless there is no option. 

Yet no masks required in restaurants obviously but what's different between them and shops??? Both enclosed.

As for masks yuk...we just can't breathe properly with these things on so if we can spend our dosh without wearing them we surely will..

Just doesn't seem to be joined up thinking tbh

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The reasoning behind doing it now is that more shops are opening increased amount of folk equals more risk so more safety measures are needed back in March we were told not to go out unless it was essential so in theory less need for masks.

I wear a mask for nearly all my 14 hour shift so a shorter shift at a shop isn’t an unreasonable length of time to wear a mask for , staff are wearing them now in shops in Scotland obviously there are exceptions which apply to staff as well as shoppers , it’s a change that it looks like we will have to get used to in my opinion.

Agree re non-essential shops, which will potentially have more shoppers in them now. However, footfall in supermarkets and essential shops has not changed, the restrictions on numbers in the shop at any one time are still there, so I don't see any reason to impose masks in those places. They have been open all through the pandemic.

Bumbling and burbling does not equal either joined up thinking  or reasoned policy.  

And there's nothing new going on in the schmutter game worldwide at present that shouldn't (and indeed couldn't) have been sorted out years ago. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think that any of you who come over to France this summer are going to be surprised by the experience........

We're spending 2 days in the Caen area in September and what you've described sounds fine - masks not compulsory outdoors or in supermarkets. Did you see the photos from Bayonne of the widow of the murdered bus driver leading a march in his honour? At least two-thirds of the people, including the immediate family, were not wearing masks.

26 minutes ago, Paully said:

I think the resistance to shops/ masks will be significant..On line grocery deliveries/click and collect will go through the roof and Amazon must be rubbing their hands in unbelievable glee..we have got used to this new normal and we won't be going back to shops unless there is no option. 

Yet no masks required in restaurants obviously but what's different between them and shops??? Both enclosed.

As for masks yuk...we just can't breathe properly with these things on so if we can spend our dosh without wearing them we surely will..

Just doesn't seem to be joined up thinking tbh

How do folk in ICU cope , care workers? Support workers? Masks are a slight annoyance when your in a shop for 30 minutes or so.

Theres far more shops open now in Scotland now than before I can’t see primarks profits going down for example, some people like shopping at stores and some don’t there’s bound to be an upsurge in online shopping due to the pandemic I don’t think the compulsory wearing of masks will have a significant effect on that , folk here in Scotland don’t seem too bothered by wearing them although they could do with being educated on how to wear them properly.

I’m trying to persuade the wife to go across to StMalo for a few days in September wearing a mask on the ferry won’t stop me going in fact it has had  the opposite effect.

As I have said before, when someone pushes past you in a shop, and coughs or sneezes, would you rather they were wearing a mask? WHO latest suggests easier airborne transmission than previously thought. You may have seen the pic doing the social media rounds of your breath vapour on a very cold day... Add the prevalence of asymptomatic cases and surely most of us can manage a mask. Find the type that you are most comfortable with.

• Like 2