Corona virus

Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Neil’s photo reminded me of my own mother, also a Margaret and 88 years young, lives on her own in a retirement flat near Bristol. She hasn’t seen anyone for over a week now so really important point

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I spent 2 hours in the hairdressers yesterday and had to wear one the whole time.  Darn hated it.  

2 hours is an impressive length of time for a haircut, there’s a guy down the road from me started up a barbers in his summerhouse charging £17.50 for an hour long haircut would be interesting to see how he strings it out to an hour, he’s also offering beard trims (razor cuts still banned ) so no mask required for that , if anyone wants to donate £17.50 to me or £24.50 for the beard trim as well I will report back I’ve until the 15th to grow a beard.

I'm guessing two hours is for colour treatment, not just a hair cut. I've got a similar scenario coming up and am not looking forward to it. Anyway, if, as is highly likely, I become boiling hot and start pouring with sweat ** then the mask will be coming off and they'll just have to wait 10-15 minutes until I cool down. Nothing I can do about it apart from having a hand fan with me which will help a bit.

** Sorry to be graphic, chaps, but please understand that mask-wearing of any kind is extremely difficult for some women "d'un certain age".

Edited by Shefford
  • Like 1
Just now, Cabin-boy said:

Fans might be banned too. They are over here as they waft virus particles around the room. Air-conditioning is a no-no as well in many offices. Ed. 

Could be in for an interesting time at the hairdressers then! 😀

4 minutes ago, Shefford said:

Could be in for an interesting time at the hairdressers then! 😀

Why don't you get one to come to your own home and do it in the garden instead? Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

Why don't you get one to come to you own home and do it in the garden instead? Ed. 

Colour treatments in the garden doesn't sound very feasible. Also dependent on the weather. Outdoor haircut in winter? - maybe not.

We regularly visit the RHS garden at Wisley which has re-opened, but you have to book in advance so they can restrict numbers. We went on the 30th June and had to abandon the visit after an hour as the rain was so heavy and no indoor areas were open. Ended up having our picnic lunch back home. Hoping for better weather on our next booked visit in a couple of weeks time.

• Like 1

Fans are going to banned soon in care settings and NHS premises in Scotland.

I suspect hairdressers will want to make the experience as enjoyable as possible so should be responsive to a timeout for a few minutes to allow folk to take a breather although sitting relaxing in a chair whilst wearing a mask sounds not bad compared to what I have to do when wearing one.

@Khaines get yourself one of these 

https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/hidden-disabilities-face-covering.html?fbclid=IwAR05pqHfsUlgYITrQVhD_opMjM7iLeZFI8y9dN9cMhPA1kTvd5m9vSO-UsA

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shefford said:

Did you see the photos from Bayonne of the widow of the murdered bus driver leading a march in his honour? At least two-thirds of the people, including the immediate family, were not wearing masks.

I didn't see the news last night, just the weather forecast as I was working out how to do business with the Swiss (long story, don't ask), but I can imagine the scene. Given the attack involved a dispute about mask-wearing you'd have thought people would be more sensible. I'm surprised the local t-shirt printers didn't think to produce masks for the occasion. They always do a roaring trade when things like this happen in France. Ed. 

20 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Surely those most likely to be exempt from mask-wearing are also those most likely to be unable to appreciate the risks they are taking, apply effective social distancing measures or judge whether any symptoms they might have are potentially Covid-related. They would possibly also have pre-existing medical conditions for which a mask would provide a degree of protection. Rather than issuing such cards, perhaps carers should be working to encourage them to get used to masks in their domestic settings so that when out and about it becomes natural. They would also probably find it easier to accept if everyone else was doing so. Ed. 

• Like 1

You can’t tell someone with for example Fragile x (autism) to wear a mask you either exclude them from public life or work into the public risk that there’s a percentage of the population that won’t wear masks , plenty autistic and people with learning disabilities are entirely healthy individuals.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

work into the public risk that there’s a percentage of the population that won’t wear masks

If they can't or won't wear a mask then perhaps a visor would be more appropriate as the sensation is more akin to wearing a baseball cap. 

Selling those cards online is clearly a bad idea. Anyone can get one (I could apparently buy a thousand and resell them even if it says I shouldn't) and exempt themselves from not just wearing a mask but also contributing to the national effort. They should only be available from a doctor after a clinical or psychological examination and on a case-by-case basis.

Every aspect of our lives outside (and often inside if you live in multi-family housing) is now adapted to allow handicapped people to fully integrate and play an active role in society. No such preparations were made for Covid so there's likely to be a period during which it will be difficult for them to adapt but if this goes on for months or years (and becomes more serious during the winter) then some flexibility will be necessary. 

26 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

You can’t tell someone...

So, don't tell them but encourage them. Train them. 

Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

If they can't or won't wear a mask then perhaps a visor would be more appropriate as the sensation is more akin to wearing a baseball cap. 

Selling those cards online is clearly a bad idea. Anyone can get one (I could apparently buy a thousand and resell them even if it says I shouldn't) and exempt themselves from not just wearing a mask but also contributing to the national effort. They should only be available from a doctor after a clinical or psychological examination and on a case-by-case basis.

Every aspect of our lives outside (and often inside if you live in multi-family housing) is now adapted to allow handicapped people to fully integrate and play an active role in society. No such preparations were made for Covid so there's likely to be a period during which it will be difficult for them to adapt but if this goes on for months or years (and becomes more serious during the winter) then some flexibility will be necessary. 

So, don't tell them but encourage them. Train them. 

Ed. 

Ed no disrespect but you’re not really getting the point if you want you can study Autism or other learning disabilities and see why your idea won’t work but basically anything that deviates from the normal is almost always pushed aside some guys I know will try to wear the same clothes every day and I spend half a shift discussing with them why they should wear something else ,the card is not a bad idea anymore than a radar key is the sunflower land yard to signify hidden disabilities has been around for a long time and hasn’t been abused to a great extent so no reason why the card will be.

No, I get the point. I know all about dealing with stubborn people - I live in France remember! 

The point is that if it is impossible for them to wear a mask then what was normal for them pre-Covid will now become impossible. If private shops, cinemas,  museums or amusement parks insist on masks for the protection of their employees and the confort of other customers then I don't see how carrying a card will exempt you. If I take my children to the cinema, and we wear masks as required, someone sitting behind me and coughing repeatedly (for whatever reason) with a card stating they have a medical reason not to wear one isn't going to make for a relaxing experience. The same on a plane or train. If the general public evaluate the risk is too great them something will have to change. Ed. 

I would like to see you “train” some of the guys I work with ,I might try that tonight with a non verbal deaf Autistic guy who likes to wear the same clothes everyday.

I would have hoped we lived in a more caring accepting  society than one which excludes people with a disability to such an extent as you seem to want, so people who can’t go to the cinema until they are trained up 

Ashmatics , a lot of autistic people , claustrophobic people , 

You can train anybody given enough time. My wife has made enormous progress since she met me. 

Surely the autistic reward system for children could be adapted to fit the current situation. 

16 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I would have hoped we lived in a more caring accepting  society than...

The problem is that we are going through an unprecedented health emergency and one for which nobody has written the rules and are therefore authorities are making things up as they go along. If that involves a few sacrifices and the temporary suspension of certain liberties (as we have all experienced recently) then so be it. It doesn't change the underlying compassion in society for those who are fragile or depend on others but there are currently other, equally needy, causes. Not a week goes by here without someone saying 'civil responsiblity' or 'collective effort' or 'we are all in this together'. Therefore if one is unable to take responsibility for oneself it is up to those caring for them to do so and make the appropriate decisions for the greater good. 

Ed. 

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

You can train anybody given enough time. My wife has made enormous progress since she met me. 

I would love to see you try to “train” some of the guys I’ve worked with , it’s possibly one of the most untrue statements I’ve seen on here , as for making sacrifices some of the guys at my work haven’t went further than their garden for since the beginning of March , the problem with this pandemic is it’s not going anywhere anytime soon the wearing of masks by 99 % of the population will allow the 1 % who can’t wear them to be safer when out and about, I didn’t think “mask shaming “ would be an issue it obviously is.

1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

I didn’t think “mask shaming “ would be an issue it obviously is.

There is no question of 'mask shaming', at least not from those who are aware of the problem. Certainly some people will never be able to accept them but others who might claim not to (as I think Khaines herself has said) will make the effort if push comes to shove.

3 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

the wearing of masks by 99 % of the population will allow the 1 % who can’t wear them to be safer when out and about,

Absolutely true which takes us back to the original point about whether those who can wear masks in shops etc will actually do so, like you and I believe they should.

As often the case, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this particular point, as we do on several others (Scottish independance, the delights of haggis, the need for cyclists to dress in lyra etc). At least we still agree that Bretagne is the best ship in the fleet, although what that says about the rest of the ships, God only knows.

Ed

6 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I will certainly be wearing my mask on Bretagne if I get on her this year and hopefully everyone else heading to Cherbourg will be too.

Do the masks help filter out the smoke particles from burning palettes too then? Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, Khaines said:

I spent 2 hours in the hairdressers yesterday and had to wear one the whole time.  Darn hated it.  

You're a lady, I'm a man - and the new normal is that I'm never going to a hairdresser again. Never.  

My wife has learned to wield electric shears very efficiently and doesn't ask the inane questions that all hairdressers have been taught to ask. And it's free.

• Haha 2
31 minutes ago, wortley said:

You're a lady, I'm a man - and the new normal is that I'm never going to a hairdresser again. Never.  

When I grew my hair long in 1970 I knew once and for all I was freed from the gents hairdressers and the incredible waiting while he droned on and on to his customers about how the rovers would do that weekend, or Swindon Town or boxing or wrestling on and on. While most of my contemporaries rejoined the short back and sides brigade I, along with nuff and spud and a few others from that generation, stuck with it. A quick trim round from Miss G now Mrs M has done since then.

Edited by Millsy