Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

I will wear a mask if I have to, when they were introduced on public transport in the UK I wore one for the whole week before they became mandatory so I got used to them.  I am not one of those who will refuse due to disability, I won’t use my condition as an excuse not to, as I am pretty capable of putting up with one, but doesn’t mean to say I find them very irritating and uncomfortable.  I have had 57 years to learn to deal with situations I find uncomfortable.  Would hate to lose my independence, my support is minimal, it is a chat for two hours a week that I pay for privately and it helps sort out minor niggles I have, but mostly we just have a coffee and a chat like friends.  I would adapt to a mask in shops, I can on buses, so shops would be the same.  I am just grumbling because I think it should have been done before lockdown.

And by the way, I had a colour treatment in the hairdressers.  The beard comes off in two weeks...😄

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

We've a young crowd in here today!

The Corona virus hit Roscoff overnight, several victims in a critical state.....🤪 Chris

Posted Images

Some good and bad news I’m finally getting out for a meal at our local restaurant unfortunately their local foie gras supplier is “charging like the Gordon highlanders “ so that’s off the menu , so it’s looking like a toss up between the duck egg or scallops, life’s tough oh and it’s a much reduced menu plus having to order a few days in advance still it’s a start to normality. (Suppose it’s not advertising as not many forum members live up here or will visit)

A445D84A-81AC-4A3D-B615-66F16AB45242.thumb.jpeg.db386f657dcbbc756462d69ba769260a.jpeg

6 hours ago, neilcvx said:

2 hours is an impressive length of time for a haircut,

I used to work above Vidal Sasson's salon in Bond Street years ago. His customers expected to be in there for 5 hours.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Some good and bad news I’m finally getting out for a meal at our local restaurant unfortunately their local foie gras supplier is “charging like the Gordon highlanders “ so that’s off the menu , so it’s looking like a toss up between the duck egg or scallops, life’s tough oh and it’s a much reduced menu plus having to order a few days in advance still it’s a start to normality. (Suppose it’s not advertising as not many forum members live up here or will visit)

A445D84A-81AC-4A3D-B615-66F16AB45242.thumb.jpeg.db386f657dcbbc756462d69ba769260a.jpeg

Scallops and black pudding

Lamb

Choc fondant

• Like 2

Yes Colin, that’s £38 (or €42-ish) before you start on drinks / coffee.  No wonder it’s called The Fleece !

UK restaurant prices always bring tears to my eyes ........... as do BF’s restaurant prices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Yes Colin, that’s £38 (or €42-ish) before you start on drinks / coffee.  No wonder it’s called The Fleece !

UK restaurant prices always bring tears to my eyes ........... as do BF’s restaurant prices.

It’s all locally sourced good quality  food I could get cheaper if I went to spoons but to be honest with the reduction in covers and more or the same staff it’s a price I’m willing to pay occasionally, also worth noting the chef trained and has worked at several Michelin starred restaurants.

Edited by neilcvx
  • Like 2
27 minutes ago, colin said:

Scallops and black pudding

Lamb

Choc fondant

Good choice Colin.  Some good dishes on that menu.  I normally, as a matter of policy, steer clear of chicken dishes when eating out (eat it too often in), but that one looks very tempting too.

On balance, I think I would go for:

Scallops

Beef

Apple Tarte Tatin

Mind you, I’m always tempted by the cheese platter too.  It would probably depend on what “3 scottish cheeses” means.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

It’s all locally sourced good quality  food I could get cheaper if I went to spoons but to be honest with the reduction in covers and more or the same staff it’s a price I’m willing to pay occasionally, also worth noting the chef trained and has worked at several Michelin starred restaurants.

I didn't need to know he had Michelin connections. I guessed as soon as I saw the word 'foam'. Ed. 

• Haha 1

The foam on the scallops is really nice had the scallops  a couple of times now as they are so good but maybe time for a change so will probably go for the duck egg , the beef is super tasty and tender but I will probably go for the lamb as I’ve  run past them for the past few weeks so I know their provenance 😉 , cheese is good usually a soft Brie or Camembert along with a blue and a smoked cheese (small restaurant small choice unfortunately ) had the cheese on the lockdown menu so will probably go for the Raspberry dish, can’t wait to see the new wine menu.

We’ve lost so far in Selkirk a good Thai restaurant, a good hotel restaurant ( doing roooms only now ) and a cafe that’s the ones confirmed so far I really don’t want to lose one of the best restaurants in the town so I’m willing to pay a bit more to not lose another one.

2 hours ago, Gardian said:

Wow - that's a very reasonable price and a nice menu

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Wow - that's a very reasonable price and a nice menu

It’s really good food and wine , they have won a lot of awards recently they are  a real asset to the town and luckily for them the exterior of the building got renovated recently as part of the town regeneration scheme so it looks the part too.

• Like 1

I do like the menu but I never patronise places that think it's smart to omit the £ sign from prices. Daft I know but I just won't do it.

Were they to replace the £ then I would go for 

Salmon

Lamb

Cheese 

For those around here an ex pupil of mine (not cookery!!!), who took it over last year, has just reopened 36 on the Quay after the hiatus. If you're in the area at least look at the menu case and give him a bit of hope....

• Like 2
1 minute ago, David Williams said:

Are there any specific rules in French supermarkets now re masks or limiting number of household members ?

Masks are strongly encouraged but there are plenty of people without them. And shopping as a family group is no problem. Just be aware that, due to distancing rules, the queues for the checkouts are longer and the more people in your group the more of an obstacle you create in the aisles and therefore the greater the risk of contact with people raching for the mustard or salad dressing.

Apparently yesterday the French motorway network recorded an all-time July record for the number of cars. The jams at toll booths were huge. It's an early getaway date (with next weekend normally being the peak) so suggests people have rearranged their dates for the year and are prioritising their cars over trains and planes.

On the same subject, if anyone is thinking of flying to Corsica this summer, there are no more hire cars available on the island. Thos who have already booked will be fine but due to the circumstances (closed car factories, an uncertain season, etc.) there are far fewer vehicles available. If you take your car on the ferry you will be fine obviously or there are buses, trains and taxis that you can use.

Ed

• Thanks 1

On the bright side, last week on the beach at Blainville-sur-Mer (Manche), the density of sunbathers (and occasional swimmers) maxed out at about a dozen people on two miles of beach.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One thing I have been thinking about over the past couple of days is that due to doctors surgeries being closed and the news of people avoiding going to their doctors when they should, I wonder if it is a good idea to start being able to get antibiotics via a pharmacy. In the past year I have had a couple of urine infections and have had antibiotics for them.  Prescribed via the surgery, but have another one and wish that I could just go to Boots rather than the palaver of organising another prescription.  Surely, that in these times, doctors surgeries should shuffle antibiotics to pharmacies.  Doctors surgeries should only deal with the most severe cases.  Would offload a lot of work and a pharmacist should be able to do this.

8 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I wonder if it is a good idea to start being able to get antibiotics via a pharmacy.

Over use of antibiotics is one of the major problems of our time. Estimates for dealing with the problem are close to double what dealing with climate change could cost. While the main source of the problem lies with farmers, especially those in the USA, anything to limit antibiotic resistance in humans is to be welcomed.

• Like 3

Shuffling Antibiotics on to Pharmacies is a crazy idea. People would buy them for everything. I know otherwise intelligent people who will not be told that Antibiotics are no good if you have a cold or flu or indeed any virus  except if there is some kind of secondary infection. The minute they feel a bit under the weather they are off down the surgery demanding them - and sadly they often seem to be given them. Probably to get rid of them. The overuse in agriculture in the Western world is one of the scandals of our time. 

• Like 3

I spent Saturday in A&E with a guy who  is antibiotic resistant to a lot of antibiotics hence the hospital trip for a urine infection which he suffers from a lot so has to have antibiotics, I think though with phone and video appointments there’s no need to pass antibiotic dispensing onto pharmacies , not sure about the other UK countries but in Scotland we have the “minor ailments scheme” where you can go to your local pharmacist and get prescribed a lot of stuff that previously you would need a Doctors appointment for it saves a lot of hassle it doesn’t however include antibiotics. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I spent Saturday in A&E with a guy who  is antibiotic resistant to a lot of antibiotics hence the hospital trip for a urine infection which he suffers from a lot so has to have antibiotics, I think though with phone and video appointments there’s no need to pass antibiotic dispensing onto pharmacies , not sure about the other UK countries but in Scotland we have the “minor ailments scheme” where you can go to your local pharmacist and get prescribed a lot of stuff that previously you would need a Doctors appointment for it saves a lot of hassle it doesn’t however include antibiotics. 

This is what I mean.  I am not advocating walking in and buying a packet of antibiotics like you would a packet of ibuprofen, I would suggest that in the case of antibiotics for minor infections like urine ones which are quite common, then one could go for a consultation with a pharmacist who would take your details and your GPs details.  The pharmacy in my GP’s surgery has my details as my GP sends electronic prescriptions down there.  Boots have a record of my details too.  I just wish that after a Friday and Saturday night with cramps which I know what they are caused by, I could just pop down to Boots and give my details to the pharmacy.  Anything given would be notified to my GP.   I will be ringing the GP up tomorrow but just think it would have been great if I could have had a five minute consultation in Boots.  You can buy paracetamol like Maltesers, and despite shops only being allowed to sell so many paracetamol tablets, there is nothing to stop someone going to another shop and buying more.  If I wanted I could go round Bournemouth and fill a carrier bag up with packets of that in an hour.  Not that I would, but if you can buy that stuff which is highly dangerous, no questions asked then why not be able to have a few minutes filling out a form and a chat in a pharmacy for antibiotics for a urine infection. 

5 minutes ago, Khaines said:

This is what I mean.  I am not advocating walking in and buying a packet of antibiotics like you would a packet of ibuprofen, I would suggest that in the case of antibiotics for minor infections like urine ones which are quite common, then one could go for a consultation with a pharmacist who would take your details and your GPs details.  The pharmacy in my GP’s surgery has my details as my GP sends electronic prescriptions down there.  Boots have a record of my details too.  I just wish that after a Friday and Saturday night with cramps which I know what they are caused by, I could just pop down to Boots and give my details to the pharmacy.  Anything given would be notified to my GP.   I will be ringing the GP up tomorrow but just think it would have been great if I could have had a five minute consultation in Boots.  You can buy paracetamol like Maltesers, and despite shops only being allowed to sell so many paracetamol tablets, there is nothing to stop someone going to another shop and buying more.  If I wanted I could go round Bournemouth and fill a carrier bag up with packets of that in an hour.  Not that I would, but if you can buy that stuff which is highly dangerous, no questions asked then why not be able to have a few minutes filling out a form and a chat in a pharmacy for antibiotics for a urine infection. 

Try Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice in the meantime and speak to someone who knows to see if there is some homeopathic or alternative remedy that you can keep at home as a 'first aid' solution. Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1