Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

Further to my earlier posts I thought I'd share the opinons of another two doctors here in France this evening. They believe, and this is pure speculation on their part (one is a laboratory technician involved in testing for bacteria and viruses and the other manages a small country hospital for post-operative care in the community and say that half his patients are likely to become statistics if inected), that President Macron will be using his televised address tomorrow evening to announce what is effectively a move to Stage 3 across the country. The doctors believe that the rapidly increasing number of cases needs to be halted before it gets to Italian-style levels, if that's still possible, and shutting down social life and unnecssary movement of people may be the only solution. As Colin said above, doing so now would give France a small head start and apparently the population have mostly failed to heed advice about physical contact and therefore need a real shock to make them obey. The government spokeswoman insisted earlier that any such measures, if taken, would still allow the economy as a whole to function but aim to reduce interaction between different at-risk population groups. I'm also hearing separately via colleagues at the university that the deans and professors are working on contingency plans to allow students to sit some sort of end-of-year exams at home or online if necessary which suggests they anticipate disruption until mid-May at the earliest. Again, those are rumours and there has been no offical statement made as yet. Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

The Corona virus hit Roscoff overnight, several victims in a critical state.....🤪 Chris

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Further to my earlier posts I thought I'd share the opinons of another two doctors here in France this evening. They believe, and this is pure speculation on their part (one is a laboratory technician involved in testing for bacteria and viruses and the other manages a small country hospital for post-operative care in the community and say that half his patients are likely to become statistics if inected), that President Macron will be using his televised address tomorrow evening to announce what is effectively a move to Stage 3 across the country. The doctors believe that the rapidly increasing number of cases needs to be halted before it gets to Italian-style levels, if that's still possible, and shutting down social life and unnecssary movement of people may be the only solution. As Colin said above, doing so now would give France a small head start and apparently the population have mostly failed to heed advice about physical contact and therefore need a real shock to make them obey. The government spokeswoman insisted earlier that any such measures, if taken, would still allow the economy as a whole to function but aim to reduce interaction between different at-risk population groups. I'm also hearing separately via colleagues at the university that the deans and professors are working on contingency plans to allow students to sit some sort of end-of-year exams at home or online if necessary which suggests they anticipate disruption until mid-May at the earliest. Again, those are rumours and there has been no offical statement made as yet. Ed

That's sensible Ed as France has seen a bit of a spike today, another 497 cases although those deemed critical within that group appears to be "just another" 19. A total of 105 critical cases out of 2221 may suggest that the majority of sufferers are managing their health.

There's a good regional breakdown here:

https://www.santepubliquefrance.fr/maladies-et-traumatismes/maladies-et-infections-respiratoires/infection-a-coronavirus/articles/infection-au-nouveau-coronavirus-sars-cov-2-covid-19-france-et-monde

16 hours ago, cvabishop said:

To get the virus you have to have some form of exposure. Mrs B and I are retired without grandchildren. In a sense we are semi self isolated quite easily as we have no need to use public transport or visit very crowded places. Our main point of contact with the wider community need only be supermarkets for buying food which should be relatively low risk.

Likewise. We are occupying ourselves with a redecoration of the house.

I have noticed that supermarkets are very quiet just after opening and just before closing.

I see DFDS are being a bit more pro active than BF

For travel until 30th of April 2020, DFDS offers two alternatives:
• Free rebooking (no amendment fees apply). If the new ticket is more expensive than the original ticket, the customer will pay the difference.
• Free cancellation (no amendment fees apply) and a travel credit equivalent to the ticket price will be issued and can be used as payment on future sailings.
• In order for the above to come into effect, the customer must advise us latest 24 hours before departure
• Travel credits expires 31st December 2020
• The travel credit is a personal travel credit and cannot be transferred to others
• This goes for individual bookings independently of booking channel (direct or 3rd parties)
• The above goes for all routes and is for ferry crossings only
What if the price of my future sailing is higher than my original ticket price? If your future sailing is priced higher than the initial sailing, then you must pay the difference.

https://www.dfds.com/en-gb/passenger-ferries/corona-virus

• Thanks 2

To expand on Neil's DFDS info, this in full is what Stena are sending to their loyalty club members.

Dear Iain,

You may not know it but each year we perform 28,000 sailings where we connect Europe and connect people. On each of these sailings, caring for the safety and comfort of our guests is our top priority. Because of that, the situation with the COVID-19 has our full attention.

We are very grateful that you have chosen to travel with us in the past, therefore we would like to share some of the steps we have taken for you to continue to feel safe on-board and to rely on Stena Line to provide a reliable and comfortable journey.

Safety always comes first

In an extraordinary situation like this we rely on the manuals and routines we have for this kind of situation. Our crews are trained for many different types of situations, including diseases. In addition to that:

• We are in touch with local authorities in the 10 countries where we operate and ensure to follow restrictions from them and established health organisations.

• On-board our ships and in our terminals, we are taking precautionary measures to prevent any spread of the Coronavirus including:

• Increasing the frequency of preventive cleaning and disinfection of “Hand Contact Point Hotspots” such as door handles, access touch pads, telephones. These are sanitized after each sailing and/or at least three times a day on longer crossings.

• Increasing the possibilities for hand washing and disinfection placed in our public areas. 

• Providing information on hygienic measures based on the World Health Organisation’s guidelines.

• Stena Line's employees on-board are trained in how to deal with suspected cases of illness and our ships are equipped with medical equipment.

• An information page can be found on https://www.stenaline.com/coronavirus-information/

No rebooking fee, for your flexibility

In order for you to feel comfortable when booking with us we want to give you flexibility given the current situation. Because of that we are waiving any fees for rebooking of tickets once, for all our destinations so that you can amend you travel as its suits you, if your circumstances change.

This applies to all tickets booked so far in 2020 and is valid for new bookings up to March 31st. If you change to a higher fare type, you will need to pay the fare difference. Full details of our Terms and Conditions can be found here.

For those guests travelling on group and package tours, special conditions apply. Please get in touch with your point of contact where your booking was made.

We hope that this flexibility can give you greater peace of mind when booking your Stena Line ticket.

Travelling with Stena Line

Currently, our network is open to all the destinations we cover on our 20 routes. Should any changes be necessary we will immediately update our website with current traffic information to give you the best service possible. 

You can rely on Stena Line and our crew to provide a reliable and sustainable service to all our guests like we have done for almost 60 years. Thank you for choosing Stena Line and we look forward to welcoming you on-board again soon.

Sincerely,Niclas Mårtensson

President and CEO, Stena Line

• Like 2

The Coronavirus is causing trouble in the world of motorsport now, not only has the Chinese Grand Prix be postponed the Australian Grand Prix is in the verge of being cancelled, the INDYCAR opening round in st Petersburg looks like it’s going to be off, the 1000 mile of Sebring is cancelled😬😡

The senior bods at BF are clearly going to deal with these issues, as addressed by their non route competitors, as a priority,as soon as they emerge from their present self isolation, on or about the 1st July 🙄

Edited by Paully
19 minutes ago, jonno said:

To expand on Neil's DFDS info, this in full is what Stena are sending to their loyalty club members.

Dear Iain,

You may not know it but each year we perform 28,000 sailings where we connect Europe and connect people. On each of these sailings, caring for the safety and comfort of our guests is our top priority. Because of that, the situation with the COVID-19 has our full attention.

We are very grateful that you have chosen to travel with us in the past, therefore we would like to share some of the steps we have taken for you to continue to feel safe on-board and to rely on Stena Line to provide a reliable and comfortable journey.

Safety always comes first

In an extraordinary situation like this we rely on the manuals and routines we have for this kind of situation. Our crews are trained for many different types of situations, including diseases. In addition to that:

• We are in touch with local authorities in the 10 countries where we operate and ensure to follow restrictions from them and established health organisations.

• On-board our ships and in our terminals, we are taking precautionary measures to prevent any spread of the Coronavirus including:

• Increasing the frequency of preventive cleaning and disinfection of “Hand Contact Point Hotspots” such as door handles, access touch pads, telephones. These are sanitized after each sailing and/or at least three times a day on longer crossings.

• Increasing the possibilities for hand washing and disinfection placed in our public areas. 

• Providing information on hygienic measures based on the World Health Organisation’s guidelines.

• Stena Line's employees on-board are trained in how to deal with suspected cases of illness and our ships are equipped with medical equipment.

• An information page can be found on https://www.stenaline.com/coronavirus-information/

No rebooking fee, for your flexibility

In order for you to feel comfortable when booking with us we want to give you flexibility given the current situation. Because of that we are waiving any fees for rebooking of tickets once, for all our destinations so that you can amend you travel as its suits you, if your circumstances change.

This applies to all tickets booked so far in 2020 and is valid for new bookings up to March 31st. If you change to a higher fare type, you will need to pay the fare difference. Full details of our Terms and Conditions can be found here.

For those guests travelling on group and package tours, special conditions apply. Please get in touch with your point of contact where your booking was made.

We hope that this flexibility can give you greater peace of mind when booking your Stena Line ticket.

Travelling with Stena Line

Currently, our network is open to all the destinations we cover on our 20 routes. Should any changes be necessary we will immediately update our website with current traffic information to give you the best service possible. 

You can rely on Stena Line and our crew to provide a reliable and sustainable service to all our guests like we have done for almost 60 years. Thank you for choosing Stena Line and we look forward to welcoming you on-board again soon.

Sincerely,Niclas Mårtensson

President and CEO, Stena Line

I have recieved this also, I am not a loyalty club member but I am on the mailing list.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

All non-urgent operations will be cancelled until the crisis is over to free up extra hospital beds. Ed. 

Doctors here are preparing for the worst even if Johnson is in denial probably frightened he will lose donations.

The President has also asked those who can to work from home as much as possible and for everyone to limit their movements. He has not decided to close any of France's borders, saying that the EU would collectively have to make such a decision.

As far as I can see, cinemas and sports facilities etc. will remain open for now but I would not be surprised if they are also restricted in a second round of measures.

He also said that to enable parents who need to work to be able to do so there would be some sort of activity centre arrangement put in place to accept children. As all this has been totally unplanned I think it will take time before the changes sink in and everything gets organised. In the meantime a can imagine that tomorrow the supermarkets will be extremely busy. 

Ed

Similar rebooking policy issued by Hurtigruten.  I also notice that today's intended visit by Fridtjof Nansen to Dublin has been cancelled.  And next week's call in Guernsey is also off, although they haven't told me about the latter yet and I'm supposed to be on board. Was hoping for one last hurrah before Armageddon but hey ho !

Here's a photo of how the French have interpreted President Macron's instructions to stay at home wherever possible, avoid unnecessary interaction and change their habits for the greater good. Ed. 

DSC_0123.JPG

31 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Here's a photo of how the French have interpreted President Macron's instructions to stay at home wherever possible, avoid unnecessary interaction and change their habits for the greater good. Ed. 

Pope still catholic ;)

5 minutes ago, penguin said:

Pope still catholic ;)

There are two possible explanations.

First, the sun came out with a bit of heat to it and we haven't really seen any since October. 

Second, they are all enjoying one last opportunity to see each other before Monday's restrictions kick in. 

Ed

2 minutes ago, jonno said:

Mine's the 10th May, so far so good...

I'm due out on the 1st May and back on the 2nd. 

The general feeling at the university here is that we are looking at a total shutdown of 7 weeks. That takes us all the way through to the end of the Easter school holidays for all three national zones and means a potential break until 3rd May. That will obviously depend on how effective the measures are. You could argue that May is such a busy month in terms of public holidays that an extension until 25th May to include the long Ascension weekend makes more sense. 

I believe that the ferries linking France and Morocco have all now been suspended too.

Ed

Bad news for travellers so much uncertainty on what is going to happen in the weeks/months ahead.just hope boris is right and the rest of the countries are wrong.some how I think we will find out the next month or so.so good luck to you all who are booked on ferries crossings.

20 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'm due out on the 1st May and back on the 2nd. 

The general feeling at the university here is that we are looking at a total shutdown of 7 weeks. That takes us all the way through to the end of the Easter school holidays for all three national zones and means a potential break until 3rd May. That will obviously depend on how effective the measures are. You could argue that May is such a busy month in terms of public holidays that an extension until 25th May to include the long Ascension weekend makes more sense. 

I believe that the ferries linking France and Morocco have all now been suspended too.

Ed

The May trip is Tallink who have suspended return fares until the beginning of that month.  We've got Normandie (I think?) 18th April & Bretagne on the 25th. At the moment there's more chance of the NHS cancelling Mrs J's holiday(s) as she's at the front of the front line, her colleague is worried about what their kids will get up to if/when the schools in Leeds close but her husband works from home.

She's donning scrubs at work now which is a personal choice - they've had no cases yet, when they do I'm considering jet washing her on the drive way or dunking her in the sheep dip pen over the road!

I had the first of my 4 annual hospital visits today and apart form the isolation pods in the carpark, it's business as usual.