Corona virus

Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

5 minutes ago, Millsy said:

I looked at their site it nearly made me throw up it is so pseudish but just the ticket for the gullible. But no matter - whoever in government drew up the spec could have made it clear that there was to be no centralised working - unless of course they knew it would not be associated with England!

Well, I don't think the English are particularly anti Scotland, although some Scots are definitely anti England!

• Like 4
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've a young crowd in here today!

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

Neil’s photo reminded me of my own mother, also a Margaret and 88 years young, lives on her own in a retirement flat near Bristol. She hasn’t seen anyone for over a week now so really important point

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Millsy said:

On the last point Mrs M and I are click and collect converts. No more toiling round the aisles and especially waiting at the checkouts for us!

We were... for a few weeks... but the mistakes or missing items that kept happening mean we switched back to the shop. On one occasion, having been told something was unavailable we actually arrived early and went in to find an alternative, only to see a shelf fully stocked with said item.

I actually look forward to the mask wearing... I've noticed on the occasions I do, people tend to stay further away ;)

15 hours ago, nottingham said:

Well, I don't think the English are particularly anti Scotland, although some Scots are definitely anti England!

I don't think the scottish are particularly anti English , although some English are definetly anti Scottish.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, nottingham said:

Did a weekly shop at Sainsbury's today and decided to wear face covering as I think they have increased the number of shoppers allowed into store, and as a trial run for next week when it becomes compulsory  Have to say I found it unpleasant and sincerely hope that the requirement to wear one is short lived - I would rather queue and keep a higher level of distancing.

I have bought a lanyard and cut a business card sized piece of card to fit.  And wrote on it my reasons for exemption.  I really wish though that you could get exemption cards from doctors surgeries, a lot are refusing to write exemption letters so you have to just hope the shops and buses rely on your word.  I carry masks anyway and will put one on as a last resort, but if people have a genuine reason for exemption they should be able to get official ID cards from either their family GP or the Government.  I can see quite a few Gestapo types in shops deciding they are doctors and deciding if someone has a genuine disability or not.  

72896FAE-D80F-47EB-8F24-7F5ED0B78310.jpeg

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 3
29 minutes ago, Chef said:

How about a visor instead .

Not 100% on this but I think a mask stops you spreading it and a visor protects you from catching it.

Edited by Solo
  • Like 1

As I understand it and please correct me if I`m`m wrong but don`t you actually need to have medical grade masks in order for the appropriate level of protection to be valid. The cheapos we are now told to use are pretty useless at catching and preventing anything?

• Like 1

I wore a mask today on the bus and just stuffed it with another one to push it away from my face a little.  It is the area around the nose I hate being covered or anything on it,  Never been able to wear make-up, well the foundation stuff women slather on, only make up I can cope with is mascara.  Brings back memories of having a horrible spot on my cheek that would not heal so I tried hiding it with make up, and the make up was more irritating than the spot!!   Defeats the object of wearing a mask but if I can get away with stuffing it with tissue or something, could make life easier.  

Also when we breath out we breath out carbon dioxide so we are also breathing it in as well if it cannot escape! That surely isn’t healthy, we need to breathe fresh air.

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Also when we breath out we breath out carbon dioxide so we are also breathing it in as well if it cannot escape! That surely isn’t healthy, we need to breathe fresh air.

You'd be surprised how much carbon dioxide our bodies need. We Hyperventilate when we lose too much of it. Masks aren't sealed otherwise we wouldn't be able to breathe in in the first place.

Edited by jonno

Funny isn't it?

We can all walk around the supermarket today without a mask but at midnight tonight someone somewhere will flick the magic switch and tomorrow we'll all be wearing them...

Can't wait to see all of the snazzy designs...Herd immunity by stealth, what's not to love?

Another observation.

You can travel using DFDS wearing a mask with zero self distancing, no cabins, everyone plodding up the staircases from the vehicle decks as normal with everyone more or less using the hand rails with non gloved hands and many people queuing for the limited food offering in a non self distancing manner.

Mmm... 

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Funny isn't it?

We can all walk around the supermarket today without a mask but at midnight tonight someone somewhere will flick the magic switch and tomorrow we'll all be wearing them...

Can't wait to see all of the snazzy designs...Herd immunity by stealth, what's not to love?

Another observation.

You can travel using DFDS wearing a mask with zero self distancing, no cabins, everyone plodding up the staircases from the vehicle decks as normal with everyone more or less using the hand rails with non gloved hands and many people queuing for the limited food offering in a non self distancing manner.

Mmm... 

Well we’ve had masks up here in Scottish shop for a while now , and we’ve also had business shut down when they haven’t ensured proper social distancing is complied with .

My observation is the PM is in Orkney today.

6 hours ago, jonno said:

Another observation.

Mmm... 

P&O from Cairnryan to Larne was the same last week when we crossed over. :(

On 21/07/2020 at 14:01, Cabin-boy said:

Just when you thought you'd got Covid-19 under control:

"New Scotland cases linked to test and trace call centre workers"

(from.the BBC website):

"The majority of new coronavirus cases in Scotland are in Lanarkshire following an outbreak at a local call centre, Nicola Sturgeon has said.

The first minister told her daily briefing that there had been 22 fresh positive results and most were in Lanarkshire.

The first minister said "at least some of them" were connected to the Sitel call centre which was carrying out Test and Trace for NHS England.

A Scottish government resilience meeting will be held later, chaired by Ms Sturgeon. She said the meeting would consider the latest situation and any further action that may be required.

"These figures are a sharp reminder that the virus is circulating in Scotland and a reminder that if we allow it to, it will spread rapidly in social settings or workplaces," she said.

The total number of positive cases in Scotland stands at 18,474. No deaths of people who tested positive were recorded between Monday and Tuesday, keeping the death toll at 2,941."

Ed

This outbreak has resulted in other businesses including pubs and a Costa Coffee being closed. I live in the area, although I have never used the affected businesses.

12 hours ago, Jim said:

I actually look forward to the mask wearing... I've noticed on the occasions I do, people tend to stay further away ;)

Well it had rather the opposite effect in M&S when a lady attempted to stand next to me at the checkout she was politely told to back off, maybe mask wearing does induce a false sense of security.

Report by BBC on the way the UK government handled the situation.

It maybe "public health" but " C19 herd immunity" was not based on any concrete evidence at all it seems. It stood a chance of 60% of the population getting it with unknown damage to their bodies or death to the vulnerable.

The lockdown started too late and should have been selective to be effective.

I'm always amazed at how few people understand that you start with what you want or need to achieve then work back to do so. Constant reassessment on the way also.

The crumbs of Government policy dropping on to my plate have done nothing to me to say I think we are going the right way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53433824

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Been told that if you can blow a match out wearing the mask it's no good. That from a registered carer.

I would rather listen to experts in the field than someone with the same scientific qualifications as myself .

@straightfeed careful now don’t get political 😉

11 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Report by BBC on the way the UK government handled the situation.

Handled seems to imply rather more strategic thinking than I have seen at any point. 

The truth is no one would recruit even the lowest level of personnel in their company in the same chancy way we end up with what are described routinely as 'leaders'.  

They are the people's choice and  have done exactly as badly as I expected, given the people involved, no more no less. 

8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Apparently due to extremely low passenger numbers, themselves a consequence of the strict Covid tests required on landing, Manche Iles have suspended sailings to Jersey just a week after restarting. 

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/07/24/manche-iles-express-to-suspend-ferry-services-until-further-notice-a-week-after-restarting-operations/

Ed

Low passenger numbers hardly surprising given that all entrants to Jersey have to undergo Covid testing and may have to go into quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

Low passenger numbers hardly surprising given that all entrants to Jersey have to undergo Covid testing and may have to go into quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

Yes, it's obviously put a lot of people off travelling. There are actually 3 options available, one of which does allow for day trips and I was hoping to slot mine in sometime in mid-August. Thwarted again it seems! 😣 Ed.

Saw on the news that passport applications have a backlog of around 400,000 - mine isn’t due for renewal until May but you have to have 6 months clear which is a bit tricky if this isn’t all sorted out by November.  My passport is the only photo ID I have and Condor ask for photo ID now.  Passports with photo ID need to have at least 6 months on them.  Can see the passport situation causing a lot of travel difficulties as people are having to cancel holidays because of the long wait.

We just arrived at Nice airport on time on our rearranged Easyjet flight to find the place swarming with police.The new PM, Jean Casteix,  had been on an official visit this morning and was just leaving. There was a long line of vehicles accompanying him to the airport, presumably carrying the whole team including the official bottom wiper. Apologies for the poor photos.

Ed. 

DSC_0386.JPG

DSC_0389.JPG