Corona virus

Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

We've a young crowd in here today!

Neil’s photo reminded me of my own mother, also a Margaret and 88 years young, lives on her own in a retirement flat near Bristol. She hasn’t seen anyone for over a week now so really important point

Posted Images

On 10/07/2020 at 19:26, ZinedineBiscan said:

Don't be silly Ed.

Treble.

So, an update. Following your helpful advice I upped my price by 20% thinking that was fair. They started negotiations and accepted a 5% discount. The problem is that due to the time taken to reach an agreement, the time available to actually do the work is now shorter. So I shall have to sit here on the terrace each morning watching the sun rise over the Med while doing an hour's work before everyone else gets up. I hope I'll cope! Ed. 

• Haha 1
On 25/07/2020 at 20:40, neilcvx said:

Foam free zone never had the scallops, nice to eat local everything on the middle plate came from a 2 mile radius of the restaurant.

We have just spent 2 weeks in Northern Ireland, enjoying the local produce. I love cooking and it has made me determined to use our local butchers and bakers at home much more. I just need to find a fishmonger, although I believe that one of the fish merchants from Pittenweem visits our town on a Thursday so I need to investigate that. We had a fruit and vegetable stall in our local shopping area pre-lockdown and I hope that it is back. Our local suppliers really deserve our support.

• Like 2

What's the current situation in France. Mrs Voyager is getting very jittery ahead of our supposed visit on Saturday for two weeks. She's most worried about having to self isolate on return - not possible in her job right now - this being based on press reports here today.

It would be good to get local perspective

51 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

What's the current situation in France. Mrs Voyager is getting very jittery ahead of our supposed visit on Saturday for two weeks. She's most worried about having to self isolate on return - not possible in her job right now - this being based on press reports here today.

Local clusters dotted about the country, quickly acted upon and no wider transmission noticed. Groups of young people at night, family get togethers, Abattoirs etc. We remain careful but life goes on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, colin said:

Local clusters dotted about the country, quickly acted upon and no wider transmission noticed. Groups of young people at night, family get togethers, Abattoirs etc. We remain careful but life goes on.

Thank you, it feels like the press are trying to create scare stories here. There have been stories here today that suggest a national lockdown in France is likely though these seem far-fetched to me (especially given a quote, from the French PM in the same article reads: "What we must avoid above all is a general lockdown". Are there any local lockdowns in progress?

I have been looking at the maps on the gouvernement.fr wesbsite but I'm either getting lost (my French is fairly poor) or the way the information is presented seems to change each time I look.  Do you have any specific recommendations on keeping track of local data? If we do go, we will be starting our holiday near Troyes but have some flexibility in the remaining places (e.g. Ardeche, Burgundy or Alsace,

No local lockdown at this stage. Mayenne worst affected and massive testing in progress, but the situation is not dramatic.

Tests are now free and without need for prescription country wide.

Ouest France, although offering deeper coverage in the west, is pretty good on nationwide news.

• Thanks 1

I can't believe a further lockdown will happen anytime soon, except perhaps at a very local level. Half the country is away from home right now and many won't have transport booked to get home until late August so the logistics would be hellish. If 1% of the population cock everything up for the other 99% I have a feeling it won't go down well. There is no appetite for a further national lockdown and it would be counter-productive. The new PM is the person who got us to where we are now in terms of easing the restrictions. If we lockdown again it means he failed to foresee the effects and should not be doing his present job. Ed. 

• Like 1

Here is a thought.

We are outside the Leicester Lock down area. But some none essential shops are now allowed to open in the lock down  area.

I can go and use these shops and return home from which is still a fairly high CV area without 2 weeks isolation.,

Would you be happier to visit Northern Spain with 2 weeks isolation or Leicester. answers on a Post Card

4 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

The French & UK infection rate is the same, currently around 15 per 100,000. Act responsibly, wear your mask and respect the space of others and you'll be just fine.

We're currently back on a campsite in Normandy, returned on Friday after visiting here earlier in the month. The site is very busy, with lots of Brits, Dutch, Belgians & Germans. Everyone is enjoying themselves, everyone is being responsible and everyone is respecting the need to wear a mask indoors and use the liberal amounts of sanitiser.

British media can't sell positivism and the TV only get viewers for bad news. They sell two things... how to be afraid and who's to blame for your fear.

Out of all of the Europeans we've been freely talking to since July 4th, we Brits are clearly the most paranoid.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, jonno said:

British media can't sell positivism and the TV only get viewers for bad news. They sell two things... how to be afraid and who's to blame for your fear.

Jonno, a perceptive & precise summary.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, jonno said:

The French & UK infection rate is the same, currently around 15 per 100,000. Act responsibly, wear your mask and respect the space of others and you'll be just fine.

We're currently back on a campsite in Normandy, returned on Friday after visiting here earlier in the month. The site is very busy, with lots of Brits, Dutch, Belgians & Germans. Everyone is enjoying themselves, everyone is being responsible and everyone is respecting the need to wear a mask indoors and use the liberal amounts of sanitiser.

Out of all of the Europeans we've been freely talking to since July 4th, we Brits are clearly the most paranoid.

I must admit it does get a bit irritating when the “UK” Covid death figures are posted by the Westminster government when there haven’t been any deaths in Scotland for days and days now, I think the attitude to Covid is different in all the countries that make up Great Britain.

12 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I must admit it does get a bit irritating when the “UK” Covid death figures are posted by the Westminster government when there haven’t been any deaths in Scotland for days and days now, I think the attitude to Covid is different in all the countries that make up Great Britain.

Well the air corridor between Guernsey and Isle of Man is going down well... Guernsey have much better weather at present and both Islands are avoiding any new cases of covid19. The IOM has 68 days without a single case so far - and life is back to normal..... we are so lucky.....

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mattofe7 said:

I think I’ll lay off reading any more of this part of the forum until people get back on topic.

Agreed.  25 off-topic posts (including several of mine) have been removed.  This thread is about coronavirus, not the BBC or multiculturalism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

I see masks have become mandatory on the StMalo ramparts seems a sensible idea although some locals are complacent about the “dictatorship “ , anyway no Covid deaths for 13 days in Scotland.

Everywhere Intra Muros in fact,  as of 16:30 today. Also useful at the ferry terminal with the smoke of burning pallets and tyres....

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, colin said:

Everywhere Intra Muros in fact,  as of 16:30 today. Also useful at the ferry terminal with the smoke of burning pallets and tyres....

Yep I saw Mont St Michel had done it a week or so ago .