France is due a short heatwave at the end of this week, particularly in eastern and central areas apparently. The authorities are therefore encouraging people to wear their masks but hydrate well too. 

Ed. 

8 minutes ago, jonno said:

No U.K. recorded deaths for the 29th July. It's a first for all of the United Kingdom.

The number of deaths in the UK yesterday as reported was 63 had passed away.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Eddies said:

The number of deaths in the UK yesterday as reported was 63 had passed away.

Indeed. The reporting system has its interesting days. The daily figures I saw earlier did not have any day with zero for England. NI and Scotland have been recording zeros.

The official Scottish figures are here,

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

Scottish numbers: 30 July 2020

• 17 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 0.5% of newly tested individuals. 
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive.
  • 2 people were in intensive care last night with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 260 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 13,208 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

3 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The official Scottish figures are here,

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/

Scottish numbers: 30 July 2020

• 17 new confirmed cases of COVID-19; this is 0.5% of newly tested individuals. 
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive.
  • 2 people were in intensive care last night with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 260 people were in hospital with confirmed COVID-19.
  • 13,208 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results.

How can 0.5% of 13,208 be 17? Or am  I missing something? 

Ed 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

How can 0.5% of 13,208 be 17? Or am  I missing something? 

Ed 

Tests that produced results maybe , I know some self tests don’t produce results.

Yes... my mistake sorry everyone.

Missus' reports are an hour different at moment I should have waited until 1900-2000 local.  Her figures up to 1700 29th July are 38... I was quite chuffed heading out for dinner. oh well.

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

France is due a short heatwave at the end of this week, particularly in eastern and central areas apparently. The authorities are therefore encouraging people to wear their masks but hydrate well too. 

Ed. 

It was in the high 80's here today up around Lisieux and forecast to be in the mid 90's tomorrow.  To be honest perspiration was more of an inconvenience than the mask when worn.

11 minutes ago, jonno said:

It was in the high 80's here today up around Lisieux and forecast to be in the mid 90's tomorrow.  To be honest perspiration was more of an inconvenience than the mask when worn.

To be 85 here in Selkirk tomorrow.

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Tests that produced results maybe , I know some self tests don’t produce results.

That would mean about 3/4 not producing results, the figures are wrong somewhere.

8 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

As has Northern England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53602362

I'll cross it off my 'must visit list' in that case.

We are hopefully off to Monaco/Monte Carlo (on said list) for the day on Sunday, unless the government ban it first.

My memory is that it's more attractive than Burnley but I may be wrong. Cabin-Kid number two has insisted we see a shark this summer, and not in a fishmongers'. Therefore we plan to visit the Oceanographic Museum to grant her her wish and apparently can also stroke the baby sharks too. 

I assume mask wearing in the Principality is the same as in France but perhaps with a different quality of mask. I was told last week that Louis Vuitton were selling their version for 1,200€ a pop but have not revealed this to Cabin-Girl in case she gets any ideas. 

Ed. 

• Haha 2

Arrived in Dublin yesterday aboard WB Yeats from Cherbourg. Covid precautions were in evidence for most of the trip, except end of sailing when we were thrown out of the cabins 30 mins before car decks available (told to assemble in the brasserie!). And as usual the ferry docked well past 1100 instead of 1045 - is it ever on time?. Checkin at Cherbourg was very slow, even with only 50+ vehicles onboard, because instead of handing covid disclaimer forms in the queue each car had to fill them in at the window. On the plus side and to allow passengers to spend as much time in cabins, IF offered a large number of free films via the TVs.

As an aside Dublin Port is still a tip with lots of roadworks and poor signage.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

assume mask wearing in the Principality is the same as in France but perhaps with a different quality of mask. I was told last week that Louis Vuitton were selling their version for 1,200€ a pop but have not revealed this to Cabin-Girl in case she gets any ideas. 

E

It's how they keep the riff raff out .

5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I. I was told last week that Louis Vuitton were selling their version for 1,200€ a pop but have not revealed this to Cabin-Girl in case she gets any ideas. 

Ed. 

But the staff get really snooty if you go for this cheap version . . .

This is extracted from a the Sun online

HALF of Spain's coronavirus patients have never experienced any symptoms and continue spreading the bug without knowing, a new study claims. 

Brilliant no symptoms but still a patient no wonder the hospital beds are filling up🤥

Well it all went a bit mad yesterday ScotRail urging people not to travel on trains to the seaside , police attending disturbances at Portobello beach and the Meadows in Edinburgh,  the small beach at Coldingham shut by police , we went to Eyemouth and it was ridiculous no social distancing so I turned around and left without my fish supper.

Cumbrae ferry suspended due to 'extreme passenger' numbers https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-53608672

Well what do the authorities expect if they ask people to holiday at home, take daytrips and avoid foreign destinations?  The only way to avoid the problem is to say people with even house numbers can go out on even days of the week and vice versa. Ed. 

15 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well what do the authorities expect if they ask people to holiday at home, take daytrips and avoid foreign destinations?  The only way to avoid the problem is to say people with even house numbers can go out on even days of the week and vice versa. Ed. 

They rely on people being 'sensible', like Neil. Unfortunately there is a part of most UK communities who are not!  I can't decide whether they are 'thick', selfish (or both)

• Like 2

The problem is one of how much credibility the Government has in its proclaimations. Our media have decided that spreading fear and panic is the way to go and have done so with gusto, making some people terrified beyond the reality of it all, which is unforgiveable. European media have been much more sensible, accurate and have avoided hysteria (Piers Morgan for one). This weeks Northern lockdown, its now emerging, was based on an increase of 14 yes 14 new cases out of 112,000 tested. Its supposed to be so bad that you can have any number of tradesman round the house, that you don`t know, go to the pub every night ditto restaurants both with no masks but your parents/kids/grandkids are banned both inside and out. Is it any wonder people take no notice..Then comes `lockdown fatigue` people simply will only tolerate it for so long.It might be the correct way but its just not going to happen. Sure if it hadnt been so hot it might have been different but there is a reality here that we must all face, accept and deal with personally. 

I can`t see any change in attitudes until the bad weather arrives. Just my views of course

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, nottingham said:

They rely on people being 'sensible', like Neil. Unfortunately there is a part of most UK communities who are not!  I can't decide whether they are 'thick', selfish (or both)

The problem is that if everyone was sensible then nobody would go and the locals who depend on visitors would start complaining. There must be somewhere in the UK where people are sensible, in the middle somewhere. Any suggestions, Nottingham? 😉 

Ed. 

Posted (edited)

I detect a considerable degree of selfishness on a significant part of the population. When you listen to holdidaymakers who have had their plans cancelled or cut short there is a definite note of' entitledment' on the part of many, The virus is seen as something which is aimed at them personally, aided and abetted by HMG to deprive them of their entitlement to their summer holiday. Theyseem to find it difficult to appreciate the overall contect of the situation the country is in and simply focus on their own personal grievances. No sense of social responsibility to help protect others.

There is really no excuse for the scenes we are seeing where whole crowds are simply ingnoring social distancing both indoors and outdoors and behaving as if everything is totally normal. They will be the first to complain if their selfish behaviour drives the country into another lockdown as is looking more and more likely.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

The minute a government minister says in April that they will not take a foreign holiday this year (and advising against it for the rest of us) is then discovered in trapped in Spain on holiday in July talking about 'guidance' and 'personal choice' as an excuse who then returns home to isolation while still constantly tweeting telling people not to use public transport well I am afraid all is lost.

Especially when they have not been sacked.

The entitled idiots aren't all on the beaches.

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 3