I live next to one of the main roads near the beach in Bournemouth and yesterday it was gridlock from midday onwards well until late evening.  I had my windows opened and was subjected to constant impatient horns all afternoon.  To me it was like the busiest days of the Air Festival when over a million people usually descend on us.  I went nowhere near the beach myself, too hot for me out so stayed away from it all.  But to be honest, I think that unless Johnson announces another FULL lockdown the situation will continue.  It is the height of summer and there is a large element of society that will venture to the beaches regardless of the virus.  

Here's something that BF could introduce on board, in the PA spa for example or on any of the ships which have a little spare retail space. Cabin-Girl and Cabin-kid number 1 gave it a try and said it tickled but was not an unpleasant sensation. 

Ed

DSC_0423.JPG

DSC_0418.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The problem is that if everyone was sensible then nobody would go and the locals who depend on visitors would start complaining. There must be somewhere in the UK where people are sensible, in the middle somewhere. Any suggestions, Nottingham? 😉 

Ed. 

Here in Cornwall I think most have been sensible but as you say we need the tourist or the economy is gone, but it's now getting out of hand, we're just sitting tight and hoping the worst doesn't happen.  It doesn't help when visitors say "You haven't got it here", they are too thick to realise thousands coming to holiday hotspots will bring it and spread it.  I'm sure Ian in Scotland and Khaines in Bournemouth will feel the same.

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Here's something that BF could introduce on board, in the PA spa for example or on any of the ships which have a little spare retail space. Cabin-Girl and Cabin-kid number 1 gave it a try and said it tickled but was not an unpleasant sensation. 

Ed

DSC_0423.JPG

DSC_0418.JPG

I had a fish pedicure in Bournemouth around 8 years ago.  Agree, it is a real weird sensation when you put your feet in and the fish latch on.  I would describe it as someone tickling the soles of your feet.  I remember giggling a fair bit as I tried to suppress the urge to move my feet away and after about 10 seconds the tickling stopped and although the sensation was still strange it was a lot easier to keep my feet still.  The fish eat the dead skin on the feet.

7 minutes ago, Khaines said:

The fish eat the dead skin on the feet

The woman explained that they don't actually eat the skin. They have no teeth and therefore simply peel off the dead skin with their lips by nibbling at it and then spit it out. It's what they do to eat vegetation on the rocks in their native middle-east freshwater lakes but in that case they detect that it's edible and swallow rather than spit. Ed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

Similar concept is FOC on the outside decks of the Olympia Dream, a shuttle ferry on a 70 minute crossing in Japan; and the funnel keeps you warm at the same time.

image.thumb.png.f9d1e00d46b94cb27a72ef8bad278483.png

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

Similar concept is FOC on the outside decks of the Olympia Dream, a shuttle ferry on a 70 minute crossing in Japan; and the funnel keeps you warm at the same time.

image.thumb.png.f9d1e00d46b94cb27a72ef8bad278483.png

Perfect. With PA's funnel set up like that you could get a lot of people in all at once. Ed. 

Posted (edited)

Memories of a trip on Waverley, coming home on a September evening as the sun was going down - bit of a nip in the air developing and people were gathered around a vent above the engine room next to the funnel and the warm air coming out was very welcome!

Edited by Khaines

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perfect. With PA's funnel set up like that you could get a lot of people in all at once. Ed. 

On the Steam Packet side loaders there was an exhaust air vent that you could stand behind on the vehicle spiral ramp. Kept many warm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

The problem is that if everyone was sensible then nobody would go and the locals who depend on visitors would start complaining. There must be somewhere in the UK where people are sensible, in the middle somewhere. Any suggestions, Nottingham? 😉 

Ed. 

Well ........... Scotland apparently leads the way!  I can't particularly commend my home town - we have 'escaped' to rural Suffolk for a week.  On the way to our digs we did stop off in Beccles, (emergency visit to Boots as someone had forgotten her hair dryer and straighteners - huh!) very quiet really - we had a drink at a street table outside a Spoons and it was very pleasant, no crowding or misbehavior at all.  We'll leave a coastal trip till after the weekend.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nottingham said:

They rely on people being 'sensible', like Neil. Unfortunately there is a part of most UK communities who are not!  I can't decide whether they are 'thick', selfish (or both)

You ask that question when people build cities on flood plains, earthquake faults, under volcanoes, subject to the havoc of Tsunami's, burn tonnes of fossil fuels, produce mountains of plastic, destroy millions of square miles of forest ,live under the false impression that they are the dominant life form on the planet and are in control and kill to get what they want?

... only to have a microscopic teeny tiny virus knock it on it's backside.

Humans have always been thick & selfish, it's what defines the species.

A recently learned fact - our local hospital (Frimley Park) current has 3 Covid inpatients - down from a peak of 400.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim said:

A recently learned fact - our local hospital (Frimley Park) current has 3 Covid inpatients - down from a peak of 400.

There’s 2 reported cases in NHS borders area neither in hospital.

On 31/07/2020 at 06:46, Cabin-boy said:

I'll cross it off my 'must visit list' in that case.

We are hopefully off to Monaco/Monte Carlo (on said list) for the day on Sunday, unless the government ban it first.

My memory is that it's more attractive than Burnley but I may be wrong. Cabin-Kid number two has insisted we see a shark this summer, and not in a fishmongers'. Therefore we plan to visit the Oceanographic Museum to grant her her wish and apparently can also stroke the baby sharks too. 

I assume mask wearing in the Principality is the same as in France but perhaps with a different quality of mask. I was told last week that Louis Vuitton were selling their version for 1,200€ a pop but have not revealed this to Cabin-Girl in case she gets any ideas. 

Ed. 

No, Burnley can definitely wait.

Ed

DSC_0427.JPG

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ZinedineBiscan said:

Just wait until you try Colne....that will blow this place out of the water....

I've tried 'eau de colne' and that smelt quite nice so I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the town has to offer. 😀

Ed. 

As someone who commutes from the sunny side of the Pennines to Burnley four times a week (at least normally) the only thing Colne has to offer is spectacular rush hour traffic jams. The Sainsburys is pretty conveniently located too I suppose.

On 01/08/2020 at 09:05, Cabin-boy said:

Ed. 

Well ........... Scotland apparently leads the way!  I can't particularly commend my home town - we have 'escaped' to rural Suffolk for a week.  On the way to our digs we did stop off in Beccles, (emergency visit to Boots as someone had forgotten her hair dryer and straighteners - huh!) very quiet really - we had a drink at a street table outside a Spoons and it was very pleasant, no crowding or misbehavior at all.  We'll leave a coastal trip till after the weekend.

On 01/08/2020 at 09:05, Cabin-boy said:

Ed. 

Unfortunately if its a choice between complaining or dying I am sure those locals would eventually see sense....🤕

I attach a section of a letter received today from the CEO of the firm who run the care home looking, excellently, after my father.

I simply want to draw attention once again to the continuing gap between the public statements of the government, I use the term in it's purely theoretical sense you understand, and what is actually going happening on the ground.

If you would like to bring it to the attention of your MP and ask them what the heck is going on I would not want to stop you.

Andrew Knight Letter Extract.jpg

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Millsy said:

I attach a section of a letter received today from the CEO of the firm who run the care home looking, excellently, after my father.

I simply want to draw attention once again to the continuing gap between the public statements of the government, I use the term in it's purely theoretical sense you understand, and what is actually going happening on the ground.

If you would like to bring it to the attention of your MP and ask them what the heck is going on I would not want to stop you.

Andrew Knight Letter Extract.jpg

Love to send this to my MP but not sure of the validity as it is anonymous. Though I suppose most forms of social media are too. Any others got any thoughts. If we had the name of the parent company this would give it more weight and maybe get a response from the MP.

I fully support your intentions Millsy

What’s all this about the over 50s being asked to shield then, been reading several stories in the media about it.  No way will I do it, the air turned a dark shade of blue at mine reading that.  Link is the Mirror version where it is being denied, but several papers are carrying the story about over 50s possibly being asked to shield.  Asked not told then - and I would not stay indoors even if I was told to. This has to be a crazy idea.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-minister-denies-claims-millions-22460016?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mirror_main

• Like 1