Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

21 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps they aren't interested or don't have the resources to be interested. But you travelled back, like my sister, before the quarantine was imposed so it's possible that they are now far more vigilant and asking for proof. Until someone in the forum travels back from Germany, or tries to pretend they are doing so, and let's us know how it went we won't really know. Ed. 

Very true...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

We've a young crowd in here today!

The Corona virus hit Roscoff overnight, several victims in a critical state.....🤪 Chris

Posted Images

Thought I would lighten the mood a bit, when I was in hospital getting the procedure done I lost a lot of blood and it overran so they decided to keep me in which involved me getting a Covid test which by all accounts isn’t a regular occurrence in the colonoscopy department, there was much debate between the staff about who was going to do the test and it was eventually decided that the senior charge nurse was going to do so he got the kit told a heavily sedated me what he was going to do and proceeded to prepare to start the test and got me to open wide “well that’s not going to work is it’ causing me to go into a sedated panic “what’s wrong?” I said “well it’s your tongue it’s massive and I won’t get to your tonsils just wait a minute I will see if we’ve got a bread knife or a spoon to hold it down” not exactly reassuring when your sedated, but it did cause much amusement when I replied that “I could still get out the bed and hunt him down carrying my drip” 

Anyway two tests and a suitable massive tongue flattener later it came back negative and everything is fine now.

• Like 1

I'm glad everything worked out OK for you Neil. 

I had my colonoscopy yesterday afternoon and everything was fine. The doctor made some comment along the lines of 'Dyno Rod couldn't have done a better job' in relation to my preparation. I was under a general anaesthetic so felt nothing. The biggest issue was the disgusting liquid you have to drink twice prior to the procedure. The alternative is apparently 34 pills to swallow with 4 litres of water. Surely if we can put a man on the moon we can make a medical product taste of synthetic orange squash!

Ed. 

• Thanks 1

The laxative is truly vulgar but certainly works that’s for sure, I would have jumped at the chance of a general anaesthetic this one was far worse than the first due to the amount of air put in to help expand the colon to remove the polyp but the check up in 3 months should be ok. 

Went into Leicester this morning for the first time since March. (Essential trip). On our walk to the center through some areas with shops that had been struggling to survive before the pandemic it is now total decimation of the retail shops. with For Sale / To Let signs everywhere I expected it to be bad but to see it really brings it home. As an aside I would say about 80% of people were wearing masks in the street. It was early so not a lot of the surviving shops were open. On passing the small indoor market (mainly meat & fish) A guy was at the door making sure you wore a mask and used the hand sanitiser  Interestingly he had a colleague at the exit with another hand sanitiser 

We got back late Saturday and yesterday, Monday, my wife was telephoned and 'checked up' on. I have heard nothing. Proves my theory that somewhere on the Gov.uk site there is a field identifying the trustworthy from the less so. But I had better not gloat too much just yet.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, rogerpatenall said:

We got back late Saturday and yesterday, Monday, my wife was telephoned and 'checked up' on. I have heard nothing. Proves my theory that somewhere on the Gov.uk site there is a field identifying the trustworthy from the less so. But I had better not gloat too much just yet.

Similar experience here. Got through Portsmouth border control at 1030pm on Friday, wife got a call around 10am Saturday. To our surprise they said Friday was day 1 of quarantine. But I still haven't been called. Bet they wait until day 14 just to make sure we don't jump the gun and sneak off to the pub for an early celebratory pint!

17 hours ago, rogerpatenall said:

Do they insist on you providing a landline number or will a mobile suffice? Ed. 

11 hours ago, TerryDorset said:

Got through Portsmouth border control at 1030pm on Friday, wife got a call around 10am Saturday. To our surprise they said Friday was day 1 of quarantine.

That is just wrong, shows how well trained they are, the legislation (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/568/regulation/4/made)  says-

(7) P must, on their arrival in England, travel directly to the place at which they are to self-isolate, and must then self-isolate until whichever is the earlier of—

(a)the end of the 14th day after the day on which they arrive in the common travel area, or

(b)their departure from England.

38 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Do they insist on you providing a landline number or will a mobile suffice?

I put just a mobile number on my form & it didn't complain, however I returned 7 hours before the start !

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

I put just a mobile number on my form & it didn't complain, however I returned 7 hours before the start !

That makes sense I suppose as a tourist wouldn't necessarily have a phone in a rental property. I wonder how they deal with tourists arriving in camper-vans.

Do you think they also geo-locate the mobile during the call?

Ed. 

What happens if you turn your phone off to charge it, then, this is a necessity and if they ring you while your phone is on charge they won’t get an answer, so what do they do.  Does a phone show it’s location if turned off?  Could people go out and leave their phones at home “on charge” and use a different phone.  I bet there are ways around it.  Buy a PAYE phone and take that out.

I don't think that the programme is designed to 'try and catch you out'. The call that Wendy had was a friendly explanation of what being in quarantine entailed, what you should do if you feel unwell, and what other help may be available. Not exactly Police State material.

• Like 2

Who turns their phone off to charge it? Does anyone have the information as to how many follow-ups have been done. In Ireland they've only phoned 10% of incomers and only 50% of those actually answered the phone.

19 hours ago, Khaines said:

What happens if you turn your phone off to charge it,

I turn on my phone to make calls then turn it off again. Anyone using my mobile number is likely SPAM.

15 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

I turn on my phone to make calls then turn it off again. Anyone using my mobile number is likely SPAM.

Actually that is what I do - got fed up with spam calls.  We all managed perfectly well before mobiles.  

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

My mobile is for emergency only and that's not always going to be practical as the battery is usually flat. Very rare it ever leaves the house. Land line is ignored always junk calls.

Kids keep in touch using the wife's phone or Ipad. I am proof you can exist without a mobile phone

• Like 2

I'm a bit of a dinosaur.  I was offered a smart mobile phone in my last years at work.  "You'll get your e-mails instantly even when on the move" they said ........ err no thanks!  So I have a basic model, text and calls only - does me fine, and seems much safer than life with 'apps'.  I decide when I see my e-mails etc on my laptop - usually once a day.  Easy life!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, nottingham said:

I'm a bit of a dinosaur.  I was offered a smart mobile phone in my last years at work.  "You'll get your e-mails instantly even when on the move" they said ........ err no thanks!  So I have a basic model, text and calls only - does me fine, and seems much safer than life with 'apps'.  I decide when I see my e-mails etc on my laptop - usually once a day.  Easy life!

Work mobile put me off for life every man and his dog felt they could call twenty four seven and were most upset if you didn't answer.

• Like 1

I remember getting assessed for a disability benefit and the Department of Work and Pensions called me when I was in the middle of Sainsbury’s.  Not exactly somewhere I could have a private conversation.  Or my mother phoning me when I am poking around in town. Often a phone call puts me right of my train of thought and I forget what I was thinking about before it.  I prefer to be called on my land line in the evenings when I am in, it is private and I feel much more comfortable talking then.  Not one for having my phone glued to my ear.  I don’t miss what I never got into the habit of in the first place.  My internet at home is a mobile broadband Osprey which I turn off when not wanting to be online.  My iPad is turned off and in my bag and I periodically come online during the day.  

• Like 1