Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

5 hours ago, BobCrox said:

Do you really prefer a foreigner like Murdoch to decide what you should read? He isn't called the Dirty Digger in Australia for nothing.

I thought that soubriquet was thought up by Private Eye when he bought The Sun. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

We've a young crowd in here today!

Thanks for asking @jonno No change I’m afraid, felt a little better yesterday but a little worse today. Trying to rest as much as possible. Think the missus is on the mend though, she’s now

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Millsy said:

I thought that soubriquet was thought up by Private Eye when he bought The Sun. 

It was current in Australia before he bought the Sun. Especially after he bought out the paper supplier to his liberal rival and starved them of material to print on. Not a man to believe in democracy.

2 hours ago, hhvferry said:

Come on, people are allowed to do whatever they like in their spare time (lockdown restrictions permitting). I don't see what relevance that has to what happens during their work hours.

It sticks in the craw though, that when we are having so many problems with getting people to go back to work that so many find time to disrupt the lives of others purely for their own selfish views.  Regarding “spare time” when you are talking about family GPs who are not at their surgeries how do we know whether they are in their spare time or not?  If I was in an accident and it was in the daytime during work hours and my GP could not be contacted because he was with XR, now that would be not a good enough excuse for me, I would be mightily P’d off.  If he is on holiday then so be it, everyone is entitled to holidays, but come off it, the UK has had one hell of a long one since March, and at the moment it seems a lot would like to keep it that way.  

Those. XR protestors, along with the other various protestors engaging in large gatherings whether anti lockdown, anti mask wearing, anti immigration and those counter protestors who support the immigrants, all they are doing is, in my opinion, helping to keep this virus going.  And affecting our travel options as well, all adds up alongside the quarantine stuff.  Doesn’t help us get our ferries back either!

Well forgive me for asking the question but Is it being suggested that Murdoch is standing over his editors telling them what to priint, in which case why has the Times carried so many  major pieces emphatically warning about the dangers of global warming?

Do tell.

36 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

It was current in Australia before he bought the Sun. Especially after he bought out the paper supplier to his liberal rival and starved them of material to print on. Not a man to believe in democracy.

Oh I agree - he's never had any of my money. (At least not knowingly.)

• Like 1

No. I haven't bought a daily paper since 1992. I worked out I could have an extra week's holiday for the same money. Working in the trade press from 1999 was quite enough for me thanks.

Well, there you go then! Personally I prefer to expose myself to as much information as possible to try and make some sense of this world of ours and the national press is quite important to me as one source of informed comment and argument although I respect your choice to do otherwise.

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

Well forgive me for asking the question but Is it being suggested that Murdoch is standing over his editors telling them what to priint, in which case why has the Times carried so many  major pieces emphatically warning about the dangers of global warming?

Do tell.

Watch this and you can see Murdochs influence 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kxw0

Everything seems so depressing at the moment.. The Government's policies are all over the place and lack credibility. The four nations in the UK are unable to agree on policy despite having exactly the same data to draw upon. A signifiicant element of the population doesn't give a damn about social distancing or the risk of spreading the virus and there seem to be increasing local outbreaks which are crippling local economies both here and abroad.

Hibernation would appear to be the best option.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Well, there you go then! Personally I prefer to expose myself to as much information as possible to try and make some sense of this world of ours and the national press is quite important to me as one source of informed comment and argument although I respect your choice to do otherwise.

I do tend to get a variety of papers - I get our local Echo, but will also get the Mail and Mirror, only buy the Sun if there is anything I particularly want to read in it, a feature or something.  Only paper I cannot abide is the Express, although I do buy it Sundays for the magazine if anything, but I hate their Brexit stance, and bigging up Johnson no matter what he does, Brexit or otherwise.  The Mail has woken up to Johnson at least, but the Express is some kind of warped cheerleader for this Government, so I stopped buying it.

A holiday was infinitely preferable to anything from News International, the nauseous self-righteousness of the Grauniad, the insufferable Torygraph or the fairly pointless Independent. None of my money will go to the Rothermeres either, the Express was irrelevant after the death of Carl Giles and Captain Bob's lot still owned the Mirror. Nothing there worth paying for. It seems that the majority of the population now take the same view. 

• Like 1

A holiday was infinitely preferable to anything from News International, the nauseous self-righteousness of the Grauniad, the insufferable Torygraph or the fairly pointless Independent. None of my money will go to the Rothermeres either, the Express was irrelevant after the death of Carl Giles and Captain Bob's lot still owned the Mirror. Nothing there worth paying for. It seems that the majority of the population now take the same view. 

Well we are perhaps fortunate then. Purchasing a newspaper has had no effect at all on our holiday arrangements unlike Covid-19. I suppose we all use our disposable income as suits us really which is fair enough.

57 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Glad I wasn’t in Edinburgh today

Absolutely shocking. I saw my 79 year old dad last weekend for the second time since February. He has dementia and various other health issues and I couldn't give him a hug because I was too concerned that if I was carrying covid-19 I could kill him.

As I said earlier I buy the papers for a lot of reasons.  Regarding the Express on Sunday, I enjoy reading Mindy Hammond’s page and the crossword in the magazine.  I skip the politics pages as the Express is so rabidly Brexit it is just not worth reading their diatribes and fangirling of the ERG lot.  Just find them just SO biased.  So I ignore their political views.  The Mail in general does a lot of health related features, which I find useful.  Their Brexit views have softened a bit since the change of editor, not nearly as bad as the Express.  Regarding political views, I try and read as much as possible with as much varied information as possible.   I just see with the Express, they seem to absolutely refuse to criticise anything Johnson does, and not just over Brexit either, which I just find so suspicious.  I don’t buy the Telegraph anyway!   

12 hours ago, Millsy said:

What do you do for a crossword?

Well Le Tour seems to be going well only tens of thousands of crowds , riders holding their masks during interviews instead of wearing them, crews changing tires without wearing masks and the crowds pushing riders up the hills , they will be lucky to make it to Paris.

11 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Well Le Tour seems to be going well only tens of thousands of crowds , riders holding their masks during interviews instead of wearing them, crews changing tires without wearing masks and the crowds pushing riders up the hills , they will be lucky to make it to Paris.

I wouldn't worry too much. None of the students who are carrying the virus wake up before 2pm and aren't on the roadside. Plus with a downhill speed of 60mph, I reckon they can outrun any projections. Ed. 

• Haha 1