Message added by Jim,

Please remember - this thread can get a bit heated at times... try to keep politics out of it, and be respectful to the views of others.

Under England's new rules, presumably you can have a party with a total of 12 people as long as 6 stay in the garden and 6 in the house and they pass through different doors to rotate to get food and drinks and use the loo on a 'one in-one out' basis.

Ed

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will be pasta and rice next, how have they got through the stockpiles from March?

We've a young crowd in here today!

Neil’s photo reminded me of my own mother, also a Margaret and 88 years young, lives on her own in a retirement flat near Bristol. She hasn’t seen anyone for over a week now so really important point

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Under England's new rules, presumably you can have a party with a total of 12 people as long as 6 stay in the garden and 6 in the house and they pass through different doors to rotate to get food and drinks and use the loo on a 'one in-one out' basis.

Ed

We normally use the loo on a "one-in-one-out" basis anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I have three grandchildren so in theory my wife and I can't see them. Fortunately if we do and it ever got to court we would have two cast iron defences. One we were testing our eyesight by seeing if we could safely count all the other family members and two we disregarded the law to preserve peace in Northern Ireland. The great thing about both defences is you don't have to provide any proof that either is true.😀

Edited by Rattler43
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Rattler43 said:

I have three grandchildren so in theory my wife and I can't see them. Fortunately if we do and it ever got to court we would have two cast iron defences. One we were testing our eyesight by seeing if we could safely count all the other family members and two we disregarded the law to preserve peace in Northern Ireland. The great thing about both defences is you don't have to provide any proof that either is true.😀

It will be fine if you see the third grandchild in only a "specific and limited way"

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Rattler43 said:

Scotland has just announced a similar restriction, limiting gatherings to 6 people, but children under 12 don't count in the 6.

• Like 1

My daughter has just taken grandson to uni in London from irish Republic and bar for hotels and the university, she was shocked by the lack of social distancing and mask wearing in supermarkets etc, compared to our bit of south east Ireland. 

30 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

My daughter has just taken grandson to uni in London from irish Republic and bar for hotels and the university, she was shocked by the lack of social distancing and mask wearing in supermarkets etc, compared to our bit of south east Ireland. 

This is worrying. We have been in Spain over a week now. Masks are being worn everywhere if some one has forgotten they are reminded by others even in the middle of no where. Spain's infection rate is high so are masks having any effect?

Before the bullets start flying I am in favor of masks

3 hours ago, IanN said:

This is worrying. We have been in Spain over a week now. Masks are being worn everywhere if some one has forgotten they are reminded by others even in the middle of no where. Spain's infection rate is high so are masks having any effect?

Before the bullets start flying I am in favor of masks

Easy, they work properly... If used properly. Unfortunately this means either keeping the mask on and not touching it, and replacing with a fresh one every time it's removed/touched. Seen quite a few noses sticking out.

I also feel that masks has led to people not sticking to 2 m distancing.

58 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Easy, they work properly... If used properly. Unfortunately this means either keeping the mask on and not touching it, and replacing with a fresh one every time it's removed/touched. Seen quite a few noses sticking out.

I also feel that masks has led to people not sticking to 2 m distancing.

The latest fashion seems to be blue chin warmers. So many people aren't wearing masks properly or handling them in a hygienic manner. 

I was in a shop yesterday and the woman behind me in the queue just wasn't getting the distancing. She was barely 2cm from me, never mind 2m.

3 hours ago, elaine80 said:

The latest fashion seems to be blue chin warmers. So many people aren't wearing masks properly or handling them in a hygienic manner. 

I was in a shop yesterday and the woman behind me in the queue just wasn't getting the distancing. She was barely 2cm from me, never mind 2m.

We were in Glasgow yesterday and some of the blue surgical masks that we saw were just manky a stained tobacco brown , a good level of mask wearing but the state of some of them 🤢

• Sad 1

On the subject of your(or Boris') 'rule of 6' coming in on Monday, apparently the French government planned to introduce a similar rule here in May limiting domestic gatherings to 10 participants. They were told not to even think about it by a judge on the grounds that the government can not dictate what people are allowed to do in their own homes when there are no laws to back it up. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

Johnson should have kept the pubs and bars shut and opened the schools earlier - this rise I am certain has a lot to do with pubs opening.  Very coincidental.  Would rather have seen kids back in the classroom than the lairy groups of people that gather in towns.  Pub down the road from me has just had several staff declared positive, 

17 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Johnson should have kept the pubs and bars shut and opened the schools earlier - this rise I am certain has a lot to do with pubs opening.  Very coincidental.  Would rather have seen kids back in the classroom than the lairy groups of people that gather in towns.  Pub down the road from me has just had several staff declared positive, 

I think the 10pm pub curfew would be a good idea.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Latest figures seem to suggest thgat the UK is chasing France in increasing infections. It doesn't look good.

Well, that's exactly what happened in March. The UK was always between 2 and 3 weeks behind the rest of Europe. The Yellow-Jacket movement are planning a protest in central Paris today which they presumably believe is an appropriate response to something. Ed. 

14 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Latest figures seem to suggest thgat the UK is chasing France in increasing infections. It doesn't look good.

It's inevitable, it will happen, it was always inevitable. Whether of course any of these data have any basis in reality at all is quite another matter - but a general upward trend was predictable as no background immunity has been allowed to build up. We are used to the Leader of the Conservative Party and his pals being completely unrealistic but some of the experts haven't been much better it seems to me. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Millsy said:

completely unrealistic but some of the experts haven't been much better it seems to me. 

You need to follow the numbers. The last week of August - week 35 - saw more hospitalised cases across the U.K (164), than week 36 - up to 6th September (126).

The largest groups of cases are in the South East- Devon & Cornwall.

Due to advances in treatment and ongoing maintenance dosages taken in the community their stay as an inpatient is shorter now too.

They're now talking about Birmingham and Solihull, Health Authorities which haven't had a hospitalised case of Covid since week ending August 23rd... Birmingham had 3 and Solihull 1.

As I've mentioned previously, HMG is not listening to local or unitary Health Authorities... the medical staff actually doing the job.

Regardless of infection rates, hospitalised cases and the mortality rate is still falling. Across the U.K more than 50% of other hospitalised cases of statutory notifiable respiratory infection is due to Tuberculosis.

What is very interesting is that the rate of infection for influenza is surprisingly very, very low, in most Authorities 0:0%.

• Like 1

It's certainly true that treatment regimes have improved but I still think the major reason for reduced hospital admissions and death rates so far is people of retirement age being very, very careful not to put themselves in harm's way. Just about all my friends and acquaintances in this category are effectively semi shielding and keeping well away from younger people as much as they possibly can. They can still do things but they don't mix.

Its unrealistic to expect that the younger generation will put there lives on hold for us snow birds. If they had an end date possibly but waiting for a vaccine that may or may not work in an indeterminate time scale no chance. 

27 minutes ago, IanN said:

Its unrealistic to expect that the younger generation will put there lives on hold for us snow birds. If they had an end date possibly but waiting for a vaccine that may or may not work in an indeterminate time scale no chance. 

Also worth remembering that it’s often the younger generation involved in customer facing roles so they are therefore more prone to a risk of infection.