Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

Baie de Seine - Final Day

Today, 'Baie de Seine' departs Portsmouth for the last time, the ship leaves the fleet after 5 years of service with Brittany Ferries. 'Baie de Seine will leave Portsmouth tonight at 23:00, arriving in Le Havre at 06:30 Friday morning. She is then scheduled to depart Le Havre on Saturday afternoon at 15:00, bound for Cherbourg. Then, after a brief spell in the dry dock in Poland, 'Baie de Seine' will return to her owners DFDS.

BDS1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Baie de Seine, I enjoyed many a pleasant crossing to Spain and return voyages from Le Havre. I could have put my name on cabin 1006.

I shall miss shark face. She was on of the biggest surprised when I traveled on her. Comfy, and mashoosive. She looked very good berthed in Le Havre.

and here she is slipping out of Portsmouth Harbour for the last time... very light load onboard. 

BD61138B-E225-40FF-A1D5-1FD2FBD18D7A.jpeg

• Like 2

... and so her work is done. Merci et bon voyage Baie de Seine. 

47653EBC-ED0B-4B02-81B5-497FB5590526.jpeg

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, JONGSKE52 said:

And what about the crews?

Transferred to other ships.

Does anyone know what DFDS have planned for her - presumably back to the Baltic? And whether she'll resume her old name? 

7 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

Does anyone know what DFDS have planned for her - presumably back to the Baltic? And whether she'll resume her old name? 

She's going back as Sirena Seaways sailing on the Klaipeda to Karlshamn route.

• Thanks 1

At least her replacement (when it comes) will be a far superior ferry.   

• Like 2

'Baie de Seine' now departing Le Havre on Monday lunchtime at 12:00 heading to Cherbourg.

Blimey, has it really been 5 years?!

I think that just shows how much change there has been in the last 5-7 year period, compared with previous equivalent lengths of time when it was a '1 in, 1 out' 'rule' when it came to new arrival and departures to the fleet. 

Posted (edited)

Welcome home, Sirena Seaways

Picture taken on board Sirena Seaways at the Polish Remontowa Shipyard. Thank you to Captain Andrejus Simutis for sharing.

There is simply no place like home. After the end of a 5-year charter agreement with Brittany Ferries, Sirena Seaways will once again be back in business with DFDS after she returns from the drydock with an expected delivery on 10 April.

Yesterday, Sirena Seaways entered drydock at the Remontowa Shipyard in Poland where she will receive a total make-over.

Christian Bagger, Superintendent, says: “When Brittany Ferries took over Sirena, they named and rebranded her MV Baie De Seine as well as reconfiguring after their needs with new fenders and removal of walkways among others.

In drydock, we will revert some of these changes, for example adjusting the weather deck to accommodate more trailers (as originally designed). In addition, the construction crew will sandblast the existing coating off to prepare the surface for a recoating that will reduce the hull’s resistance through water to reduce the needed engine power and fuel consumption. We expect an official delivery on 10 April.”

The return of an old celebrity
It is a very familiar face returning to us, as Sirena has a long history with DFDS. She is mostly known for her service on the former-DFDS route Esbjerg-Harwich where she started in 2002 and quickly became a beloved part of the journey until the closing of the route in 2015. Afterwards she was set in service on Paldiski – Kapellskar and Karlshamn – Klaipeda before Brittany Ferries chartered her in May 2015.

Sirena will return to a familiar scenery between Karlshamn and Klaipeda.

IMG_20200325_114458_8-1030x773.jpg

https://www.dfds-news.com/ships/welcome-home-sirena-seaways/?fbclid=IwAR0vWRiJLQa0JY6xKzkoiAX6xAT9LT-WV1Xw43nhdCbaP9FD49Ag_qtMQdk

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 4

'Baie de Seine' is officially no more, the vessel has been reverted to her former name, 'Sirena Seaways' and registered in Klaipeda.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Latest video from PortalMorski.pl from April 28th, you can catch a brief glimpse of 'Baie de Seine' (now Sirena Seaways) in the DFDS Livery at 1:44.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

As Sirena Seaways is no longer a BF ship, time to close this thread.  Continuing discussion of her re-entry into service for DFDS can take place in the DFDS threads in Other Ferry Operations.  Historic discussion of her time with BF can now take place in the Memory Lane forum.

Many thanks Tony for all the updates on her return to DFDS.

End of an era - I’ve been trying to think which was the last chartered ship to leave the BF fleet and be handed back to her owners, but I’m struggling.  Might be back in the 80s, perhaps Gotland?  We’ve had it the other way round, with Barfleur, but generally chartered ships have ended up getting purchased by BF before leaving the fleet.  Maybe that’s another one for the quiz!